Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I take it then that you don't want to see our common garden and song birds thrive? I mean, in the interests of just letting species get on with it.
lol of course i do! but song bird decline isnt caused by their native predator, its 100% man made, ...do you understand predator/prey relationship?? im no fan of the RSPB but this is really good.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ppredator.aspx

are you worried about the impact 10 million domestic cats might be having on our song birds Jo? compare that figure to approx 80,000 sparrow hawks
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
lol of course i do! but song bird decline isnt caused by their native predator, its 100% man made, ...do you understand predator/prey relationship?? im no fan of the RSPB but this is really good.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ppredator.aspx

are you worried about the impact 10 million domestic cats might be having on our song birds Jo? compare that figure to approx 80,000 sparrow hawks
So are you saying you'd like to see a cull on domestic cats? Well perhaps we ought to let foxes carry on with their natural progression then?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:27 PM
So are you saying you'd like to see a cull on domestic cats? Well perhaps we ought to let foxes carry on with their natural progression then?
of course im not! i love all animals cats included... i merely asked you a question...habitat loss, pesticides,..cats! all put far more pressure on song birds ...so why make the sparrow hawk the scape goat??
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes, but which species was targetted, do you know it was a fox that was targetted, and the raptor species was an incidental occurrence of the fox being targetted, or was bait put out with the hope of poisoning raptors, and a fox got in the way?

Unless you can say either way what purpose the bait was left out for, you can't really say it was there for foxes, or for raptors, it was simply there.
The poison is illegal. Poison does not discriminate.

However ...

"They also found a dead fox, which had been poisoned, and a sheep carcass laced with carbofuran.

A Webley revolver and a Browning pistol were also recovered.

When interviewed by police, McKellar indicated that he had, in the past, placed carbofuran on meat for foxes to eat."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-19517341
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:32 PM
of course im not! i love all animals cats included... i merely asked you a question...habitat loss, pesticides,..cats! all put far more pressure on song birds ...so why make the sparrow hawk the scape goat??
I'm not making sparrowhawks the scapegoat for anything, unless you're trying to tell me they are not victims of their own success. So tell me their numbers are low enough, and they don't predate on other declining species, that they themselves shouldn't be considered a threat. I'm sure pigeon fanciers, have absolutely b*gga all to do with current level of sparrow hawks, no matter what bizarre and historical references you may have come up with.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
The poison is illegal. Poison does not discriminate.

However ...

"They also found a dead fox, which had been poisoned, and a sheep carcass laced with carbofuran.

A Webley revolver and a Browning pistol were also recovered.

When interviewed by police, McKellar indicated that he had, in the past, placed carbofuran on meat for foxes to eat."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-19517341
Ah right, so a common o' garden gamekeeper concealing hidden weapons with a practice of lacing a sheep carcass with poison to supposedly kill foxes, something that anyone on here who is pro hunting/shooting has already said they're absolutely against, they don't dispute it happens but do say it is simply not the norm and do not agree with people posting and making accusations as if it is the norm..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Nobody said it was the norm or made any accusations. It was simply stated that it does happen.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm not making sparrowhawks the scapegoat for anything, unless you're trying to tell me they are not victims of their own success. So tell me their numbers are low enough, and they don't predate on other declining species, that they themselves shouldn't be considered a threat. I'm sure pigeon fanciers, have absolutely b*gga all to do with current level of sparrow hawks, no matter what bizarre and historical references you may have come up with.

Ah right, so a common o' garden gamekeeper concealing hidden weapons with a practice of lacing a sheep carcass with poison to supposedly kill foxes, something that anyone on here who is pro hunting/shooting has already said they're absolutely against, they don't dispute it happens but do say it is simply not the norm and do not agree with people posting and making accusations as if it is the norm..
yes you are Jo you are putting the blame on them for song bird decline, again do you understand indiginous predator/prey relationships? you really ought to read this link it explains it well http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ppredator.aspx
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:40 PM
And nobody disputed that it doesn't happen, but to make it a point of dispute about the debate makes it seem as though it is something that is the norm, and it simply isn't, as has been said.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 08:45 PM
yes you are Jo you are putting the blame on them for song bird decline, again do you understand indiginous predator/prey relationships? you really ought to read this link it explains it well http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ppredator.aspx
Nothing from the rspb will persuade me I'm afraid, I don't trust them one bit.

I asked you a question, you haven't answered it. Do you not believe sparrowhawks are responsible for the decline in some areas of our native species?

I can tell you from experience, I live in a row of cottages in the middle of nowhere, only once have I hard the garden birds calling in alarm in unison, I know there are two cats who are local to the area, neither hang about near my propty as the dogs bark at them. I wandered down into the garden the last time I heard the alarm calls, looked over the wall of the neighbouring proeprty, and a sparrowhawk made off with a young blackbird. It's not the first or last as they nest in this area.

I trust the rspb as far as I can sipt the anacronism, their figures mean nothing to me as long as they lie about their own stance on preservation. They deem it fit to allow an alien speices to predate on a protected raptor species, well, talk about pot calling kettle black!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Imagine big box on stilts, birds inside, traps open, birds fly out. The guns are generally stood round in a circle, I've only ever seen photographs of it, thankfully I've never actually seen it happening, I don't think I could stand and watch something like that. I don't have a clue where any of them are used either, I do know it's something that is done in the US more, not an idea I'd like to take off over here.

Sorry to go back this long on a thread but this caugth my interest. Why do you you find this so distastful? The birds are released the birds are shot, the birds are dead, what's the difference, the birds dont know how they've been shot so whats the difference?
Page 23 of 31 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »