register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 30 of 84 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 80 > Last »
weim1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2009, 11:40 PM
I enjoy ceasar and my dog is very far from being a prisoner,his methods have helped me and her enjoy each other I Think he is awesome and is improving not only himself but the lives of lots of dogs
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Weim1,

How have his methods helped you? Which of his methods do yo sue? We see so much on TV from him stringing dogs up and visibly makin them uncomfortable.

DO uyou use all of his work or do you pick certain pieces of his work and adapt them to suit your own situation?

Do you alpha roll your dog at all? If so, why?

The reason I ask is because I've seen this done naturally wth my own dogs and the submissive dog rolled voluntarily, without force from the bigger, older dog. (Just an example of why I think this one technique isn't advantageous to dog training).

Laura xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Well saw another trailer for his new up and coming series and yet again all I saw was some very frightened dogs being made even more scared by the actions of this man.
Becky
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by weim1 View Post
I enjoy ceasar and my dog is very far from being a prisoner,his methods have helped me and her enjoy each other I Think he is awesome and is improving not only himself but the lives of lots of dogs

Well said
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi, CC, ok we all know you dont use all of CM's methods,

can I ask you why you dont use his string up method?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Hi, CC, ok we all know you dont all of CM's methods,

can I ask you why you dont use his string up method?

Course you can ask

Simple answer though, never needed it. Like I always say, CM's methods (those that are contraversial) are used in dogs with severe behavioural problems. I see that he uses these methods because other training and so on has failed. I don't think he would use "stringing up" if a dog is simply a "yapper" etc.

In the past I have had problems getting the Chis to walk (something not all of them take on board naturally like other breeds, hence many of them seen in bags and under their owners arms). This was quite a problem until I saw a CM programme in the early days (I believe it was a Bichon but it was a couple of years ago, so may be confused with another show). He simply said that you have to be positive (I think the term "send positivity from yourself down the lead" type talk). He said not to coax the dog along (as I had been doing to no avail). He said (if I remember correctly) to walk positively, not apprehensively. To just be confident and walk and the dog will automatically follow. As much as some "antis" don't like to hear it. IT WORKED. This particular dog was Pebbles who had not had a proper "walk" then suddenly, there she was walking like a little soldier!

Also, when the pups started to reach adolescence, there were a few occasions where they'd do the staring out, maybe a toy between them, giving it the "you dare" stare to the other dog. I would speak positively to them, to stop. On occasions, I'd use the finger jab (let me also say here it has been said this is violent but this is not done to in any way hurt the dog - I WOULD NEVER HURT ANY ANIMAL - despite what Pomethean has said about me unfairly and totally inaccurately) to take them from their "trance-like state" to actually tune into me and realise that their leader was not happy with the behaviour. Being the good dogs that they are, they would realise this quickly and would both stop what was about to be a fight.

As I've said before, I know many households with multiple dogs and there can be bedlam between the girls in particular. I have no such problems, simply because I've used CM's methods almost from day 1. I have five intact females (was six until recently) and 2 intact males and yet no fighting or any problem with them at all. I believe it is because the dogs see me as pack leader (which I took from CMs training) and therefore they are not fighting to be "top dog" - because the position is taken - ME (even though I'm not a dog )

Anyway, hope that clears up how and why I feel CM is worth his weight in gold to some owners.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:01 AM
thanks for that CC, I guess the next question has to be, if the jab didnt work, would you move on to more harsh methods, such as stringing up?

I also have a multi dog household, I have had 7 rotties living here in the past, with three stud dogs, never had a problem, without useing CM's methods, so I guess many methods work, if you see what im getting at,

I guess I just want to know how you feel about stringing up, and if you would consider doing it to one of yours?

sorry to put you on the spot.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
If he's so good why this classic mistake. Dog doesn't want to be touched so what does he do? Touch it from behind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS7n7Inb66g
Becky

ETA here's one involving a chihuahua
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGK6KMDOykw
dog is clearly terrified but no it's dominant. He pins the dog down with a finger under the collar but says he's not using force he also lifts the dog up with his hand round it's neck and collar. The he says see he's given up, of course he has the poor animal is terrified.
Becky
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
thanks for that CC, I guess the next question has to be, if the jab didnt work, would you move on to more harsh methods, such as stringing up?

I also have a multi dog household, I have had 7 rotties living here in the past, with three stud dogs, never had a problem, without useing CM's methods, so I guess many methods work, if you see what im getting at,

I guess I just want to know how you feel about stringing up, and if you would consider doing it to one of yours?

sorry to put you on the spot.
No problem, Shona but, unfortunately, I can't give you a straight answer to that question.

The thing is, I learned long ago in life that talk is cheap (I see a lot of that on dog forums ). I could sit here saying this, that and the other but I know from experience, it's one thing to say "you won't ever do it" (as I'm not expecting to) but it's another thing to say that, if I had my dog attacking my friends and visitors to the house! Ultimately, I think I would have to do what I had to do to stop any of my dogs going into Rescue. That is the main thing to me. However, I don't believe in physically hurting man or beast, so I'd have to take the decision when the time came (and I don't think that time will come because I have used the CM methods I use as prevention rather than cure).

Also, the thread is not about what methods we use on a personal level. It's about whether Cesar is improving. I think he's pretty spot on for me and my dogs. I can't say more than that.

Also, to be fair Shona, you say you don't use CM methods but you probably do to a degree. I can't see you having a little old chat with 7 Rotties to get them to obey. Presumably you were pack leader and the dogs knew this, or I can't see how it would have worked. CM's methods are no great news to the dog world. He promotes calm, positivity and leadership in the right direction. I think there are few trainers/behaviourists that could argue with those methods. I think what people object to with CM is the shock collars, etc., but he only uses them when the owners already have them. With regard the stringing up, by which I assume you mean when he has the dog on a lead and holds the dog in position. I have only seen him do this with severely aggressive dogs and in those situations, I'd do exactly the same with a large breed that looked as though it were about to attack me.

Also, I very much doubt Cesar would "string up" a Chihuahua, as it is so easy to control these dogs (in a physical way) as shown in the Nunu clip that Mahooli posted the link of.

Sorry I can't give you a yes or no answer as I think you wanted but I don't want to spout off without ever being in the position of having to deal with a severely aggressive dog and I'm not really thinking that I will ever be in that position, thanks to CM
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
ETA here's one involving a chihuahua
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGK6KMDOykw
dog is clearly terrified but no it's dominant. He pins the dog down with a finger under the collar but says he's not using force he also lifts the dog up with his hand round it's neck and collar. The he says see he's given up, of course he has the poor animal is terrified.
Becky
"Your hand becomes a mouth, and your fingers the teeth. Look, i'm biting"

Why is it ok for CM to bite, but not the terrified little dog, who is being held down by a giant (compared to him)?
Closed Thread
Page 30 of 84 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 80 > Last »