View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I worry about the security of them, we dont live in a particularly good town for that, that is the one issue I have with them. They have been known to get their children to get in and open the door.
The locks on then can be easily kicked out, but then if they are determined to get in they will, so it is really up to you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Best thing I ever bought! But I have a totally secure garden. The dogs have constant access to outside and I don`t have to get up to let them out at night.
Security? I`ve got 2 GSDs
Only one con - I have to repair it occasionally as Daisy hurtles through at top speed.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I've never been overly sure about dog flaps but then technically i'd have to remove half the door to allow Monty free access in and out the house!!
You'd be surprised what a large dog can fit through!
Teagan is 8 stone, and bigger than boxers, and the dog flap isn't *that* big considering!

Originally Posted by rubythebeagle View Post
Can you lock dog flaps then? I do try and lock the cat flap now, normally when she has been going in and out constantly playing! Only problem is i have forgotten to open it again at bedtime and then the cat has been locked in and repayed me by peeing on the dogs bed in the lounge
Mine doesn't 'lock' as such, it has another piece of plastic that slides down, and clicks into place.

Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I worry about the security of them, we dont live in a particularly good town for that, that is the one issue I have with them. They have been known to get their children to get in and open the door.
The locks on then can be easily kicked out, but then if they are determined to get in they will, so it is really up to you
I worried about security, but at the end of the day I thought if someone wants to break in - they are going to do it regardless of me having a dog flap or not. I bet most of the people who's houses have been broken into don't have a large dog flap!

Also, lucky for me i'm not overlooked, but to get into my garden it would have to be over a 7' hawthorn hedge, or through next doors garden - who have 5 Rotties

I love my dog flap, it means I can go out for the day and not worry that Teagan is stuck inside and can't get to the loo!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I worried about security, but at the end of the day I thought if someone wants to break in - they are going to do it regardless of me having a dog flap or not. I bet most of the people who's houses have been broken into don't have a large dog flap!

Also, lucky for me i'm not overlooked, but to get into my garden it would have to be over a 7' hawthorn hedge, or through next doors garden - who have 5 Rotties

I love my dog flap, it means I can go out for the day and not worry that Teagan is stuck inside and can't get to the loo!
Oh this is going to sound so bad but they have done some incredible things here. a friend has two GSD's and they had a doggy door, so they got two people to go each side of the house and bang on the fence and got both the dogs out of the house, they smashed a window, went and blocked off the doggy door. People around here fence jump quite regularly, they tend to miss our yard though, and yes I totally agree if they are going to get in at the end of the day they are going to get it.
So anyone feel like visiting yet
Vicki84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Tia also broke the cat flap as a puppy when she got too big to squeeze through it! I then decided to buy her a dog flap.

I think that it was a great investment. The only downside is that they run mud through the house when the garden is wet in winter. I am now in the process of paving the garden to prevent this!

If you do decide to get a dog flap, make sure that it is light enough for your cats. Dog Mate do a light weight one.
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-03-2010, 01:13 PM
When Nanuq ate the second cat flap we decided to get a dog flap. Both dogs use it but more so Nanuq, when we are in he likes to sit in the back yard where it is cooler for him. He is crated when we are out as he likes to bring the contents of the yard into the kitchen which is most unpleasant especially when it involves all the recycling.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks so much for all the replys.

I think that the mud that comes in and out with them would be my main gripe as Ruby was using the cat flap through all the snow and rain and i was constantly cleaning the floor. Security wise, we are in quite a nice little neighbourhood, but if anybody did decide to get in then Ruby would just want to play with them!

The only other problem i could see is that when Ruby is well and truely out of the 'puppy' phase i will be looking to let her have the run of the house (she is caged at the moment when im out) and she does have a tendancy to bark at the cat when she is in the garden...and if im not there it could go on for a long time, not sure what the neighbours would think to it! Or worse still she could do it of a night and wake me up

Oh dear decisions decisions, the cat flap at the moment is stuck together with tap, and is not as 'flappy' as it should be
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Nothing constructive to add - but wanted to say that my 18 month old Estrela bitch can still get out the cat flap and she's about the size of a GSD male.
Blimey

This could well mean that Ruby will always manage to squeeze through............although she isnt exactly great at it at the moment, shes a bit clumsey
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2