View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:51 PM

Is there an age recall should be 100% by?

..this only applied to people who have had dogs since a puppy

Was at the park with alfie doing some recall/don't run over to see any dog you feel like, training today

Anywhere apart from the park he is normally really good! If there is no-one else at the park his recall is about 99% on. On a walk and we see maybe 20 dogs, there will probably be one he will decide to not come back from straight away, but he is getting better.

The park is the place he acts up the most. So a lot of the time we go there now we are on the long line - like today.

Today he did REALLY well and was so good, and came back to tell my mum and aunty what I have worked out (he ignores most treats and toys if he sees a dog lol, so am always trying to find a good "reward" for him, and today what I did was if he pulled towards the dog, I stood still and said nothing, I shouted him to come back to me, he did, and i was like "wooo good boy" and we went closer to the dog - as that is what he wanted - and it's okay as I knew the dog/owner, we didn't just walk towards random people - and this worked! By the end we were following a person with two dogs about 50 yards in front and he was just wandering about - still on lead mind), so I came back and my aunty was like "but you saying good boy should be reward enough by now. He should do what he is told without any reinforcement".

Now - as bad as this sounds - I have learned to ignore her as she has always been "if he doesn't come back straight away, when he does come back, make sure you let him know you aren't happy he didn't come back straight away"... so I ignored her and acted all happy when he came back, etc etc. I was like "don't let him jump up" she would say "aww hes fine" etc etc. Basically she thinks she knows what she is talking about and tells me "the right way"but she doesn't know what she is talking about tbh.........

So my question is... is there an age your dog "should" know full 100% recall by?

Alfie is 11 months old now.

I hope that makes sense!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't think so....some dogs never get it...like me own.
Her recall is perfect in training classes, but on the park/beach it's awful - so simple solution is she doesn't go offlead where it's not enclosed/safe
She stays on a long lead. I think it's just her personality tbh, def not lack of training
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Sounds like you are doing really well

11 months is young - and about the stage some dogs become teenagers and forget what recal is

tbh up until 18 months Ben had perfect recal
then I got Mia and wasnt working so much on Bens
Its not an issue - they are only offlead in really safe places anyways, but I dont call him mid chase or when he has his head in a chip paper any more - I will work on it again, but I know its not the best anymore

I would also never say get rid of ALL rewards, yes you dont need to reward every time, but the odd surprise something nice will keep your boy loving coming back to you

and I so hate people telling their dogs off when they get back you are so right to ignore
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks!

Yeah i really have to do my own thing.
Even just now alfie was playing in the garden and i shouted for him to come to me and mum went "aww thats mean, just leave him to play".......
I'm like, I am not shouting him to come inside, just to come when called, and she was like "but he is playing, just leave him be". Does really annoy me tbh. (I ignored her and did it anyway)

Thanks for the replies though

I have put mega amounts of effort/training into alfie and it does show, but he loooves dogs so this takes longer.

Just don't like it when people make it seem like I havn't bothered
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Sadie never really learn't recall - she was never trained it anyway, she was only walked round a few blocks before I started walking her at a year - I took her on the park and I didn't know any better - let her off walked round the park, called her at the gate - she came and we've been doing it ever since.

Louie - 75% recall. He will recall from some food, some dogs and some people - but birds - he did it yesterday, but today I found myself in a dangerous predicament. So we're back to the long line for a bit.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:06 PM
The short answer is basically 'no'. You can't get a 100% recall anyway; they are animals at the end of the day and are not perfect. It is often the people who think their dogs are 100% reliable in all situations who are the ones whose dog end up hurt as a result of their naivety (like a lady who lives near me 'perfect recall' Sheltie, who unfortunately got hit and killed by a car).
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Agree with others. Sometimes you will have good recall, other times not, depending on where you are and distractions. Sounds to me as if you are doing brilliantly.

I saw somebody the other day who told their dog off because it didn't come back straight away but she told it off when it did come back, therefore the dog will relate coming back with being told off - stupid woman. Even if it takes umpteen calls to get the dog back they should still be praised when they eventually return. I think you are very wise in igorning your Aunty as you obviously know a lot more than she does
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks everyone

I do generally ignore what family members tell me (as bad as that sounds lol). Even things like "just let him off the lead here" and I am like no.. I will wait until we are further away from the carpark... They go "ahh he will be fine"... so again I just ignore them and do my own thing. I have never EVER done anything but act happy when he comes back, which he does a lot of the time.

I was just so chuffed that I have found a "reward" I can use when he doesn't want treats, just wasn't expecting to get "he is at the age now he should just do it without any reinforcement apart from "good boy".

Thanks everyone