View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Yes I would like to see Scotland independant.

Would love it to be in my father's life time. Would mean alot to him

Take care.

Seoniad
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, for me.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Theories are all good and well, however Herr Salmond would have us signed up before the ink was even dry. Scotland would NOT have the automatic rights to it's own waters

Scotland would be given no choice but to leave the pound at independence, and no choice but to adopt the Euro if it joins the EU. So what if Scotland wishes to join another economic syndicate, or become isolated from the rest of Europe?
Yes, but you said oil companies own the oil, not the state.
And you thought scotland didnt have its own territorial waters like norway, due to the fishing quotas.
However, both of those points are not actually correct.
Of course if scotland joined the EU it would give up some rights to its own waters, which is already the case with scottish waters within the UK in relation to the EU already.
Hence those cod wars in the 70's.
However, westminster owns the drilling licences, thus oil, which is contracts to the oil companies.
Thus the same would apply to hollyrood if scotland became its own state.

There is no fixed answer if Scotland could keep the pound, they may well be able to until they sort their own currency.
Their is also no certainty they would be made to accept the Euro.
At the moment the rules state that accession and member states (except denmark and UK) must eventually join the Euro.
But dont forget the Eurozone is in a process of change.
First Scotland would have to re-apply to join the EU, making them an accession (application) state.
EU accession always take years.
Dont forget other 27 states need to approve scotland joining the EU.
At the moment spain has a policy of blocking kosovo from applying to join the EU.
This is because kosovo is a separatist state, and they do not favour separist states (which is what scotland would be) from joining the EU, due to their own Basque issue. France and Belguim have similar separatist issues
Then they could not join the Euro until they "qualified".
As i said, qualifying criteria will be much different and stricter in the future than what it was before, due to the cock up they made with greece being allowed to join even though they didnt actually meet the criteria at the time.

Then would the SNP be the only party in scotland that would deny the people a referendum on this issue?
Not if they want to be a government, they wouldnt
Imagine the cries of hypocrisy.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
the SNP have actually postponed this for as long as they can, mostly because they know it'll be a no vote.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm Scottish first, British second and would vote yes to independence.

I'm confused as to why we would lose our currency though, we already have our own Scottish pound ( which the majority of English shops won't accept ) so why would we have to change ?.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3