Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Goats and stuff

Yesterday was the first day out for Bill and Ben (pygmy goats). Spent the morning building a pen and then we put them out for a few hours yesterday afternoon. The plan is to have them in a smaller pen in the paddock and then when they are used to that, and being moved, we will let them have the run of the paddock with Dusty.

I have had 2 indian runner ducks sitting in a broody box. We candled the eggs and found 14 fertile so we shared them out and put them back. Yesterday, I saw one dead duckling just in front so went to check. The 2 adults, ran out and disappeared off up the hill and didn't return for 30 mins. Now, the ducklings are only a couple of days old so they weren't exactly being motherly. Lots can heppen to young ducklings without protective mothers. We decided to bring them in and rear them ourselves.

We also have a turkey and a chicken looking after 2 turkey chicks together. They were sitting next to each other and hatched these 2 off. They both look after them really well and it's really cute to watch.

We also have another turkey who has hatched off 2 chicks herself so we are keeping a close eye on her!

Helen
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 09:44 AM
OMG How CUTE are those goats!!! I adore Goats!!! I want one (or 12 LOL)! I have always wanted goats I think it started when my twin was booted by our neighbours goat... I liked him extra special after that! Just like the Donkey that bit her hand, The deer (petting zoo) that bit her boob, and the pony that stepped on her foot, and the dog that bit her, and the goose that chased her.... All my favorite animals growing up!

Ummm what does that say about me? LOL

still LOVE your goats tho! LOL
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah, domestic ducks are rubbish mums!

We have got Exchequer Leghorns due to hatch on Thursday - I am horribly excited!

Loving the goats too - I want some!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
OMG How CUTE are those goats!!! I adore Goats!!! I want one (or 12 LOL)! I have always wanted goats I think it started when my twin was booted by our neighbours goat... I liked him extra special after that! Just like the Donkey that bit her hand, The deer (petting zoo) that bit her boob, and the pony that stepped on her foot, and the dog that bit her, and the goose that chased her.... All my favorite animals growing up!

Ummm what does that say about me? LOL

still LOVE your goats tho! LOL
lol! Animals didn't like her then? lol

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Yeah, domestic ducks are rubbish mums!

We have got Exchequer Leghorns due to hatch on Thursday - I am horribly excited!

Loving the goats too - I want some!
The khaki campbells seem to be good mothers and we've got a couple of broods with them. One of our runners also raised a brood last year, sucessfully. Will have to make sure that we let these two sit, but take the eggs away before hatching!

One of the keepers has either got or wanted exchequer leghorns. He has a thing about leghorns and has got all the different colours. Good luck with the hatch and I would love to see photos!

Helen
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Great photos Helen!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks

ps, the muck on the bottom of the duck "bucket" is just from their feet when we brought them in. Had to quickly set up a home for them so had to chuck them in while we did it!

Helen
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
lol! Animals didn't like her then? lol

Helen
Ha ha nope, they really didn't! I never once got bit, kicked clawed or booted... but she seems to have been by everything we ever came across! LOL