Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Palaceclock
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Whining!

Hi all,

Yesterday evening we decided to pop up to our local village pub for a quick drink and thought it would be nice to take Barnes with us.

He had been to the loo on the walk up there so should have been nice and comfy to settle down for a pint........however.....

The whole time we were in the pub he did nothing but whine and whinge! I have no idea what his problem was and he wouldn't even settle sitting on my lap. I took his treats with him and when he was quiet for a few minutes I praised him and gave him a treat, but it didn't last.

He does have a tendancy to moan very persitantly if he's on the lead for a walk and we stop to chat to someone.

I will be taking him back to the pub, as would love him to share our social time but really don't want to p*ss off all the regulars!!! So does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to stop the whining???

Thanks in advance

H

PS - forgot to say, for those that don't know Barnes is a 8 month old JRT.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Would say that it just did not suit Barnes and he was letting you know he was not amused. How do you stop it? Well think the young man needs to understand that it is you who calls the tune not him and that will take firmer training. Could also be that he has reached the Kevin stage and is pushing his luck.
Palaceclock
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Ha ha ha 'the Kevin stage' - I think you're spot on there! He's been pushing his boundaries with quite a few things recently, def turning into a bratish teenager!

What sorty of thing should I be thinking of while reaffirming that I'm the boss?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Make sure you do not act as his servant, if he asks to go out then make him sit first and don't leap up to oblige him. Ignore his requests for attention if it does not suit you to give it, and lots more lead work, ignore the complaints. Generally make sure he gets nothing if he demands it always ask for a sit or a down or call him to you and ask for a sit before getting up to let him out or feeding him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 12:54 PM
did you take anything with him to keep him amused?
If this is a new situation you have to teach him what you expect of him in that situation. Is he used to giong to pubs/cafes etc and lying still for you?
What does he do when you eat at the table?

I'd Suggest taking a stuffed kong with you next time and putting it on the floor with him, you can always wedge it under the table or your foot so it doesn't roll all over the place for him. Praise him when he's lying nicely and the kong will reward him for nice quiet behaviour under the table.
He doesn't know what you want of him so you need to teach him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 12:55 PM
i'm also wondering if he cuold have been nervous of the situation if he has never been there before?
Palaceclock
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2008, 02:24 PM
He has been there before and he didn't appear to be nervous I must admit. The kong is a good idea, tbh we went out on such a whim I did well to remember the poo bags and his treats!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
did you take anything with him to keep him amused?
If this is a new situation you have to teach him what you expect of him in that situation. Is he used to giong to pubs/cafes etc and lying still for you?
What does he do when you eat at the table?

I'd Suggest taking a stuffed kong with you next time and putting it on the floor with him, you can always wedge it under the table or your foot so it doesn't roll all over the place for him. Praise him when he's lying nicely and the kong will reward him for nice quiet behaviour under the table.
He doesn't know what you want of him so you need to teach him.
I think Ramble has a good idea there. Two of mine do it, when we stop off anywhere, But if i give them a chew under the table or a kong, they soon settle.