View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2006, 01:32 PM

advice for use on canny collar with long lead...

hi all,

i have had just had my springer boy sam castrated 2 days ago and i'm having to keep him on his lead for the next 10 days (incidentally he is on his lead all the time at the mo cos we are still working on his recall!). i just want to know has anyone used the canny collar with a long lead? is this okay or is it just for short lead walking only?

also, any advice re recall would be very helpful. he does a brill recall at home, in the garden etc, but while we're out he'll come, but when he's good and ready. he's not interested in treats or playing either, he's just interested in where the best sniffs are etc!! i've done attentive training with him on a long lead with just a normal half choke collar, which he's fine with, but as soon as we hit an area with really good sniffs his attention is elsewhere and he pulls like a steam train. i havent used the canny collar yet, but i really dont like keep yanking on his neck all the time. he walks brilliantly to the field, on a loose lead, but as soon as we hit the field he just changes. also i practice short lead walking on the field, which he does really good, but as ive said earlier when i take him where the good smells are (ie. woods etc) his attention is very hard to get! i would love to be able to let him off his lead and as i do with my other springer bronte and let him have a good run, but i dont trust him to come back yet!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 01:47 PM
i dotn think the canny would work that well on a long lead as dont think there would be enough tension on the line to keep the strap in place over his snout - however in saying that on a longer nosed dog it might be ok - it didnt work on my staffie though.

I dont think they are ideal for long leads I think the point is to use them like a halit for walking to heel

but JMO
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Springergirl Mr canny is a member of Dogweb and always happy to help and advise, Why not send him a PM ..
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2006, 01:45 PM
hi,

how would i go about sending mr canny a PM? cheers
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Look in the members list for Mr Canny and then click on his name... you then get his profile and click to send him a message
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by springergirl
hi,
how would i go about sending mr canny a PM? cheers
the right hand side of the profile page,
click where is says ...
(http://www.dogweb.co.uk/member.php?u=1034)

...also Mr Canny has an advertisment banner at the foot of the Dogweb main forum page
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 06:42 AM
thanks very much for your advice!!!! xx