Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 08:44 PM

I'm in the wrong job.....

I have been waiting a while for a part to come in so the aircon can be repaired on my car. It hasn't worked for over 2 years so I thought it was about time....
Anyway, this morning I got a call at 9.30 from the garage, could they come and collect it as they had a cancellation so they could do it today instead of next week. They duly appeared, took the key and drove off.
Later this morning I had another call. "Errrr, the parts are fitted but the pump has gone... the bill is already €500 so I thought I'd check with you....I can get a second hand one for €250." Believing that a half repaired job at €500 was no match for a full job at €750 with the thing working, I agreed.
The car was returned at 5.20 and the mechanic looked a bit sheepish. Apparently some pipes were corroded and he had to replace those too, so the bill had topped €900.
"BL***y HELL!" I exclaimed, were they platinum??????"
"no," came back the reply, "it was mostly labour!"

I am definitely in the wrong job.

PS They had the decency to scrub and wax the outside to perfection, it was so immaculate I actually checked the numberplate as I wasn't sure it was my car!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Ye Gods !
Looks like you may have to try and get some "street trade" to make the money up Gill......
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Well, I can be quite philosophical. Yesterday I was facing a bill for a new fridge for the motorhome at €600 as I have literally worn the gas part of the existing one out - but I found out that it can be repaired for not much and that is now in hand.
I was planning on having the motorhome serviced but now I will just delay it for a few months - another saving - problem solved!

Good job my credit card does cheques
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2006, 06:14 AM
I feel for you ....Hubby took the Volvo in to see if we could get out Air Con fixed yesterday and we were dreading it. Luckily, it just needed refilling and we ended up with a chilled car for £60
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Often thought that, when you look at the parts and compare it to the labour.. frightening, and definately in the wrong job!
mark meek
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-05-2006, 09:00 AM
my local garage charges £27 /hour. but he is always upfront with an estimate and has the grace to look sheepish when i pay the bill