Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You mean a kennel and run?
yes ok, busted for trying to be posh

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Personally I would be wary of leaving a dog outside unattended, too many "what ifs". Dog theft is on the rise, both for ransom and theft to supply dogs "on demand" to buyers. Neighbours with grudges (if the dogs are loud outside, grudges could start up if you don't have any problems so far) could chuck harmful things into the garden, or even just trouble teenagers (we had a young lad go around killing lots of pet cats and the odd dog in the town next to us for sick thrills). Outside there tends to be more distractions so if they're not noisy when left now, they could become noisy when there's birds or cats sat on the fence, people walking close by, dogs barking nearby, etc. and this could become nuisance noise. If they were to escape the garden, they may be loose for 3 hours before you'd even know so could stray very far, get hit by a car and crawl off injured, etc. Given the breeds you own I would be even more wary - NI's hold the appeal of being good looking, unusual dogs, and GSDs have enough of a reputation without the potential for the dog to be barking at the fence, escaping and scaring people (DDA doesn't just apply in bite cases, fear of being bitten can be argued too), as someone who owns "bad" breeds I think it's our responsibility to give the public the best impression we can, and to do that you need to know where your dog is and what it's doing (to a certain degree!) at all times.
A normal dog can easily hold its bladder for 3.5 hours, I would say if you're wanting to give them more freedom then see if you can give them access to more rooms in the house perhaps. If OH gets stuck on a long day (he's an engineer so often just spends half the day on-call), I pop home at lunch, so the dogs have to cope 3 hours in the morning and 3.5 in the afternoon and they do just fine, they're never absolutely busting for a pee when I get home, they've normally just had a few naps.
Thanks for this krylr. I guess am having a guilt trip about leaving the dogs, I absolutely hate leaving them for more than 2 hours as silly as it may seem.
I have to crate Khal (Mikey) as he chews anything he can find, Ruby & Sasi are left in the kitchen but he is in the front living room as there isnt enough room for the crate to be permanantly in the kitchen or the living room next to it until we have the wall knocked down to join them all into one.My OH is an engineer too and does 12-14 hour shifts some days, but we both work 4 days a week & most of the time I can get my days different to his which isnt so bad.
I've never left my dogs outside when I havent been home for the reasons youve mentioned & I know I would be forever worrying about them for those 3 hours or so. I do 9-12 & 1-3:30(to pick kids up, let dogs out) then til 5:30 & I'm home for the rest of the night.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well my dogs manage on MUCH longer than this on their tod ok.
Thanks SB, just worrying too much I reckon. Khal is fine in his crate , doesnt whine or bark as I always leave the front window open and the neighbours love my dogs & say they never hear them. He never pees in there either so guess he must be happy enough.

Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Nope ..
All have access to the garden but never left outside with out someone being here ..
Thanks Murf, thats the way its always been in here, even if I cant see them but am in the house there is a neighbour or my sons whose bedrooms overlook the gardens & they either knock or shout if something is going on.

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
No and my dogs are left for a 6 hour stretch one week out of 4. I work mornings 8.30-1.30 and my husband works shifts. This means that 2 out of every 4 weeks they are not left at all, 1 out of 4 they are left for 4 hours and one out of 4 they are left for 6. When I get home they are never desparate to go out to the garden to toilet and they are 9 and a half and 10 and a half. I walk them just before I leave for work.

Their previous owners had a dog-door for them to go out into their garden but I don't like the idea of this as they are large dogs to have a door for (Springer spaniel size) and it would be bad security and I would worry they might be stolen as they're a rare breed. I also wouldn't want them outside barking to annoy my neighbours as we have a couple of yappy dogs out the back and mine might join in if I wasn't there to stop it.
I was never keen on the idea of dog door even though my next door neighbour had one for around 6 yer while she lived there, without any problems.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I have a thermablock built kennel & run, but they are full of garden & dog stuff.

My dogs/cat have a dogflap, but they are never left alone, where I am so are my dogs
Thanks joedee, guess am over reacting

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
To be honest I'd just leave them in the house for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. That amount of time isn't particularly long at all for a dog.
Thanks lab, I love my doggies to bits ( as we all do) & just though that that length of timewas getting a bit silly to leave a dog crated.

Originally Posted by Berger View Post
I do have a Kennel outside for my two but only for them to go into if they choose. Once the weather is fine I leave the back door open and they roam in and out and the kennel is there for shade/shelter etc. In warmer weather Ivan prefers to be outside.
They are house dogs and are never left outside alone if I go anywhere.
Our back door is open permanantly when we are in the house no matter what the weather.I've seen me go outside to chase the silly furries indoors when theyve been lying in the sun.

Thanks all so much guys, youve put my mind at rest, its muchly appreciated...

Bev xx
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Personally id just leave them in the house. I wouldnt like to think of my dogs unsupervised in the garden when im out.
3 hours isnt long for a dog, so as long as it goes outside to pee before you leave im sure he'll be absolutly fine til you get home
Thanks Kate, I walk the 3 of them every morning before I go out, I walk the 2 biggies at lunchtime for just 15mins or so & then the 3 of them again at night. I hate the thought of it too as they re at mischievious ages I just dont wnna keep them cramped up for what i thought was for too long either..mad i know lol

bev x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Yes, I have a kennel and run. I got it for Raz because we didn`t think he`d be able to tolerate living indoors... then he trotted straight in, shot under the table and stayed.
So it`s a handy perch for the birds.......

I have a secure garden and a large dog flap so don`t have a problem with leaving the dogs. I know of dogs who have been stolen from kennels in gardens in this area, so I personally wouldn`t do it.

Why would you need to crate them? Are they destructive?
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Yes, I have a kennel and run. I got it for Raz because we didn`t think he`d be able to tolerate living indoors... then he trotted straight in, shot under the table and stayed.
So it`s a handy perch for the birds.......

I have a secure garden and a large dog flap so don`t have a problem with leaving the dogs. I know of dogs who have been stolen from kennels in gardens in this area, so I personally wouldn`t do it.

Why would you need to crate them? Are they destructive?
Khal is very destructive & can chew through stuff quicker than you can blink an eye, so he has to be crated everytime I go out of the house or he has to go outside if I go upstairs (yes he is that quick)

Sasi is a chewer but at least she will chew toys that are meant to be chewed & not alot else (for the minute) lol so I can leave her in the kitchen. Ruby could have the run of the house as she always has done but that would then leave more temptation for sasi so they both get to stay in the kitchen. Its a large kitchen so its not like theyre cramped at all.

thanks for the reply Claire

Bev x
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I think you're doing the right thing leaving him crated and the others loose in the kitchen. Sounds safest for all. I don't have an outdoor kennel or run, I'd only do that if I had a fort knox garden and lots of space. I have neither.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Totally agree with what others have said about not leaving dogs alone outside. And I echo what KYLR said about the dangers of dog theft - in my area two dogs have been stolen from their gardens.

Once a month, Dexter gets left for six hours at a time. He just curls up and goes to sleep. So I really wouldn't worry about leaving your dogs for three hours or so

Perhaps they can have access to more of the house...? I had locks installed on the inside and outside of all the downstairs doors here - so when both Dexter and my brother's Lab are here and I have to go out, they can each have several rooms, I just lock whichever doors separate them, that way they each have plenty of space but are not together.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:47 AM
i dont know about leaving them outside. i know that people do, and maybe if i had a different breed that could cope with living outside, id consider it. (i dont live in the type of place where dog theft or things happen, and the neighbours are always in so would no of anything strange happening)

the thing is when i go out my dogs are crated. they have big crates, so have a bed at one end and then a bit more space at the bottom where the water is and they normally take a couple of toys with them too. they arent destructive. but i worry that if i left them in rooms, one could climb and fall of the back of the sofa, take a running leap and break a leg or something. they could have a scrap about something and i wouldnt be there to stop it, so they get separated and put in their crates.

i couldnt leave my dogs running round the house....
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2