View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Flynn does struggle to rise and is stiff on it to begin with but then it seems to loosen up and he uses it as normal. He has started to toe touch again whereby, when he is standing, he just rests his back toes on the floor, putting his full weight on the other hind leg. He would also sit with his bad knee swung outwards but that has gone since he was on a course of Metacam.

But he runs and walks as normal, it's just the toe touching and stiffness when first rising from bed that give it away.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks both. I now feel for certain after all the helpful replies it is the cruciate I am still holding out hope it is an injury rather than a tear or part or full rupture I think from what his breeder has said and reading up if it was a full rupture it would of had to of been dealt with by now. One of her boys while cocking his leg went down a rabbit hole on the other leg and ruptured his cruciate she said it dangles when this happens.

So I am hoping rest, maybe hydrotherapy and I am going to get him the liquid glucosamine as this seems better than tablet form and stronger we may still be able to avoid an operation. Especially as he is so young. We shall see what the verdict is on Monday.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Flynn damaged his going down a rabbit hole whilst running, he came back to me holding his leg up in the air. I left it for a few days hoping it would get better but it didnt and thats when the vet told me it was cruciate. Now it's the other leg he is having problems with but that appears to be degenerative rather than from an accident.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thanks both. I now feel for certain after all the helpful replies it is the cruciate I am still holding out hope it is an injury rather than a tear or part or full rupture I think from what his breeder has said and reading up if it was a full rupture it would of had to of been dealt with by now. One of her boys while cocking his leg went down a rabbit hole on the other leg and ruptured his cruciate she said it dangles when this happens.

So I am hoping rest, maybe hydrotherapy and I am going to get him the liquid glucosamine as this seems better than tablet form and stronger we may still be able to avoid an operation. Especially as he is so young. We shall see what the verdict is on Monday.

Good luck Hope it's good news
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Kiara was weight bearing a couple of days after her recent operation. She adopts a strange squat when having a wee, she has her leg forward and doesn't weight bear in it

I find if she's walking slowly she uses it, if she tries to run she lifts it up and doesn't use it at all, I've never seen her dragging it, it's eiter up or down
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Flynn does struggle to rise and is stiff on it to begin with but then it seems to loosen up and he uses it as normal. He has started to toe touch again whereby, when he is standing, he just rests his back toes on the floor, putting his full weight on the other hind leg. He would also sit with his bad knee swung outwards but that has gone since he was on a course of Metacam.

But he runs and walks as normal, it's just the toe touching and stiffness when first rising from bed that give it away.
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Flynn damaged his going down a rabbit hole whilst running, he came back to me holding his leg up in the air. I left it for a few days hoping it would get better but it didnt and thats when the vet told me it was cruciate. Now it's the other leg he is having problems with but that appears to be degenerative rather than from an accident.
Dillon had his in the air for a few minutes then he was weight bearing again before we got to the vet and was not limping badly when by the time we arrived in the evening.
You can see he is not right on the leg but he has been weight bearing ever since being diagnosed by vet after the drawer test. He was on Rymadil high dose for 6 days then off them for almost 3 weeks and seemed to be improving. He is now back to where he was before he started to struggle again on Thursday.

I have heard if one goes it is not unusual later for the other leg to go due to them using the good leg more when compensating for the bad leg. As we left our vet said 18 months and the other one will need doing I am hoping we prove her wrong. His breeder is still saying no one in the breed she knows knows of a young Bernese have their cruciate go. Not as young as Dillon.
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Good luck Hope it's good news
Thank you.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
It's ten years since my lab had to have a cruciate operation on her leg, she was just running and did it. Six months later her other back leg needed doing also. I can't really remember much about it now but I know once she recovered she was fine and it's only this last year or so that she has really started struggling with arthritis in he back legs.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2