Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I agree that some things we can know. With one of my Dobes, I KNEW he had fireworks thrown at him, I saw it. I know he was starved, I picked him up off the floor when he was barely able to stand. I know he was stoned by kids, Steve saw them. There was a LOT of other things though after I got him that I think" I know where they came from, but Id never say for sure because I dont know.
Thats sounds horrible, poor Dobe
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Thats sounds horrible, poor Dobe
He came good very quickly, he was fabulous!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I think I know about some of my rescues---I do know about a couple.

I think you are being very unpleasant to Ramble BD.

No justification for it IMO.

rune
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I wouldnt say she had or hadnt, neither should you, because you dont know! You were very offended by people who said it was cruel to confine her to a lead, now you have the hump because somebody questions what you actually have no knowledge of at all, you "assume."

For your info, my friend and I speak regularly, thats what friends do, converse.

You havent offended me, but your thinking is strange for one I thought was very experienced, shouldnt "think" though should I? You continue with Tango, keep her on a lead, think to yourself eating crap is a breed thing when it isnt, know she has had an ecollar used on her when you dont, never going to bother me is it?
Actually Dawn it obviously does seem to bother you quite a lot.

Your breeder friend even said she had pups do it Dawn.It IS a breed thing. One breeder 'friend' saying it is not a breed thing, despite her having pups that did it...doesn't mean it is not a breed thing Dawn.
So...you don't think I should keep Tango on a lead. Tell me Dawn what would YOU suggest I do? You think it would be a better idea for me to allow her to take the small fluffy Bichons...or indeed the Border Terrier she was ready to floor today? Or should I continue to work with her in the hope that one day I will be able to let her be offlead around other dogs? I have sought advice on this one Dawn...from lots of different trainers...and to be honest I thnk at the moment I can't do much more than I am doing...but believe me I am more than open to hearing more positive methods I can use to deal with it(infact I picked up a great tip from MIsh the other week that has helped lots ). Fire away...to help..if she was offlead around a running dog she would fixate on it , go into hunter mode and then floor it. Should the dog get up, she will floor it again and again...all whilst growling.Loudly. She is fine with young pups (less than 4 months) and totally ignores them. She will sit and be fed treats next to any other dog. She will walk onlead with any other dog and has done so happily in the situations we have set up for her. She gladly let a bitch stay in the house and loved her...as long as she didn't run. In fact her initial meeting with her was in an open space and the bitch ran and Tango floored her...as soon as they were inside and the bitch settled...no problems at all.
She will also chase livestock.
So...I have a training plan in place for her...but I am more than happy to hear your suggestions as you obviously have an issue with her being onlead. Truly...let me know what I should do so she can be let offlead around other dogs, but bear in mind I only do positive and reward based training. She trusts me and I am not about to jeopardise that.
I don't have the hump with you questioning what happened to her Dawn, I have the hump with your whole attitude with me throughout the thread.
Nope...I won't ever 'know' if she had a shock collar used on her. I can be pretty convinced though. I am with her...you are not.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
Exactly, you only know what you are told, my point entirely.

I havent been unpleasant, Ive pointed out that "thinking" you know what happened to a dog is wrong if you dont know.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Actually Dawn it obviously does seem to bother you quite a lot.

Your breeder friend even said she had pups do it Dawn.It IS a breed thing. One breeder 'friend' saying it is not a breed thing, despite her having pups that did it...doesn't mean it is not a breed thing Dawn.
So...you don't think I should keep Tango on a lead. Tell me Dawn what would YOU suggest I do? You think it would be a better idea for me to allow her to take the small fluffy Bichons...or indeed the Border Terrier she was ready to floor today? Or should I continue to work with her in the hope that one day I will be able to let her be offlead around other dogs? I have sought advice on this one Dawn...from lots of different trainers...and to be honest I thnk at the moment I can't do much more than I am doing...but believe me I am more than open to hearing more positive methods I can use to deal with it(infact I picked up a great tip from MIsh the other week that has helped lots ). Fire away...to help..if she was offlead around a running dog she would fixate on it , go into hunter mode and then floor it. Should the dog get up, she will floor it again and again...all whilst growling.Loudly. She is fine with young pups (less than 4 months) and totally ignores them. She will sit and be fed treats next to any other dog. She will walk onlead with any other dog and has done so happily in the situations we have set up for her. She gladly let a bitch stay in the house and loved her...as long as she didn't run. In fact her initial meeting with her was in an open space and the bitch ran and Tango floored her...as soon as they were inside and the bitch settled...no problems at all.
She will also chase livestock.
So...I have a training plan in place for her...but I am more than happy to hear your suggestions as you obviously have an issue with her being onlead. Truly...let me know what I should do so she can be let offlead around other dogs, but bear in mind I only do positive and reward based training. She trusts me and I am not about to jeopardise that.
I don't have the hump with you questioning what happened to her Dawn, I have the hump with your whole attitude with me throughout the thread.
Nope...I won't ever 'know' if she had a shock collar used on her. I can be pretty convinced though. I am with her...you are not.
Doesnt bother me whether you have your dog loose or not.

Its a "dog" thing not a breed thing.

Given you are saying she is dog aggressive, do you muzzle her when she is out?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
surely the desire to procreate is a need...much stronger than the desire to exercise?
We have entire dogs and entire bitches here. The dogs only show an interest in the bitches when they are in season, never at any other time. Totally different to an inherent instinct bred into a working dog.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Exactly, you only know what you are told, my point entirely.

I havent been unpleasant, Ive pointed out that "thinking" you know what happened to a dog is wrong if you dont know.

Doesnt bother me whether you have your dog loose or not.

Its a "dog" thing not a breed thing.

Given you are saying she is dog aggressive, do you muzzle her when she is out?
Not all breeds do it Dawn. A vast number of FCRs do do it.
Nope as we don't allow her offlead so it is a non problem. She is not dog aggressive. She is dog reactive, she never gets the chance to be dog aggressive as I don't put her in that situation.She has never, since being with us at least, hurt a dog.
To muzzle her would put her at risk...given she was attacked by an offlead BT with an owner with no recall who demanded one of her treats...and took it out on Tango when he didn't get one
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
I agree, it's almost like there is more to it than we're seeing.

Ramble has made such an effort with Tango, included paying for a course from an expert dog trainer to learn more about how to improve her dog's lives. I don't see how she deserves your tone.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
But my point is, you could crate a dog outside, without any form of company, in weather that we would consider unacceptably cold, but not quite cold enough for a dog with enough nutrition to die in, and it would survive. It might not be flourishing, but it wouldn't be dead. Dogs don't need shelter if it's sufficiently mild - there's a point when shelter is more than comfort and is essential for survival, agreed, but at some point, it is just a comfort.
There are sled dogs who live out all year round in sub-zero temperatures and not only survive, but flourish and live a very active and fulfilling life pulling their sled There are many aspects and different breeds/situations and mentality to this question when you start looking more deeply into it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:17 PM
What do you mean by "flooring" another dog then, out of curiosity? I would associate that description with aggression...forcing a dog over, growly loudly over it, I wouldn't say was just reactive.
Page 43 of 46 « First < 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 >