Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath

Being relatively uncommon in the UK, to most people mals look like small, 'dirty', unremarkable GSDs (or maybe GSD crosses) - as far as I'm concerned their 'presence deterrent' in the UK would be virtually nothing. But, generally speaking, they do hit like a small steam train, they're unafraid of anything, their bite is impressive and I can imagine them being invaluable in the real world (i.e. police versus sport). So I'm under no illusions that once they're better known here they'll become the drug-dealer's, breaker's-yard and 'ard man's choice of dog
I train Mals and i can assure you that due to their nature and high "maintenance" (numbre off hours training) they will never end up with drug-dealer's, breaker's-yard and 'ard man. They need a deterent dog that doesn't take much time and energy. A mal that doesn't has a job will find something to drain his excess off energy and it won't be to the liking off the owner

Greetings

Johan
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54
I find this all very interesting, especially Archeopath's very informative posts here, but would very much like to know where these dogs come from if they are not bred in England? Would it be France then where this video comes from? I have never even heard of these dogs let alone seen any, but I did think they were strange looking g.s.d's as I assumed that was what theywere! I thought maybe the men were our s.a.s forces! I don't think I would ever fancy having one though, even if I was a drug dealer etc. far too much to handle for my liking, I'll stick to the german shepherd. Brilliant for what they do though, they love it so much they get carried away and can't stop themselves can they.
These dogs come from belgium and are as a breed older than the GSD (only a year or so ) and they are great dogs to have. The handler agression issue is due to the dominant nature of these dogs. The dogs in the video were poorly trained. A well trained mal does out even when he is in fightdrive. I can send mine on an attack and within the last metre i can stop the attack which is far more difficult than an out.

Greetings

Johan
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54
YES PLEASEEEEEEE!!
A whole webside and forum about these guys :[Mod Edit: url removed: no links to forums]

Greetings

Johan
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed
I train Mals and i can assure you that due to their nature and high "maintenance" (numbre off hours training) they will never end up with drug-dealer's, breaker's-yard and 'ard man. They need a deterent dog that doesn't take much time and energy. A mal that doesn't has a job will find something to drain his excess off energy and it won't be to the liking off the owner

Greetings

Johan
Oh I realise that Johan, but how many "bad guys" will it take before the penny drops? Not that I have any sympathy for these people, believe me. But it's a similar situation to the concerns some police are expressing about introducing more mals to the UK forces - people won't always view them as a large, powerful, intimidating breed and some morons (criminals, not police) will see them as an 'easier' police dog than a GSD and rott - only then will they find out the mistake they've made. These are kinda my views, but as I say, I'm definitely no expert and certainly not experienced when it comes to mals; I'm just reiterating what active police dog handlers have said.

My concerns aren't for the idiots who create these situations, but for the breeds that end up on the DDA or worse because of the morons' behaviour. If they become popular with the general public, there will, IMO, be enough incidents for the breed to get a bad rep or worse.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Not that many, they will get more than they'd bargained for and this at a very young age eg les than a year closer to 6months and they will get rid of it and deem these dogs as being crazy, lunatic etc and stick to a calmer breed

Greetings

Johan
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath View Post
SB, this is one reason why I don't particularly like malinois (this is only my personal preference) - I've seen a few good mals who out correctly and without hesitation, but far more who go into overdrive. This is one of the reasons why handlers are in danger of the dog coming back up the lead at them - many mals don't appreciate being told to stop, or any kind of physical correction (e.g. being dragged off by their collar). I don't know of any dog quite like the malinois - some are brilliant, some seem to be a little 'psycho'.

Personally, I'd work a dobe, a correctly temperamented GSD or a (heavy, slow) rottie over a mal any day. I value accuracy and control over super-high drive - but then I guess I'm not a police officer in mortal danger. I'm sure many mal enthusiasts would argue the reasons in favour of a dog with this temperament and personality, but I've never been convinced. Even in play bitework with Satch, if he's sent for a bite-bar (i.e. stick) he can only go on my command and is expected to (and does) out/release immediately. Personally I don't see the point in having a dog who will turn on you when you try to out.

I've never had a mal (and never would!) so I'll ask a few friends why they like them with regard to the psycho behaviour

Becs
I know this is an old thread and hope over the last few years your views have changed but I have never heard so much rubbish about a breed in my life, you said you have never handled a Mal so but out with the rubbish coments on their attitude or unsuitabilty for this sort of work all my Mals out on command the only one who wont is a passive attack dog the job of this dog is to stop armed suspects in their tracks and like the video will not release unless commpelled to there has to be no doubt in the dogs mind whether it should bite or not, its simply release chase bite nothing else, And the fact that Mals become agressive or come up the lead at you thats just bad handleing not bad dogs,
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2007, 01:01 PM
I never tire of watching this sort of dog display. It's not just the dogs that I admire but the attention to the dog safety too, such as, making it jump over the top of the car so that it is less of a target against a bullet.

Absolutely stunning work they all do.

Edit: Ooops. Didn't realise the thread was that old!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by 5dog View Post
I And the fact that Mals become agressive or come up the lead at you thats just bad handleing not bad dogs,
Well said, well said indeed, I wish more of the Mal handlers would realise this

Belgians generally - and that includes my choice of Belgian, Terv - do not tolerate bad handling and will come up the lead, sometimes a handler will then get out a certain sort of collar and shock them, remaining ignorant of their own shortcomings. A dog coming up the lead is almost always due to pain/fear.

I love the speed and power of these dogs and never tire watching Belgians generally - my first 2 never stopped, were always on the move ... interestingly it can throw up some training problems as they will solve "problems" with speed.

Wys
x
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Totally agree, there is no place for shock collars, barbaric pieces of equipment.

Another possibilty of the coming up the lead scenario is when the Mal has been trained to do something it knows what it should be doing but the person holding the lead doesnt.
The stronger dog in frustration can drive its handler into releasing him, but again thats not a bad dog just a bad handler.

I have worked both GSDs and Mals, and my present dog is a Mal, at the risk of offending the GSD lovers of which I currently have two, I would have a good Mal over a great GSD anyday, although they are not suited for everyone.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by 5dog View Post
at the risk of offending the GSD lovers of which I currently have two, I would have a good Mal over a great GSD anyday, although they are not suited for everyone.
Boo Hisss. Ban this man.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >