Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Skinners or James Wellbeloved?

I've had Stella to the vets today for being itchy and making herself really sore.

He suggested trying her on hypo-allergenic food to see if it helps.

He suggested JWB to me, but whilst mentioning it to a friend, who works for skinners, she said theres not a lot of difference in the two brands and naturally told me to feed Skinners! She's going to try and send me a bag of Skinners Salmon and Rice for Stella to try.

Does it matter which brand I use? Thanks for any help!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:49 PM
No it doesn't matter. Wheat and maize are the main culprits so any foods without those ingredients will be fine. Check your treats of course too.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:50 PM
i use skinners but the duck & Rice as the salmon is about £4 a bag more .. no problems with skin and my collie used to get allot of dandruff before using skinners...
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
No it doesn't matter. Wheat and maize are the main culprits so any foods without those ingredients will be fine. Check your treats of course too.
The vet said the same about treats. He said if I go down the food route, she is not allowed anything other than her food, unless they are hypo-allergenic treats!

I'll probably go with Skinners, seeing as my friend works for them!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:51 PM
I've never fed JWB, but I switched Guinness to Skinners Duck and Rice a few months ago. I made the change because he had terrible wind on his old kibble and when he let one go the smell was eye-wateringly bad.

He seems to enjoy it and is doing well on it. The terrible wind is no longer an issue.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
i use skinners but the duck & Rice as the salmon is about £4 a bag more .. no problems with skin and my collie used to get allot of dandruff before using skinners...
I'm only having the salmon because my friend is sending it to me to try! And she's going to send my local rep round to chat about it at some point as well!

If it does help her, does it matter what flavour she gets?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I've been feeding Skinners for a long time and I am very happy with it. Your friend is right -- the Duck and Salmon flavours are very similar to JWB, only half the price.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I've had Stella to the vets today for being itchy and making herself really sore.

He suggested trying her on hypo-allergenic food to see if it helps.

He suggested JWB to me, but whilst mentioning it to a friend, who works for skinners, she said theres not a lot of difference in the two brands and naturally told me to feed Skinners! She's going to try and send me a bag of Skinners Salmon and Rice for Stella to try.

Does it matter which brand I use? Thanks for any help!
I used JWB with my gang for about 3 years as my Goldie has a beef intolerance. They were happy on it and I only changed as I got a new pup and was re calculating my out put on pet food. JWB is more expensive than Skinners and I considered using this make. If you contact them they are very helpful and will send you samples. In the end I decided to change to CSJ which compared well to both makes, and was perhaps better than Skinners. My local stockist told me the JWB rep told her that CSJ was a better food . CSJ are also very helpful if you email them and tell them what your dog's problems are and will send you samples. They have three ranges which differ in price, none of which is as expensive as JWB.

P.s My Goldie's poo is much better on CSJ

Good luck
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
I've never fed JWB, but I switched Guinness to Skinners Duck and Rice a few months ago. I made the change because he had terrible wind on his old kibble and when he let one go the smell was eye-wateringly bad.

He seems to enjoy it and is doing well on it. The terrible wind is no longer an issue.
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I've been feeding Skinners for a long time and I am very happy with it. Your friend is right -- the Duck and Salmon flavours are very similar to JWB, only half the price.
Thanks both of you!

Skinners it is! If it's cheaper then JWB then I'm more likely to get OH on board with feeding it as well. I've told him I'll pay for special food for Stella, as I might put Misty on it too, as she has started itching alot. Anything is worth a shot! They are both small dogs as well, so a bag should last a while!
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
The vet said the same about treats. He said if I go down the food route, she is not allowed anything other than her food, unless they are hypo-allergenic treats!

I'll probably go with Skinners, seeing as my friend works for them!
You can source loads of hypo-allergenic treats, JWB, Wainwrights, Arden Grange and Fish 4 dogs are just a few
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >