Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Lovely photos Myra - such a shiny coat.

Have you tried raw carrot for chewing, or banana for filling up?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I will try all suggestions, thank you. Need to get him down to about 80 lbs... we are in no hurry, though. Will slowly reduce his food. He can't stand carrots, but he ate the peas my vegetarian mother gave him once... so think that'll work.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2014, 08:01 PM
To be honest I don't tend to weigh the veggie content. Ollie and now Dillon are raw fed so that is weighed and they both had/have raw veg/fruit blitzed. Dillon who has been on steroids for the past month feels he is hungry all the time so I steamed some green beans and fed them alongside his blitzed veg in his raw mix. He eats them no problems so did Ollie.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

06-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Aw MF that is great to hear. Love those photos of him, especially the last one. Lovely smile and those eyes - gorgeous!

Hugs to Nigredo from me xx
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Hey

The food he is currently on is 20% fat. That's kinda high. My point of ref is my boy is on a salmon n potato diet to keep good weight on him ( 16% fat). I looked at the same brand 'diet' version and the fat is 9%. If you found something with lower fat you could give a bit more volume to keep him full?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I will try all suggestions, thank you. Need to get him down to about 80 lbs... we are in no hurry, though. Will slowly reduce his food. He can't stand carrots, but he ate the peas my vegetarian mother gave him once... so think that'll work.
Peas are still protein ( and often used as a source over here) though so not sure how that sits weight loss wise
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2014, 11:05 AM
You're right, Dobermonkey. But he can't stand vegetables otherwise. When he was smaller, he was on the Prey Model raw (I don't like BARF) and he was NOT fat even the slightest.

I can no longer afford to feed him a raw diet, unfortunately and the kibble is making him fat. Dilemmas!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2014, 11:18 AM
He did get a chicken dinner yesterday (with offal, necks, fat free yogurt), but I'll only be able to feed him this 2-3 times a week maximum, and I'm cutting corners to do even that. Was not a big chicken, too costly... and too much.

I gave it to him whole because otherwise, he doesn't chew and it does more harm than good rotting his teeth and giving him gas. Maybe it'll help with his weight in addition to very reduced dog food amounts.

BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Does he have problems with his joints or was it an injury to his leg?
If just an injury, when he's better you could try some sports with him?
Canicross and bikejoring are great, though I was scared of falling off a bike so got a pawtrekker scooter - my boys (puppy excluded) love it!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2014, 12:45 PM
He actually does have mild dysplasia in his OTHER hip (the one he injured is actually perfectly clear) but he's perfectly fine and he's back to his normal self. He moves fine and is normally a regular, active, 20 month Labby guy.

I just let him run about as usual... but he's not very fast and he's awkward and goofy so keeping up in a sports type setting might be hard for him. I do not have a bike and cannot currently really afford one (or ride one).
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >