View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 10:19 PM
I doubt anyone 'wishes to' support puppy farms.

Even to suggest they might want to is slightly insulting IMHO.

The OP was asking for advice.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Honestly, if she wants a Puggle... it's going to be hard to find one from a so-called reputable breeder. Since these so-called reputable breeders only support breeding "purebred" dogs.

Nobody that breeds mixed breeds for sale can be good people like the wonderful "reputable breeders". There is no way that mixed breed puppies for sale can be sold by good people who care about dogs. Pssht... please. Sarcasm.

It's not fair to say that at all. I refuse to accept that breeders of designer dogs are always bad breeders and produce unhealthy dogs. It's not true, which is why I refuse to accept it.

The prices of the dogs are not always that outrageous, which does suggest that these particular people are simply out to make money... but I have seen these designer breeds sold for more reasonable prices and actually health tested so....
Did anyone actually say reputable breeders only support the breeding of pedigree dogs? It is extremely difficult in the uk to find a breeder of crossbreeds that health test. That is a fact not an opinion, they do exist but are very few and far between. There are also plenty of disreputable breeders of pedigree dogs, that too is a fact. No one is saying all crosses are unhealthy but if they are not from health tested parents they are no healthier than pedigrees from unhealth tested parents. Of course it is entirely possible to take a chance on an unhealth tested pup and end up with a perfectly healthy dog. I have a mixed breed from such a mating who has proved so far at the age of 6 to be perfectly healthy but it's a lottery and you end up gambling on the future health of the pup, not something you want to do after paying £1200 for the pup. You're right the prices of crosses/ designer breeds vary massively and price is no guarantee of quality either.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I doubt anyone 'wishes to' support puppy farms.

Even to suggest they might want to is slightly insulting IMHO.

The OP was asking for advice.
I'm sure they don't wish to support a puppy farm and yet for one reason or another many do, otherwise they wouldn't thrive. Not suggesting the OP is one that will as she seems to have her head screwed on and asked for confirmation of her suspicions.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Trouble, are you insinuating that if you get a health tested puppy that it will have no health problems? Even with health testing, there isn't a promise that all the puppies will be totally healthy.

Also, there are only so many ailments that health testing can cover. Perhaps all your pedigree health tested dogs have been healthy... but then so have all my mutts.

My most recent mutt has a weak hip and soy allergies, but the hip I link to extremely early neutering and is a very mild case, and the allergies are very mild, as well.

My dogs are always rather healthy and never come from a breeder. So I simply don't think that people should always run to a "reputable breeder" and instead get whatever dog they want.

All I'm saying is that a Puggle is a designer breed and is going to be hard to find and that if she wants that, then she is going to have to chance it. You can find health tested designer breeds, though they aren't common.

I don't speak about dogs in term of "quality". Not even sure what that means exactly. Perhaps show quality, pet quality? Puts me off. I know many people (even here) with dogs (many pure bred) with nasty health problems that no amounts of health testing could have prevented.

I will admit that I don't believe that "health testing" is really all it's chalked up to be. A GSD with strong hips, elbows, perfect sight, hearing etc. registered with the AKC or whatever that gets early cancer wasn't a healthy dog to begin with, despite the breeder doing all the relevant health tests.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Trouble, are you insinuating that if you get a health tested puppy that it will have no health problems? Even with health testing, there isn't a promise that all the puppies will be totally healthy.

NO which is why I said THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES, but you do know it won't get the issues tested for, assuming the tests were clear.

Also, there are only so many ailments that health testing can cover. Perhaps all your pedigree health tested dogs have been healthy... but then so have all my mutts.

Of course there are but if someone is going to pay £1200 for a pup, why not get the best they can?

Sydney came from health tested parents and avoided any issues usually associated with Dobermanns, was fit healthy and a total joy but that didn't stop him developing bone cancer and being pts at 8 years old. I'm guessing you didn't pay £1200 for your mutts too.

My most recent mutt has a weak hip and soy allergies, but the hip I link to extremely early neutering and is a very mild case, and the allergies are very mild, as well.

Syd's cancer could have been linked to neutering too but it's not proven it was and it makes no difference HE's still gone

My dogs are always rather healthy and never come from a breeder. So I simply don't think that people should always run to a "reputable breeder" and instead get whatever dog they want.

You're missing the point Myra, it's not a discussion about Pedigrees v Mutts, the OP was asking if a specific breeder was reputable and there prices are the same as a well bred Pedigree but they are selling crosses which are not health tested as far as we can tell because there is no mention of it on the website.
I agree you can be lucky and get a healthy cross or mutt< I have one myself but he cost me nothing. There is a huge gulf between nothing and £1200.
Of course people should get the dog they want but they shouldn't be ripped off by unscrupulous breeders.
All I'm saying is that a Puggle is a designer breed and is going to be hard to find and that if she wants that, then she is going to have to chance it. You can find health tested designer breeds, though they aren't common..

Puggles are not hard to find at all, they are all over the net for sale. You can even find them from health tested parents, although I believe those breeders tend to be commercial breeders, as in their primary source of income is from breeding dogs, not someone I personally would choose to give my money to but each o their own.

I don't speak about dogs in term of "quality". Not even sure what that means exactly. Perhaps show quality, pet quality? Puts me off. I know many people (even here) with dogs (many pure bred) with nasty health problems that no amounts of health testing could have prevented.

There's also plenty that could have been avoided by selective breeding, and it's not even all about health testing. It's about common sense in many cases as in don't breed a pug with breathing difficulties because your just passing the problem on to the offspring. Not breeding Westies with pink itchy skin otherwise you're just producing more Westies with pink itchy skin. It goes on and on but a puppy farmer doesn't care, they're knocking dogs out for profit and give no thought to the pups welfare or that of the mother who is frequently bred on every cycle.

I will admit that I don't believe that "health testing" is really all it's chalked up to be. A GSD with strong hips, elbows, perfect sight, hearing etc. registered with the AKC or whatever that gets early cancer wasn't a healthy dog to begin with, despite the breeder doing all the relevant health tests.
Anyone or any dog can get cancer it's on the increase and no one can say what was inherent and what developed over it's lifetime. As I said before Syd had cancer but he also lived a healthy life up to that point, he was well bred and lived a life without dodgy hips, itchy skin, vwd, thyroid isues, heart issues, spinal issues etc etc. H e had a life well lived albeit a life cut short by cancer. I owe that to all my dogs where possible.

Also the issue is about money, whether we like it or not, why pay the same for a pup from a breeder who is only interested in making their living from their dogs when you could purchase a pup from someone who has devoted their life to producing the best possible pups they can, usually at great financial sacrifice to themselves. So you may not like to talk about quality but that's what it's all about.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-02-2014, 10:06 AM
I don't think she was ....... but if you health screen for inherent problems and the breeding stock is clear then you are eradicating those problems from the gene pool.

i.e both my dogs parents have ben tested for PRA , both are clear so my dog is clear and will not suffer from the mentioned.

and as such will ensure off springs will be free from

I really don't think early neutering will be the cause of your dogs hip, it could be all manner of things, from inherent weakness to environment ,

For such a young dog to already have hip issues suggests to me more than early castration.

Its a pay your money take your chance situation, everyone is entitled to buy from where they want, but you cant get away from the fact if you buy from someone who HAS tested their dogs (for breed related health issues) you are upping your chance of owning as healthy a dog as you can.

All I'm saying is that a Puggle is a designer breed and is going to be hard to find and that if she wants that, then she is going to have to chance it. You can find health tested designer breeds, though they aren't common.
And even less common here in the UK, the site mentioned in this thread is an example of this, one issue you may not have noticed is one of the studs is a Beagle.!!

I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to suggest that health tested dogs would be free from ANY health issues throughout their life,

Sadly we can test and eradicate SOME but just like humans, NONE OF US are immune to ill health.

Not sure of your point here ... are you suggesting that to get cancer you must be unhealthy
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Did anyone actually say reputable breeders only support the breeding of pedigree dogs? It is extremely difficult in the uk to find a breeder of crossbreeds that health test. That is a fact not an opinion, they do exist but are very few and far between. There are also plenty of disreputable breeders of pedigree dogs, that too is a fact. No one is saying all crosses are unhealthy but if they are not from health tested parents they are no healthier than pedigrees from unhealth tested parents. Of course it is entirely possible to take a chance on an unhealth tested pup and end up with a perfectly healthy dog. I have a mixed breed from such a mating who has proved so far at the age of 6 to be perfectly healthy but it's a lottery and you end up gambling on the future health of the pup, not something you want to do after paying £1200 for the pup. You're right the prices of crosses/ designer breeds vary massively and price is no guarantee of quality either.
Agree with everything you say, life is a gamble in what ever aspect arises.......... we cant guarantee good health for us let alone our dogs, BUT we can cut down the odds on things we Can do something about.........i.e HEALTH SCREENING!!

Health screening is NOT going to make dogs live healthy lives , but it does cut down Some of those issues,

Also agree about pug health, most " ill" pugs you see will not have come from someone who is breeding for healthy dogs, I know a few pugs and believe me, they don't resemble the image some folk try to portray them to be.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

08-02-2014, 10:44 AM
This makes interesting reading about "Designer Dogs".
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Agree with everything you say, life is a gamble in what ever aspect arises.......... we cant guarantee good health for us let alone our dogs, BUT we can cut down the odds on things we Can do something about.........i.e HEALTH SCREENING!!

Health screening is NOT going to make dogs live healthy lives , but it does cut down Some of those issues,

Also agree about pug health, most " ill" pugs you see will not have come from someone who is breeding for healthy dogs, I know a few pugs and believe me, they don't resemble the image some folk try to portray them to be.

If only these people could see a really healthy Pug, Phoenix my black one runs like the clappers, she looks like a cartoon dog as her back legs are going so fast. She would no doubt be great at agility as she leaps and jumps great heights for such a small dog. She's a complete dare devil and while I accept she is exceptional, as she easily out runs the other two the others are no slouches either. It proves Pugs don't have to be overweight or have breathing issues they can be just as fit and healthy as the next dog given the right start in life.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2014, 12:24 PM
I used to know a Pug who belonged to the wife of a Gamekeeper. He was out every day with the springers and kept up with them with no problem.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >