Female 

05-03-2005, 10:22 PM
aw poor little girl. i hope she isnt suffering anymore xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by stafford
murphy has this bitch resently had pups? the reason why is it could be pre or post eclamsia (sp) which causes epiletic type fits (sp)
Hi Stafford no the bitch was only 8 months old
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Well -what can I say ..last night we all expected her to go to the bridge -my friend and the breeder were called in to sign consent forms -this morning she is up and about !!! she is on phenobarbitol (sp) and seems to be fine -the vet says he will keep her in for another 24 hrs to monitor her but today it looks good
Annestaff
Supervisor

06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Thats brilliant, bet your friends so happy. Fingers crossed its kept under control.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
wow what a turn around i hope she makes a full recovery
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Brilliant news
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

06-03-2005, 11:34 AM
great news - hope she makes a full recovery
Meg
Supervisor

06-03-2005, 06:56 PM
I am so pleased Murphy did you say what breed? I think once she is stable on the drugs things will be ok so fingers crossed
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 07:08 PM
It is great news - I never thought it would happen -last night we we're hoping she'd just drift off but today seems full of hope again She's an EBT by the way a lovely girl a real credit to the breed and her owners and breeder
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2005, 11:27 PM
I've no idea whether or not this will be of any use, but I hope it will!

There are things you can get, sometimes called "Rectubes", usually containing a dosage of Diazepam (often known as Valium). These can be carried around in a pocket/handbag/glove compartment/whatever. The idea is that they are used as a fit occurs.

If a dog fits at the vet surgery, it's likely that the vet will give a shot of Diazepam, which ought to stop the siezure in its tracks, virtually immediately.

Most ordinary dog owners are not qualified/permitted to stick needles in their dogs, so the Rectube is the owner-friendly alternative.

When a fit occurs, you whip the cap off the tube, stick the open end up doggy's bum and squeeze until all the contents have been injected. This ought to be almost as effective as the jab. OK, it doesn't sound all that pleasant a task, but does that matter if it stops the attack?

Of course, the fit may be too strong for this (very infrequent, I gather), but it should, at the least, give you time to get professional help (a good idea is to keep the empty tube to show the vet what you've given).

I keep two of these tubes nearby at all times (one in the house, one in the car), and I'm very pleased to be able to say I've never had to use one yet, but I'll continue to have them,anyway.

They do come in different sizes/dosages.

HTH
Snorri
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >