View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I would certainly chose a fast, agile, and trainable breed if you hope to do agilility. I do agility with 2 northern inuits. Hard work is all I can say. Whilst they thoroughly enjoy it they have a very short attention span and can be very difficult to keep focused. They also very quickly lose interest in toys. Sacha aged 4 has only recently clicked and a few weeks ago won her first class. Liadan has entered a couple of shows but we are still working on it

My 7 month old BSD is a totally different story. He is doing puppy agility. Poles on ground, touch points on the floor, tunnels etc. He is so easy and totally loves working with me.

A couple of pics of Sacha and Liadan

Sacha

Liadan

aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Many flatcoats are good at agility - so you could have your gundog and agility dog in one beautiful packet.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2010, 07:00 PM
At the club i go to there are two weimeraners, a wheaten, an aerdale (sp?) standard poodles, cockers, and of course collies Even my older lady Willow (bitsa) has a go sometimes
But as long as they enjoy it, i think you could do it with any breed and just a reminder, they shouldn't do proper agility, jumping etc until over 12months old

My Willow having a go at weaves on her 11th birthday

Jann
xxx
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I have done agility with my 2 Kerry Blue terriers. Cherry was very good at it and came 3rd out of the whole school of dogs in different classes when they had a competition and she had only been doing it for 6 months. Our trainer was an international judge and she thought Cherry was very good.

Parker was slower but enjoyed it anyway.

Cocker spaniels and Jack Rusells are quite fast if you want a different breed than a Collie.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
The only dogs I wouldnt say for agility are really giant heavy breeds
any dog that can run about and jump in real life is fine for a bit of fun

I do wanna add tho, I would never get a dog just FOR agility, because then the dog you get might not enjoy it (no idea why tho, its great fun for them if trained that way) or might not be able to do it
imo you do agility as a fun hobby to make your pets life happier
I hate to see people who get rid of dogs because they cant do their hobby with them
oh no i would never do that!!! its like with showing if the dog didnt enjoy it then i wouldnt do it, im just lucky daphni does like it but id never get rid of her if she decided she didnt. and im not thinking about one just for agility im just thinking its something id like to try and as i like boxers whether they could do it too, or what other unusual breeds do it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Boxers can do anything you wish them to,

Do YouTube search for Boxers and activities ans you sill see what they are capable of
thanks for that i will have a watch later on
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Chloe just do agility with the cresteds! I have never seen a crested not fly around a course as happy as can be!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Many flatcoats are good at agility - so you could have your gundog and agility dog in one beautiful packet.
oooh dont, i love my flatcoats lol stormy at work is for rehoming, and id love to have him

hes beautiful and hes soo well behaved. kept trying to convince nana but she wasnt having it
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Chloe just do agility with the cresteds! I have never seen a crested not fly around a course as happy as can be!
i know i want to try it with daph anyway, but i want a bigger dog too, you know i like my big dogs thinking boxer or dobie
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i know i want to try it with daph anyway, but i want a bigger dog too, you know i like my big dogs thinking boxer or dobie
Shame on you who needs a big dog, when you can have two small ones with big dog characters (Joking)!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >