View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I think it was actually about 6 years ago when all breed clubs or people involved in the breed had to decide on the correct tail setting and carriage.

We in our breed stated what would be preferable but as there were hardly any in the country of origin with tails and at that time not many elsewhere it was hard to decide on the right wording.

My breed look awful with tails, some of the ones in Europe are so different although it makes me laugh when they stand them as many put the tail between the dogs legs so that they can't be seen on the stand!
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
I think it's very sad that some breeders would consider stopping breeding or changing breeds just because they can no longer dock. To me there is so much more to my dogs than their tails. And yes, i do have a customarily docked breed.

In Sweden certainly in the first year there was a major drop in registrations of traditionally docked breeds, in fact Giant Schanuzers had no registrations at all for 12 months, however, the numbers have crept back up as people have kept breeding the dogs they love regardless of the fact they now have a tail.

However, unlike other breeds when our mother country stopped docking around 15 years ago several exhibitors in the UK also stopped docking, and since then more and more have stopped. Prior to the ban coming in only a handful of breeders continued the practice.

This was done because the majority of breeders wanted to see how the tails would come out, and bear in mind we have a breed in which you can have everything from a full spitz curl, a longer stump, a proper bob, or in fact nothing there at all (invert).

When the KC asked the breed club to come up with an alternative tail clause for the standard - about 3 years ago - it was debated long and hard and in the end decided that we would word it to say basically so long as the set is correct anything goes with the tail carriage - whilst it took a while for the KC to accept this they did eventually.

Yes there will be a period of a few years where the tails sort themselves out, but what is say 5 years in terms of dog showing and breeding? In terms of the history of your breed?

As to dogs with tails not winning over dogs with, or dogs with tails not being as good, this too hasn't stood up. The first vallhund fully tailed Ch was made up about 4 years ago, and the second at this year - this dog has also gone on to be placed in the pastoral group at Working & Pastoral Breeds of Scotland, in 2003 a fully tailed vall puppy won the pastoral puppy group at a champ show - it can be done and people can see past the fact that there is a tail.

Kate

Brilliant post Kate! Just goes to show, people can scare monger as much as they like and foretell gloom and doom over the docking issue, but in the end there will always be sensible breeders and exhibitors who love their breed enough to put a bit of effort in

Debs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Actually the KC approve (or not!) the breed standards and/or any alterations sent to them by the breed clubs. They do not just accept anything that comes from the breed clubs. They can choose not to include something or not to accept any changes if they so wish.Debs

So we both did not make clear what we meant Just as you have accused Denis of getting his terminology wrong, we all fall down on not saying it right, all the time.

Why are you so angry..you can get a point across without trying to shout people down.

please take a breath, otherwise this will be another thread to be closed closed
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So we both did not make clear what we meant Just as you have accused Denis of getting his terminology wrong, we all fall down on not saying it right, all the time.

Why are you so angry..you can get a point across without trying to shout people down.

please take a breath, otherwise this will be another thread to be closed closed
OK now I AM confused

The way you worded your post made me think you meant that the breed clubs are responsible for the breed standards. "The KC does not set a breed standards......theyset down the information ALL breed council gives them". They are not. The KC OWN the breed standards. It is they who decide what does and does not go into them.

And as for being angry.. no - if my posts came across that way I apologise. Exasperated - yes! One would think that Denis who, according to his profile, has been showing dogs for decades, would know basic canine terminology. After all, he thinks he knows better than Championship show judges or he wouldn't be saying that the judge at the last Ch show was wrong would he IMO that should mean he knows the difference between tail set and tail carriage - it's obvious by his posts that he does not!

Debs
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4