View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 11:05 AM
i agree with Eunice and Hali and others...Casper is a very scared dog...and Huey is doing him no favours, he needs kind, gentle and consistent handling. Having siad that I think Hueys heart is in the right place.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Fortunately, Huey isn't going to keep Casper and I don't think the Dogs Trust would let him in any event lol!
Becky
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
What a shame you don’t actually see the programme for what it is – not the ultimate training guide but a show geared towards showing rescue dogs who are desperate for a home and that they can with some training
You know, I'd buy that if only even just one pence went towards any kind of dog charity whatsoever. Does it? No, it goes to Children in Need, which is already well furnished financially through the annual Children in Need appeal. There are thousands upon thousands of cash-starved rescue centres and trusts needing money. This show could and should have been a way to provide them with some!

If you want to see dogs shouted at and being tugged round by the collar it certainly isnt the programme for you.
You didn't really think I'd let that cheap shot go unanswered did you? Insult me all you like, I don't mind in the least bit, it's just text, but please, if you are going to accuse me directly, base it upon at least a shard of substance. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to point to the statement where I said I want to see collar pulling and dogs being shouted at. Actually, I didn't, did I? We both know that I didn't. You're inferring it because it suits you to do so. I just don't need to see some sanctimonious luvvy telling others off for doing so, especially when, in your words, it's supposed to be for entertainment. So is it, or isn't it?

Im amazed that anyone would think bringing rescue dogs plight to the public is a waste of time, money and effort. If this programme makes a few people consider a rescue dog who wouldn’t of previously well I cant think any amount of money or time has been wasted.
Again, if it's in any way about the plight of the dogs, put some of the money their way! Then even I might start to believe that's the case.

do you really think that a short programme outlining each hounds story however harrowing would generate the interest that this has?
No, but it would have been a lot more sincere. Aside from that, let's see if we have a Series Two before we measure the interest.

You may not have the option to turn over but surely your allowed to exit the room?
lol This could go on a while couldn't it. If I answer that I don't leave the room because I happen to live here and would find it decidedly childish to have to leave a room each time something that I didn't like came onto the television, would the next person then find another one to throw my way?

Perhaps a suggestion that I buy a separate house from my partner? Please, let's not get silly.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

12-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
You know, I'd buy that if only even just one pence went towards any kind of dog charity whatsoever. Does it? No, it goes to Children in Need, which is already well furnished financially through the annual Children in Need appeal. There are thousands upon thousands of cash-starved rescue centres and trusts needing money. This show could and should have been a way to provide them with some!.
I totally agree about the money and certainly wish that some or all of it was going to rescue, however, rescues may be desperate for money but they are also desperate to raise awareness of dogs in rescue, which IMO this programme is all about. If it means that people will now enquire about a rescue dog how can that be a bad thing?

You didn't really think I'd let that cheap shot go unanswered did you? Insult me all you like, I don't mind in the least bit, it's just text, but please, if you are going to accuse me directly, base it upon at least a shard of substance. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to point to the statement where I said I want to see collar pulling and dogs being shouted at. Actually, I didn't, did I? We both know that I didn't. You're inferring it because it suits you to do so. I just don't need to see some sanctimonious luvvy telling others off for doing so, especially when, in your words, it's supposed to be for entertainment. So is it, or isn't it?!.
So may I ask why you even thought to mention
that are incapable of hearing loud noises, raised voices, or having their collar tugged.
why should that be part of the programme? These are rescue dogs and certainly some of them would not respond to those sort of training methods well and yes IMO someone certainly should be pointing out that these are not appropriate methods to use especially on rescue dogs. Of course there is an entertainment element but just because its part of it should not stop the trainers from making sure the dogs are not being trained with methods likely to do more harm than good.

Again, if it's in any way about the plight of the dogs, put some of the money their way! Then even I might start to believe that's the case.
Again its not all about money but raising awareness of dogs in rescue!

No, but it would have been a lot more sincere. Aside from that, let's see if we have a Series Two before we measure the interest..
But would it have raised as much interest or the plight of dogs in rescue, I think it was Hali who put that point across excellently. I believe from feedback from the show and from rescues that there has been interest raised and 16 pages of discussion on here rather proves the point.

Perhaps a suggestion that I buy a separate house from my partner? Please, let's not get silly.
Im sure the members of the board wouldnt dream of suggesting such a thing.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
So may I ask why you even thought to mention..
Because, unlike many, and Lord knows I've done this discussion to death before today, I do not believe that dogs should or need to be shielded from such things. Loud noises? Tugs on collars? Come on. It's getting silly, in my view. Hell, my dog just heard louder noises playing in the back garden with next door's children! And yes, she's from a rescue centre too! She certainly got plenty of being pulled about. And the weird thing is, she kept on going back for more!

It is my belief that if you treat a dog like it can't handle x, y, and z, then ultimately that is what you get.

it should not stop the trainers from making sure the dogs are not being trained with methods likely to do more harm than good.
I presume you mean, in their opinion?

Anyway, I've said all I can, and am just repeating already stated opinions now. This programme just isn't for me, in the least, and that vote issue just confirmed why it wasn't for me. If that makes me a meanie, so be it.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

12-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Because, unlike many, and Lord knows I've done this discussion to death before today, I do not believe that dogs should or need to be shielded from such things. Loud noises? Tugs on collars? Come on. It's getting silly, in my view. Hell, my dog just heard louder noises playing in the back garden with next door's children! And yes, she's from a rescue centre too! She certainly got plenty of being pulled about. And the weird thing is, she kept on going back for more!
But that’s your dog and Im sure you are aware of what you dog can and cannot tolerate, however, in my experience not all dogs are the same, they differ in many ways and have different tolerance levels. With mine yep some will tolerate noises, fireworks, kids, whatever, some however cannot tolerate any loud noises and get extremely stressed to the point of collapse, my greys are extremely sensitive to loud voices, many of my fosters have been to some degree or another, one certainly could not tolerate collar tugs due to neck damage. What Im trying to say is that whilst your dog will take that sort of treatment it does not mean all can or will or should be subjected to them. To me each dog is an individual and should be assessed as to what is best for them, not necessarily whats best for me.

I presume you mean, in their opinion?..
Yes in their opinion, these dogs have been assessed, the people know them, and the most appropriate methods of training recommended for them, hardly a misinformed opinion surely and Im rather pleased to see they don’t agree with a one method fits all mentality.

Anyway, I've said all I can, and am just repeating already stated opinions now. This programme just isn't for me, in the least, and that vote issue just confirmed why it wasn't for me. If that makes me a meanie, so be it.
The vote issue doesn’t really bother me as I said for me and many in rescue its about raising awareness for dogs in rescue. Nope doesn’t make you a meanie and its fine if the programme isnt for you, just my opinion that anything that helps raise awareness of dogs in rescue cant be a bad thing.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I personally have to say that I think being able to phone in and apply for one of the dogs shown on the programme does not sit well with me.

I think it is great to have a programme that puts rescue dogs in the forefront of the public eye but would have preferred it to have taken a different format. Why not have the celebs training the dogs with their individual trainers and show how the dogs are being trained? It would be so much more informative to show how to train the dogs to do the things required of them and also the problems encountered along the way.

A huge amount of effort goes into training a dog and rescue dogs can come with a lot of bad habits that are so much harder to train out. If the show demonstrated how to go about this I think it would be far more realistic and would encourage the right sort of person to apply for a rescue dog. All these dogs are being trained by experienced dog trainers who know what they are doing and the best way to get results.

I am a bit worried that the general public will think that it is easy to do a couple of training sessions and end up with a dog that is well trained and easy to look after. There is no mention at all on how the dogs cope outside the rescue, whether they are chewers or barkers or have separation anxiety.

I have always had rescue dogs myself and am all for promoting them but have reservations that this may not be the best way of encouraging responsible ownership as it does not show the full story of what owning a dog is all about.

We see the "fluffy bits" of dog ownership but none of the everyday time and effort that is required to produce a well mannered, socially adaptable dog that is able to enjoy life to the full. None of the negatives are shown - which is probably why these unfortunate dogs ended up in rescue to begin with.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
We see the "fluffy bits" of dog ownership but none of the everyday time and effort that is required to produce a well mannered, socially adaptable dog that is able to enjoy life to the full. None of the negatives are shown - which is probably why these unfortunate dogs ended up in rescue to begin with.
Good point, but I believe that the Dogs Trust have a pretty rigorous application system and they won't just be handing them out on a 'first come, first served' basis.

I do understand where you're coming from and maybe a short warning about the pitfalls of dog ownership would have been sensible, but I still think, on the proviso that Dogs Trust properly deal with the adoption process, that this programme will do more good than harm.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm afraid I haven't watched critically as I've been too busy sobbing with emotion at these spunky rescue dogs doing their best (and trying to figure out how I could have them all ), but I'm pretty impressed with how well they've done. I think the celebs (don't even know who some of them are though) are doing pretty okay and it is nice to see them indulge the dogs when they make mistakes (like trying to shake the cuddly toy to death instead of rescue it ).

I wouldn't necessarily switch off if I didn't like some aspect of it though. It's still interesting to watch and it's hard to form an opinion of something you don't see.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Good point, but I believe that the Dogs Trust have a pretty rigorous application system and they won't just be handing them out on a 'first come, first served' basis.

I do understand where you're coming from and maybe a short warning about the pitfalls of dog ownership would have been sensible, but I still think, on the proviso that Dogs Trust properly deal with the adoption process, that this programme will do more good than harm.

Definately. I can see where lizziel is coming from but I think with every person who phones, whether with a serious home offer or on a whim because its a `telly dog`, its an opportunity for those people to be educated on things they may not realise about dogs [ all dogs, not only rescues ], the commitment needed, the time, the expenses, so many aspects which are important.
Those phoning for the wrong reasons will be put off - and thats as important as anything else if it stops the wrong people taking on any dog from any source if they have`nt thought things through properly or the timing is just not right but might be later on.

While people might phone wanting one of the dogs on the show, [ not that many are now available as the handlers are adopting a lot of them anyway ], its an opportunity for the homing staff to guide people toward a more suitable dog for individuals after talking things through with serious callers - all of which goes toward helping more dogs get homes, raises the profile of rescue dogs brilliantly, as well as educational opportunities to promote good dog ownership, [ or putting people off dog ownership at all when relevent ].

Any problems any of the dogs on the show have had are not hidden away, and thats good because people can see that there is a lot which dogs can overcome with time, patience, and good handling which can help dispel the myth that all dogs with any issues will always be a problem dog.

So even with some of the things which might seem to project the wrong `image` on the surface can actually carry hugely beneficial side effects imo :smt001

PS, if they just sort out the silly spacing, [ lack of ], with some of the agility elements, I for one will be a very happy bunny
Page 16 of 20 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »