View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:37 AM

Fussy puppy - feed tripe or persist with kibble?

My 10 week old puppy is being a very fussy eater.

He never LOVED his kibble and would pick at it when I put it down but never ate loads or finished his bowl.

we tried mixing in some wet food we wanted to feed him and he ate it on his first meal then refused it the next one.

We had started trying to mix in some fish4dogs kibble in with his which is what we wanted to feed him but he spits out the fish4dogs pieces!

we have mixed in some raw tripe and he LOVED it and ate every last bit (although if we had some fish4dogs in there he would spit most of them back out too but would eat his normal kibble mixed in with it and ate every last bit.)

We are not sure if we should just keep mixing tripe in with his kibble or persist and hopes he gets better at eating as he gets used to the idea that this is all he is getting.

I am not sure if he is hoping he will get more training treats instead of his kibble or hoping he can survive on just these treats alone.

What should we do? Will he ever get as excited about his kibble mixed with wet food or should we just let him have his tripe which he loves so much?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi
Tripe and Kibble should never be fed together, as the digestion rates are differnet for both.

If you want to keep him on kibble and wet, then thats what i would do..

But if you want to feed tripe (or course with out the kibble) Then why not feed it alone..Have you thought about the raw diet..

Most dogs perfere tripe to there kibble
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:25 AM
he has an iron stomach, he has not had a problem with whatever he has eaten.

I wanted to feed raw but he wouldn't eat raw beef or raw chicken. Only the tripe 0_o

I didn't think feeding tripe and tripe alone would be a balanced diet which was my problem and why he has the kibble with it.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Tripe isnt a balanced diet, but im sure you could do something with it..Like feeding the different tripes, adding veg and fruit ect..and when he is abit older he may go for the beef and chicken..Not sure if anyone on here feeds a deit of tripe.

we feed a raw diet that contains tripe, but alot of other things to.
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:31 AM
he licked the beef but kept spitting it out.

It is hard as he loves the tripe so much but if he wont eat the other elements of a raw diet I don't want to malnourish him by only feeding him tripe on its own.

Maybe we should see if he will go back to kibble with wet food and only give him tripe as a kong filler. He must be hungry now as he didn't eat his dinner or his breakfast as it didn't have tripe in it. Just about to see if he will eat his lunch......
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:43 AM
When you say he eats his "normal" kibble, what is that?
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:48 AM
the kibble the breeder had him on which is Royal Cannin Minni Junior but he was only picking at it and not eating much at all. Plus he had dandruff when eating that.

We got some Fish4Dogs for him but he spits the pieces out.

We also got Natures Harvest Puppy wet food which he ate the first time I put it down mixed with his Royal Cannin kibble (he licked the bowl clean) then next meal he wouldn't touch it.

We originally wanted to feed him Fish4Dogs mixed with Natures Harvest Puppy
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Panda84 View Post
the kibble the breeder had him on which is Royal Cannin Minni Junior but he was only picking at it and not eating much at all. Plus he had dandruff when eating that.

We got some Fish4Dogs for him but he spits the pieces out.

We also got Natures Harvest Puppy wet food which he ate the first time I put it down mixed with his Royal Cannin kibble (he licked the bowl clean) then next meal he wouldn't touch it.

We originally wanted to feed him Fish4Dogs mixed with Natures Harvest Puppy
Hmmm...my Yorkie was a fussy little beggar for the first couple of months. She did grow out of it, so there might be light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Is Nature's Harvest the wet food that comes in the trays? I'm not familiar with it, although I've heard of it. Can you blast it in the microwave to warm it through? many dogs find warm food much more tempting as it brings out the smell and flavours.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Ours have tripe....even the pup Tess, they love it, I do mix in puppy mix and they do have veg at times.

Just make sure that you do not give too much tripe though, Tess has 3 complete dry (mixed with a little warm water) and the tripe for the 4th with puppy mix, she is thriving on it.

Good luck
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:07 PM
he just had one bite of his kibble mixed with the wet food then walked away. he sat there staring at it for a minute though.

If we gave him tripe mixed with his kibble in the evenings would he not hold out for his evening meal?

I love giving him tripe as he loves it so much and his dandruff has gone since he has been eating it.

Yeah natures harvest is in a tray. he loved it first time I gave it to him then now he doesn't. so strange! Oh well, if he doesn't eat it by quarter past he wont get anything else till his dinner.

I guess we can try to introduce the tripe again once he is happily eating his kibble with wet and if he gets fussy again I guess he just cant have it
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >