Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 03:02 PM

How do you manage work and dogs?

Just curious on this one, to see how other people cope.

I work full time, and have Bodhi, who is 4 months. I feel guilty all the time leaving her during the day, and just wonder how other people deal with their situation.

May be helpful to share thoughts and ideas!

As soon as I find my rich bachelor - I'm quitting and spending all day at home (or travelling with my muttley companion!!)!
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2005, 03:24 PM
It's a bit of a heart-wrencher isn't it? The hours I work tend to be fairly irregular, and so do my other half's so between us we don't usually have to leave Meg alone for more than a few hours. I hate leaving her at any time, but from what I can see she just sleeps when she's on her own. Even when I'm home she'll quite often go off and amuse herself for a while. I'm going to try to buy her some toys which she can play with while she's by herself, but I have a feeling she'll ignore them and just sleep, as she does now. Saying that, she's quite an old lady now and I'm not sure whether or not this would be true for a younger dog.

When I had two dogs I felt less guilty about leaving them, but even then all they did was sleep till I got home. I think that as long as you pay her plenty of attention when you are there, she gets plenty of fresh air and exercise, you don't leave her for ridiculous amounts of time, and she's not showing any signs of distress then you're probably doing OK.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 03:28 PM
oh does shift work and i do 9-5 so if ever our hours are the same i go home at lunch therwise she is only left a few hours each day.....i hate leaving her, am in the process of starting my own event planning business so i can work from home and be with her....
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I work full time and am single....

Luna is home alone all day.. sleeping... with Oliver the kitty...

I still have the guilty feeling every single day I go... But Luna doesnt seem to mind....
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I think if I left the cat in with Bodhi, I could expect to come home to a completely detroyed kitchen!

They are far too rowdy with each other!!

I am soooooooo looking forward to the xmas hols to spend all day everyday with her.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 04:57 PM
i know how u feel
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I work full time, but my daughter pops in and out during the day to see to my lot!when i get in we go out for a walk and they are fine and happy.I wish i had the luxury of part time work or shorter hours, but its real life im afraid!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 07:55 PM
I work full time too (and hate it!!) - can't wait to meet a rich man or win the lottery and spend all my time with my dogs

My routine is fairly rigorous, but I have no children to worry about and few other commitments so my routine is like this during the working week ...

6.30am - 1 hour free running in fields and bits of training.
12pm - I come home for 1 hour at lunchtime to walk the dogs - free running round the park and play with tennis ball.
Just after 5pm - 1½ hours (2 hours or more in summer) - in winter we walk down a lit cycle track and in summer we go all over the place.
9-10pm - Lead walk down the lanes or run around the garden for last wee.

I leave the dogs stuffed kongs or raw bones to chew on whilst I am out and also have treat balls which I fill and leave around for them to play with if they want.

I hate leaving them but they seem to cope okay, and I have felt happier leaving for work since I got a second dog ten months ago.

I think, as has already been said, most dogs tend to crash out and sleep while their owners are at work, so try not to feel too bad. Unfortunately full-time work is a reality for most of us, or we wouldn't even be able to afford our dogs.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 08:52 PM
well at the moment i work 9-5 and my boyfriend works 4am- noon. So indie is never on her own for more than 4 hours.
I do have the choice to take her to work with me, although i think she would prefer to stay at home rather than get stressed out by loads of other dogs.

i still feel guilty when i leave her in the mornings, especially as its too dark for me to walk her b4 work, but bf walks her when he gets home anyway.

Although we have decided if when we move she starts being a nuisance when we leave we will drop her off at the inlaws til noon and bf will pick her up when he finishes work. Just cos we arent allowed a dog in flat so if shes noisy when we're gone its a problem.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I am soooooooo looking forward to the xmas hols to spend all day everyday with her.
I don't know how long your Christmas hols will be, but if it is more than a couple of days be aware that spending all your time with your dog will make it harder for her when you have to return to work. It would be best to leave her for a while during the day so that she does not come to expect you to be there all the time and will not have to make the adjustment to suddenly being alone again when you go back
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >