Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:17 PM

Scaratching at floor before bed!

Hi guys, just wanted to no if anyone else has a dog that likes to walk round in circles for ages then scratch the floor before going to bed?

Ziva has done this for a while now and i do no the various reasons for them doing this but i have never seen it in any of my dogs before.

Last night she did her usual taking her toy through to her bed then walking in circles then scratching at the floor, i do find it funny at times but also very annoyin when trying to sleep.

Any tips on how to stop or reduce this as my partner finds it really irritating. Plus she is marking my floors and carpets.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by black666 View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to no if anyone else has a dog that likes to walk round in circles for ages then scratch the floor before going to bed?

Ziva has done this for a while now and i do no the various reasons for them doing this but i have never seen it in any of my dogs before.

Last night she did her usual taking her toy through to her bed then walking in circles then scratching at the floor, i do find it funny at times but also very annoyin when trying to sleep.

Any tips on how to stop or reduce this as my partner finds it really irritating. Plus she is marking my floors and carpets.
Nobody really knows why dogs do this, there is a theory that it is a primitive instinct when dogs flattened reeds or dug a hole to make themselves more comfy or hidden before resting.

These little idiosyncrasies are part of the joy of owning dogs.
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Nobody really knows why dogs do this, there is a theory that it is a primitive instinct when dogs flattened reeds or dug a hole to make themselves more comfy or hidden before resting.

These little idiosyncrasies are part of the joy of owning dogs.
Sure is a joy, love her to bits including her weird and wonderful traits lol.

I have heard and read about the different theories but never seen it in any of my dogs or known of it in friends dogs etc, doesn't bother me much but my partner finds it irritating lol. I like to think of it as her sleepy ritual, it wears her out and she sleeps well.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:27 PM
No he doesn't do that one, but he does do the manover where he lies on his back and spins around in circles like he's breakdancing before collapsing in a flump and beginning to snore.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Dogs like to prepare where they are about to settle. Your partner must have a very low irritability threshold.
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
No he doesn't do that one, but he does do the manover where he lies on his back and spins around in circles like he's breakdancing before collapsing in a flump and beginning to snore.
Well she doesn't do that, not that i have ever seen anyway
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Dogs like to prepare where they are about to settle. Your partner must have a very low irritability threshold.
Dont think he even has one lol. He doesn't mind it some nights just when he is tired, she always waits till we are in bed for bout 10 mins then does it think she likes to play the joker alot
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Maisie has started doing this since I changed the rug in the lounge, bless her tho, cos she can't feel her paws she scratches with her wrists, then flops down nowhere near were she's flattened her rug!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh Dougal does this, on his bed, on the couch, on the chair...and the annoying thing is we have a leather suite...funnily enough he doesn't do it on the floor.

Strange ain't they?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Bailey does it on the doggy bed in the kitchen but only at night!! He'll go on and off it all day and not bother! He doesn't do it anywhere else and my other two don't do it at all.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >