Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Charmed One
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2005, 10:23 PM

Who feeds The Whole Carcass?

Just wondering how many of you feed the whole chicken frame my dogs loves them but not to sure how many to give we have been feeding barf for some time now but we are new to the frames we have always given wings,necks,backs and mince but since we found this new butcher we have been getting frames just wondered how many we should give they are on around 5/6 aday with a vegie mix (we have Bullmastiffs)
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Hi
Yes I feed mine the whole Carcass.

Not sure I can help you with how many is enough.

My 2 dogs ( Bull Mastiff Cross and a Boerboel ) are not on BARF .

I feed my 2 dry food every day, but give then a Frame every second day.

I still worry sometimes as I found a bone about an inch long stuck in my Boerboels gums about 3 weeks ago.

So I did not give them any for a week, but back to normal now.

Just have to keep an eye on them me thinks..

Take Care

Ashley...
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

30-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Yes I used to feed them, only ever gave them about 1 each per week/fortnight, mine are labs tho
I`m sure it`ll be in 1 of my books & will look later for you but think someone might be on before then to let you know
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 10:43 AM
I feed complete carcasses.My dogs weigh about 22 Kg each and get 1 carcass each for a meal.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-09-2005, 04:34 PM
I used to feed my AB whole carcasses. At the time he weighed around 50kg [110lbs]. I used to feed them for tea and give him 2 which was plenty. The only thing was he used to eat them too quick.What i do now is mince them. I usualy get about 30 carcasses at a time from the butcher and i bought a electric meat grinder from www.northerntooluk.com and run them through that using the middle size mincing plate supplied. They make a great mince and then i freeze them in individual 1lb bags. I also do this with chicken wings. It sounds a lot of hassle but it is really easy and takes no time at all. I also run about 50lbs of mixed veg [carrot, brocoli,cabbage,spinach parsley etc] through at a time on the fine mincing plate and freeze that aswell in small individual cartons. As i feed both my dogs a barf diet i know exactly what they are getting and i usually feed say green tripe for breakfast then minced carcass and veg for tea. It works really well for them and always no problems with soft waste.....Cheers...Ian...
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I've given Murph half of a carcass at a time, that is after I've taken the chicken off, he has the frame...I'm no butcher so there's always plenty of meat on them!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by IanIOW
i bought a electric meat grinder from www.northerntooluk.com and run them through that using the middle size mincing plate supplied. They make a great mince and then i freeze them in individual 1lb bags. I also do this with chicken wings. It sounds a lot of hassle but it is really easy and takes no time at all. I also run about 50lbs of mixed veg [carrot, brocoli,cabbage,spinach parsley etc] through at a time on the fine mincing plate and freeze that aswell in small individual cartons.
Hi Ian

I went to look at the northern tool website...I found 3 grinders on there...

The electric one...£84.99 (Is this the one you have?) and you say it does veggies too??

and I also found these...

£25.99

£14.99

Do you think you have to have an electric one or would these other two work just as well (obviously with a little more work!)
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi Myschievous, Its the electric one i have [item no. 168620E ]. It is absolutely brilliant. It is capable of mincing 176lbs of meat in 1 hour [not that you would ever do that].The reason i chose that one is that i had a manual one before and it was rubbish. Firstly the workings rusted up within no time and it took forever. The good thing with the electric one is that you have both hands free to feed in the veg etc. The price listed does not include vat or postage so altogether i think it cost me about £120 but it has been well worth it. It is really easy to wash after use as the actual grinding section seperates from the main body which is the motor. If you decide to get one a little tip i will give is after you have washed and dried the mincing plate give it a quick rub over with olive oil or the like just to keep it like new.If you mince the veg using the fine mincing plate it comes out really mushed so the cellulose is broke down so the dog can digest it and get the full benefits of the raw veg. I tend to mince a selection of veg plus parsley added aswell as it is good for the diuretic properties and hepls prevent overheating which is a benefit to one of my dogs that has a skin problem....When i ordered mine i was surpried to find the company was based in Portsmouth not up north as the name would have suggested so there was no problem delivering to the Isle of Wight at any extra cost....Cheers...Ian..
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

01-10-2005, 06:04 AM
Northern tools is USA firm http://www.northerntool.com/

A lot of raw feeders use their grinders, was thinking of getting one myself but cost of p+p to get it here put me off
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Hi Christine, you are right Northern tool has its head office in the states but it has a branch Northerntool uk based in Portsmouth on the south coast[ web addy www.northerntooluk.com ] Perhaps it could be cheaper on the post and packaging to order from here as i see you live in Spain....Cheers...Ian..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >