Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 07:05 PM

New PC

Finally, after 10 years of my current desktop PC, i've bought a new one! I'm in the process of removing all my old files - mp3's and jpegs - on to CD's. My job is made so much harder because I only have a CD writer so a friends helpful suggestion of filing them on DVD's wasnt very helpful! Copying everything 700mb at a time is becoming a long process

My old PC has 512mb memory and 60gb hardrive, the new one has 4gb memory and 1tb hardrive! I told the assistant in PC world that I didnt want anything slow, when he discovered what I had at the moment, he looked at me a bit odd and said "anything you look at is going to be faster, you cant lose".

I cant believe how much i've been left behind in the technology stakes! I couldnt bring myself to have a laptop though, I much prefer to sit at my desk and look at a proper screen and use proper sticky up keys on the keyboard!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 07:19 PM
You might've been better dragging and dropping everything onto memory sticks Bit more expensive but much easier and a lot less likely to be damaged
Or you can buy a memory box of 1 terrabite and use it as a back up for your old and new machine
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I might have to rethink my mp3's because I dont want all those on disc, just want to transfer them to my new PC. I always remove my photos though and store them on CD because I dont want to risk losing them should my PC go belly up! Just didnt realise how they had mounted up!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2011, 07:48 PM
external drive
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Your computer lasted that long? Gosh! I've not had a hard drive last more than a few years.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Oh yes, it's still going strong too, never had a problem with it in all it's 10 years, thats why i've been so reluctant to get a new one!

I'm just starting to get some niggly issues with it so thought I was due a replacement!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd put old & new machine on the same network and copy the files across that way.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I did wonder about that but not entirely sure what i'm doing. I know how to work a computer but not too great on setting them up or fixing things if they go wrong!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-12-2011, 04:58 PM
To be honest, as I don't use Windows I wouldn't know how to either. I'm sure it should be as simple as right clicking on the folder you've got all your 'stuff' in and adjusting the properties to share it over the network, then use explorer on the new machine to browse for that share... Or something similar.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I did wonder about that but not entirely sure what i'm doing. I know how to work a computer but not too great on setting them up or fixing things if they go wrong!
I brought a 1tb a couple of months ago 24in stand alone screen and fast very fast.

To transfer you have to buy a connecting cable( about £15) plug in both Machines to it and it transfer your data.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >