View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Do some dogs give off "bad doggy vibes"?

I ask this because today on a walk with Alfie we met a beautiful American Bulldog X Staffie who was only about a year old, full of life and just wanted to play!

He was on the lead and Alfie and a female labrador were playing and having a great time off the lead, but the lady shouted over he was friendly so we left them to play.

When she comes over with this lovely Bulldog X, Alfie goes up to him, and kept snarling at him and making a heck of a noise.

He came away but then went over to him again (as he was keen to see Alfie and just wanted to play) and did the same again?! All snarling and properly in his face - not doing any damage but being a proper little grump.

Needless to say I grabbed Alfie and took him away, put him back on his lead and we walked away, but Alfie kept trying to turn round and watch/go to him, while the Bulldog X just wanted to come over and play.

I will add that this big American Bulldog cross, was so lovely he didn't so much and growl back or retaliate at all!

I am totally confused as to why Alfie took such a massive disliking to this big puppy, who was so friendly and clearly just wanted to play!

The reason I ask is that the woman said that only recently this beautiful big puppy had been bitten by a Collie too and had a mark on his ear.

Do some dogs who seem bouncy and friendly on the outside give off bad vibes to other dogs? Or was Alfie just being a grumpy terrier?

Doesn't help that Alfie seems to think he is the size of a lion
antiques2bloved
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2014, 06:53 PM
It sounds as if it was territorial. That was the first time your Big Little Man met Bull X. Your Baby Alfie, was letting the "new kid on the block" know, " This is my park and my lady friend". If Alfie and Bull X ever meet again, ask the owner to place Bull X on his lead, as well as Alfie and allow a "nose to nose", met and greet. Hopefully Bull X does not become aggressive. I say that because the owner told you Bull X had already been in a "dust-up" with a Collie.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2014, 06:56 PM
it may be a breed thing a lot of dogs take offence to my american bull x staff who just wants to play they would rather get to my rather grumpy staffie to say hello to him lol
zarah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Do you know if the other dog was entire? My Dobermann is the daftest dog you could meet but other dogs (both entire and neutered) used to take real offence to him. I know these other dogs weren't nasty dogs in general as they were ok with friends' neutered dogs. The only difference was that mine was entire. Bitches on the other hand absolutely loved him!

I had him neutered when he was 6 (due to medical reasons) and have not had a problem since (he's nearly 10 now). I'm sure it must have been to do with the scent he was giving off.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2014, 08:57 PM
I wonder if it's a breed thing too - I had a border collie bitch who always gave a warning growl to boxers - she was absolutely fine with every other dog she met.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2014, 09:31 PM
I don't think they give off bad vibes but they can use body language/behaviour that is either full on. As this dog was a big male, and only about a year old, he was probably still an adolescence so it would be fairly normal for an older dog to try to put him in his place. If he is continuing to be very bouncy with all dogs, which is probably, he will be learning the hard way (hence the nip on the ear from another dog already) and will be getting quite used to being squished and told off by other dogs.

Even if they are neutered male dogs will still go through two phases of puberty as other glands take over with different surges of hormones once they have been castrated.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2014, 10:54 PM
My dopy friendliest dog on the planet, earlier today shocked me by lurching at and barking and snarling at another dog who was wearing a very 'strange' coat? I stand by what I always say ... you never know what might 'spook' them. The last time she reacted to a dog in this way was to a particularly wrinkled shar pei who she approached in her usual wagging happy dopey fashion until she got close enough to notice she couldn't see its eyes (nor could I) I could only think that was why she behaved like that.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
My dopy friendliest dog on the planet, earlier today shocked me by lurching at and barking and snarling at another dog who was wearing a very 'strange' coat? I stand by what I always say ... you never know what might 'spook' them. The last time she reacted to a dog in this way was to a particularly wrinkled shar pei who she approached in her usual wagging happy dopey fashion until she got close enough to notice she couldn't see its eyes (nor could I) I could only think that was why she behaved like that.
They can also react that way off he dogs turns and has particularly penetrating pale eyes, or hair over their eyes. I think they think they are being stared at.

Then funniest reaction I ever saw to eye colour was a five month old shepherd pup in classes who was supposed or be doing a recall but decided to investigate a husky pup. She was sniffing its back happily when the other pup turned round and the shepherd leapt in the air when she saw its eyes!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
They can also react that way off he dogs turns and has particularly penetrating pale eyes, or hair over their eyes. I think they think they are being stared at.

Then funniest reaction I ever saw to eye colour was a five month old shepherd pup in classes who was supposed or be doing a recall but decided to investigate a husky pup. She was sniffing its back happily when the other pup turned round and the shepherd leapt in the air when she saw its eyes!

It was my last GSD I had in mind when I said 'you never know what might 'spook' them' lol!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2014, 11:40 AM
I'd say some dogs just don't like big bouncy dogs no matter how friendly they are. Frankie my little terrier always warns bouncy dogs off, as if to say "watch your step mate I ain't no pushover" and he lives with big bouncy dogs and he has no qualms about telling them to watch out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >