Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 06:25 PM

Dogs staying young

Know that some breeds of dog are generally thought to have different life expectancy and there are exceptions to this, but have folk ever had a dog that has remained young for their years of age(active, puppy like), and of any breed, cross, mix. Do you think environment,lifestyle,diet,other dogs in family or just having one dog makes a difference(despite any unknown health problems from birth).
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2010, 06:47 PM
When our boxers get together they act really puppish ... Snoop is 3 but acts like hes 3 months .
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Sadie is 9 years old and until we got Louie - she was slowing down a little - well starting to show signs, then after we got Louie, she's like a puppy again. Both are mixes, BC x JRT and ESS x Lab - so I have a lot of energy
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
When our boxers get together they act really puppish ... Snoop is 3 but acts like hes 3 months .
Lol my Boxer still acted that way at 13

I always had a second dog with him, firstly a cocker spaniel and then a Parson Russell but he was as fit as a flea until the end and always very active, so lifestyle and health play a big part too.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Lol my Boxer still acted that way at 13

I always had a second dog with him, firstly a cocker spaniel and then a Parson Russell but he was as fit as a flea until the end and always very active, so lifestyle and health play a big part too.
I think boxers thrive in multi dog house holds..
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 01:03 AM
My old boy acted young until the day he died, but he was only 9 it was cancer, and he didnt slow down till the day before he died... it was then, that he went to the vets and we found out he had cancer. he was a BCxLab (at best guess, he was a rescue) and was the only dog... although, he lived with 3 kids, 2 of which were crazy and energetic
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 09:22 AM
i think some breeds act different to others. cresteds are a fairly youung breed. absolutely barking mad, energetic and act like loons daphni was a bit slower and lazy but thats because she didnt have anyone to play with she was too rough for the paps. but now asbo is here i think i preferred the lazy daph

our cross breed max is definately showing his age, hes 12 now and a right old man. bless him.

i think enviroment play a big part. at work the oldest is the golden retriever shelly who is 12. she still acts like a puppy and loves play fighting with all the flatcoats. i think if theyre excerised as they get older so are still fit, that plays a huge part because they still have the energy there. think diet has something to do with it as well, cant imagine a fat dog being very youthful.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 09:25 AM
all my 'oldies' act young... thats 3 sibes and a wsd.. ive been told my dogs are mad coz i am
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
all my 'oldies' act young... thats 3 sibes and a wsd.. ive been told my dogs are mad coz i am
thats nothing to be sad about
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Had one GSD bitch who acted young all her life. People often thought in their later years that she was younger than her son. Remember on one occassion asking her to calm down & behave herself & a man passing said they do eventually calm down when they mature. Trouble was she was 13 at the time so I don't think she was going to mature much more. She was still acting young till the day she died at 15 & a half.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >