Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Dobermanns are still good for protecting ya money
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:19 AM
My labrador would be useless as a hunting dog as he loves to fetch things but will never give them back!! He would never make a guide dog either as he pulls too much (and many other reasons)!

My little pug x makes a fab hotwater bottle for cuddling on the sofa so I suppose that is the pug part being used for his job and the terrier side of him is marvellous at chasing my cat!! He's a very naughty boy!!

But they are both gorgeous and their job now is to get the family out of the house, and to keep me busy with the hoover!!
Hazels
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Explain toll for the uneducated of us please ??
To entice ducks to shore. Tollers run and play at the waters edge and the ducks come over to investigate. Tollers look like foxes, so the ducks come over to let the fox knows it is being watched.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I did used to do gundog training with my Labs and we attended shoots. Even did a few working tests with him. We don't any more though, as he got progressively lazy with age (he is 8 now) and me working weekends is obviously an issue.

The other two -- nope. Bo is excellent at pointing and flushing game and does so every day, but informally -- not in a working situation.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I was with Siren - (border collie - herding) but the logistics and cost of being able to do this are out of my means at the moment!

Other than that they are all crosses!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:34 AM
SBT no not used for original purpose other than cuddles monkeys.

Lakeland Terrier no although he could run with the hounds and I think he could take on a fox.

Welsh Terrier no although the sister to the one I have here has hunted caught and killed a rabbit while her owners were washing the car. An other I bred lives in a country setting has also been known to catch and kill rabbit.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Nope, Jake wasn't really 'bred' for anything though especially since we don't actually know what he is! He will hunt rabbits if given the chance though...although that isn't exactly being 'worked'
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:43 AM
..sleddies... yes but not in snow(as i only have a rig)

bc....nope..he would run from the sheep ..so he used to do fake work (agility)

csv..hmm, technically no but yes lol..he is my bodyguard lol but as they were bred to 'hunt down' escapees from borders and possibly kill them...erm no!! lol.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Depends on how original you are talking........

My HPR is not used for tracking boar but has passed the BMH Blood Tracking Aptitude test and of course is a supreme tracker having several titles under her belt in WT and Schutzhund. She has also attained her Working Gundog Certificate and has picked up on a shoot.

My GSD although not trialled for shepherding again has passed a Breed Survey Class 1, Ausdauerprufung (AD) and has several titles in WT and Schutzhund . As the Breed Survey, AD and the Schutzhund tests are designed to determine suitability for breeding (re working ability and conformation) I assume he could thus be classed as "fit for purpose" in terms of what GSDs do NOW in the majority of cases; particularly in the UK!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Skye is the worker here, she is used to get the chucks in and out everyday, as for sheep Bruce has no interest in sheep, cattle or horses if it comes to that, Skye is brill round livestock, Tess is too although alot less interested than Skye although more interested than Bruce.

Mojo has been trained for the rats, but has recently lost interest as Bruce...yes Bruce!!!! is the biggest ratter here and hates sharing his spoils

Reah does sod all

So we're probably a no but sort of
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »