Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
As far as I see all the discussion about energy dont make a blind bit of difference to the dog

But my problem is people are talking about punishing the dog or letting them know they are not happy with his behaviour when they dont have the slightest interest in finding out WHY the dog is doing what he is doing
All the talk about energy but often people cannot see when their dogs are scared or stressed
They dont care about helping their dog emotionaly deal with a situation, they just want the behaviour to stop

They dont want to teach their dog a better behaviour - they just want it to stop the behaviour that the human dosent like
I know EXACTLY why Tai likes to lunge at the chickens in their pens ... because it is FUN to see them all flying up in the air squawking their heads off. It is prey drive - if he could, he would get in there and kill them. It is up to me to stop him doing that, quickly. Which I have done. With a couple of tugs and some sharp "no's", he no longer does it. Until the next time
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Just watched the video, so sad to see this dog being yanked around so much. I didn't have the volume on and the body language is so sad
Why do people do this to dogs instead of build trust and build up successes?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I know EXACTLY why Tai likes to lunge at the chickens in their pens ... because it is FUN to see them all flying up in the air squawking their heads off. It is prey drive - if he could, he would get in there and kill them. It is up to me to stop him doing that, quickly. Which I have done. With a couple of tugs and some sharp "no's", he no longer does it. Until the next time
If he does it again next time then you havent trained him anything
There was a house we walk past with two huskeys in the garden who always barked mental at us
Mia ignored them - nice surprise
But Ben barked back
You could hear him panting and getting excited and ready to pant as we came close to the house - and it was getting so that he would bark first and set them off
So all I did, for the first week from just before he started panting I shoved treats down him as fast as he could eat them - he didnt get a chance to bark and was rewarded for being quiet
The next week I gave more of a gap between treats
Within 3 weeks he was happily looking up at me (with no command from me) the whole time we were walking past the dogs housem - whether I had treats or not
Then if the dogs barked I quickly gave him a treat
Now he calmly walks past the house, if they bark he looks up at me - and dosent bark
So from the day I decided I didnt want him to bark he hasnt given a single bark, he needs no commands from me and I only have treats with me a couple of times a month
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
as a rider i do understand what youre saying but its not to do with them feeling any kind of energy or aura, its as you said, they can PHYSICALLY feel the tension, therefore react to it, if you were to feel (emotionally) tense but have a loose rein and relaxed seat, the horse would not react, same as with a dog, if you have a reactive dog but dont hold the lead tight or tensely, the dog will not feel the physical tension, therefore wont react to it.
I think as well it is to do with what happens next
For example dogs often go balistic when the lead tightens because they have got used to something bad happening after it
No mystical energy, every time lead goes tight there is nasty dog so he goes balistic - so lead tight = balistic

I found this out accidently because with Mia I wasnt sure of her triggers so I tightened the lead often - and often nothing happend to her after tight lead - therefore to her tihght lead = just some random thing her clumsy human does
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Ben Mcfuzzylugs;2229099]
For example dogs often go balistic when the lead tightens because they have got used to something bad happening after it

do u mean the 'nasty dog' is the bad thing?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 05:03 PM
There was a house we walk past with two huskeys in the garden who always barked mental at us
Mia ignored them - nice surprise
But Ben barked back
You could hear him panting and getting excited and ready to pant as we came close to the house - and it was getting so that he would bark first and set them off
So all I did, for the first week from just before he started panting I shoved treats down him as fast as he could eat them - he didnt get a chance to bark and was rewarded for being quiet
The next week I gave more of a gap between treats
Within 3 weeks he was happily looking up at me (with no command from me) the whole time we were walking past the dogs housem - whether I had treats or not
Then if the dogs barked I quickly gave him a treat
Now he calmly walks past the house, if they bark he looks up at me - and dosent bark
So from the day I decided I didnt want him to bark he hasnt given a single bark, he needs no commands from me and I only have treats with me a couple of times a month

No mystical energy, every time lead goes tight there is nasty dog so he goes balistic - so lead tight = balistic

I found this out accidently because with Mia I wasnt sure of her triggers so I tightened the lead often - and often nothing happend to her after tight lead - therefore to her tihght lead = just some random thing her clumsy human does

I really must learn to stop joking ... yet again, my flippant and obviously pathetic attempt at humour fell on stony ground!

I was JOKING Ben! I don't expect Tai to go back to his old naughty chicken-frightening ways, but I suspect that he might try and slip one in one day just to see if we are still on our toes

that's not a question of having been, or not having been, trained correctly. That is merely taking account of his breeding - mal/husky mix, high prey drive, highly intelligent, norty gene!
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2011, 09:06 PM
I

yes good point! so it (tightening of lead) might in fact be called classical conditioning
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, but both animals' sense of smell is thousands of times greater than our own, and they can smell fear as well as feel it. Through our sweat, or pheromones, or our increased level of breath.
That's so far from correct, I don't know where to begin. There is nothing, nowhere to suggest that they can smell fear. It's just this kind of outdated , folkloric misconceptions that have wrought so much suffering onto dogs.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Just watched the video, so sad to see this dog being yanked around so much. I didn't have the volume on and the body language is so sad
Why do people do this to dogs instead of build trust and build up successes?
Because some people don't understand the body language. Because they want a quick fix. Because this appears to get results faster than positive reinforcement as it doesn't consider the dog at all. Positive methods would involve slowly desensitizing the dog to its triggers and it can take time to see any improvement and could be months before it could go for a proper walk. This gets the dog out and about much sooner and unfortunately that's all some people care about. And showing it who's boss of course because it not wanting to go for a walk means it rules the household
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-04-2011, 09:55 PM
This is like me claiming I got someone to stop smoking by punching them in the face when you lit up. True, I stopped them from smoking then and there, but remain smokers.. Just as gnasher hasn't trained to the dog, merely manages it with force.

Millan and his fans often confuse forceful management with training
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Poor confused dog absolutely no consistent guide lines for it to follow at all.I think the family badly needed an education on how to be responsible dog owners.
Page 10 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »