View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-08-2008, 09:00 PM

If someone kicks your dog, is it a crime?

I'm not talking about the real world where every civilised, educated, and compassionate person would never do this.

I'm talking about some moron who runs up behind you and sinks his boot into your dog and you were able to grab him and march him into the nearest cop shop what could they charge him with

We all know the law is an ass - just interested to know what people think and if any legal people here could say. I could be wrong but I'm not sure there is anything in law that would apply. Opinions please.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 09:03 PM
If that happened I don't think I'd be marching him anywhere. I'm not too good at carrying dead weights.....

....and no, I don't think the police could do anything - although it may be a "public order offence"
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi, there are some well qualified people on here to give you an answer to that. Me - i'd be charged with assault, gbh and quite possibly manslaughter if anyone dared to touch my hounds like that Has someone done it to yours? Luckily we have a lot of dog friendly cops around and i think i'd know what answer they'd like to give, lol.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 09:12 PM
We had had some trouble with neds in our area hitting golf balls and letting off fireworks at our dogs (cured by a dogwalk of over 20 dogs )
But I had a dream one night that someone had hurt Ben and in my dream I repeatedly smashed the person in the face with a golf club - rather unlike me
When I told fellow dogwalkers the response was 'if anyone hurts wee Ben then no matter what happens you were in my house!!'

I suppose the offence should be a cruelty to animal type one, think when dogs had licenses it would have been property damage
- either way its your word against theirs
It should be assault
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I think dogs are classed as 'property' and you might therefore get them for damage to your property. An awful way to look at it though
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I have no idea but wouldnt be surprised if there was some loophole letting them get away with it.

But if it happen to me and mine the cop shop would be the last place they would go, the local hospital or undertakers are much more likely.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Losos - i think you can see what the general consensus is on here, lol.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 09:45 PM
If you survived the rottie, you would have to face me,

that aside, I think things like, BOP, may be used, not sure, Thats one I must look into,
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 09:49 PM
It happened to me!

I posted about this a couple of years ago. Off lead dog rushed up and attacked my on lead dog. I was 7 months pregnant at the time and my dog was just recovering from a bout of fits.

The owner first kicked his dog and after failing to get a response, put the boot in to my dog! His reason - "I was trying to stop them!"

I punched him - a few times.

I was beside myself and I remain unrepentant to this day.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It happened to me!

I posted about this a couple of years ago. Off lead dog rushed up and attacked my on lead dog. I was 7 months pregnant at the time and my dog was just recovering from a bout of fits.

The owner first kicked his dog and after failing to get a response, put the boot in to my dog! His reason - "I was trying to stop them!"

I punched him - a few times.

I was beside myself and I remain unrepentant to this day.
I'm not into violence - but, good for you! What did the bloke do?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >