Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skippy440
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
What choice is there for those of us with destructive dogs? Rehome them? Mine's 8 years old and still gets crated when left for more than a few minutes because if he's bored nothing is safe from his teeth. It's not seperation anxiety, it's certainly not teething at his age, he quite simply likes to tear things to pieces.

I do find that if I give him opportunities to indulge in his love of shredding things and make sure he's had plenty of mental exercise his destructive tendencies are less obvious though. He gets given empty boxes, the tubes from toilet rolls, empty egg cartons with his dinner inside them etc to shred and I do regular clicker training sessions with him. I was away for a week not long ago and he wasn't getting anywhere near the amount of mental stimulation he normally does as my hubby works full time and he took to destroying tissues, toilet rolls and anything else he could find over night which he's not done for about 6 years.
Agreed with a bored dog can be a destructive dog. My 8 month old cocker was quite a bad chewer of anything he could get when I first got him (at about 9 weeks). He has calmed down considerably but every once in awhile he when he is bored (or not mentally stimulated), he tries to go back to his old ways.
I found that plenty of walks, play, and any other means of "burning off his puppy energy" seems to keep his chewing at a minimum.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:40 PM
For those with destructive older dogs, see this thread I made a while back:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=136460

You are definitely not alone!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Well at the moment she currently gets around 20min of training each day. We do recall when out, sit and stay and leave also when on walks. In the house when i leave her i put all the toys in the middle of the floor and usually i dont have problems with her when i do that. As long as there is nothing else she can get her teeth onto.

I dont think its SA as she does it when im in the house as well. She just picks everything up all the time. I try to pick everything up after me all the time but try telling my dad that. Last night i was sitting in bed when she upstairs with the house phone in her mouth. lol. Its funny but its not at the same time.

She does very well with the leave it command. Even when in the house and outside if i tell her to drop it she does instantly.

Oh she also gets walks. Prob about an hour and a half a day if not a bit less atm as my other dog is reovering from surgery. I dont want to over do it as she is still a puppy
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2