Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i thought they bred some of their own.
some rely on gift dogs (the criminals in those areas are very happy to quote Bernard Flinks)
Some buy them in
Some breed them

Some do a combination........
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:47 PM
The behaviourist we had for Cherry many years ago said she would have been an extremely good working dog. I don't work mine in herding at all-I would have liked to have given it a go but never got around to it. A friend of mine was going to have a go at herding with her Collie as there is somewhere local you can take your dog and train it.
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Craven my foxhound is not used for it's original purpose.

He doesn't seem to have much of a prey drive anyway,but put him in a pack of hounds,who knows.

He does have a very good nose though and can smell a dog long before he can see it.

He can smell if there is an animal in the garden even if all the doors & windows are shut,he chases them off but only because he has bones lying around the garden.

He lives quite happily with a cat.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Certainly not.

Terrier (ratter/rabbiter)

zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:47 PM
My lot (greys and lurchers) would love to go hunting if I let them but I won't!!
As for my collie x and my staffie...they're far too docile to do anything but cuddle!!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:23 AM
yes and no, Meg and Moll join the beating line in the season, Millie would have been great at it, but has crocked back legs, Neam came from a working kennel, but was treated harshly so now runs away (i have tried her a couple of times) and Fudge would also be good, but would come back crippled
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Hmmmmm....Spaniel x, currently upside down on my bed, Nope I dont think he is serving his purpose.

Rough Collie, although I dont work her (could just imagine Pops rounding up sheep, she would either try to eat them or hump them) having said that, she is a brill guard dog/will warn of anyone apporaching the house long before the other two do.

Kerrie....she is just Kerrie!

The next dog is looking like it will be a working cocker or springer, and it will be working on shoots!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 09:04 AM
well not on purpose!!
But Mia who my best guess is a collie x terrier has rounded up a field of sheep gulp! (so i have now trained he to ignore sheep) and she has caught the odd rabbit

Ben nope, he has his agility 'job' but would be too excited to work sheep or hunt anything
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately, we are a bit short of wild boar/bears etc to hunt, though I could get a pack of Boxers together for that at fairly short notice!!

My two do have quite a high prey drive though, and I often use them for ratting etc. The only disadvantage is their size really!

They are also good watch dogs, and I suspect would put any would-be crooks off coming to the house....
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2011, 01:02 PM
I desparatly want to use my GWP for her HPR purpose. My GWP however, has other ideas. In her head she is a lurcher cross JRT so hunting is what she is very good at. Very good at. We go out with the lurchers rabbiting and she is brilliant.
I want to do pick up on shoots. I will not give up.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >