View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Speaking as someone who used to be a roofer i can honestly say-you cannot effectivly repair an old flat felt roof and they should be replaced when leaking.Only a cowboy would do the cheap option.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Speaking as someone who used to be a roofer i can honestly say-you cannot effectivly repair an old flat felt roof and they should be replaced when leaking.Only a cowboy would do the cheap option.
Thanks Steve,
I just think they like taking shortcuts too try & save money
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Oh well I sorry, but if you tried everything then all I can do is wish you luck for tomorrow.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Thanks Steve,
I just think they like taking shortcuts too try & save money
They'll never make an effective water tight seal Sal cos old felt degrades badly and no matter how much bitumen you spread on a patch-it always curls at the corners then leaks again.Once water gets underneath the felt-it causes horrendous problems inside cos timber and plasterboard takes ages to fully dry out.

If this is a housing association attempting the repair it dont suprise me cos they tend to be 'jack of all trades and masters of none'.If you check your front garden-you should see an old wooden frame where the cowboys tie their horse to...
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
Oh well I sorry, but if you tried everything then all I can do is wish you luck for tomorrow.
Thanks Colin Especially for the great advice to isolate the electrics.

You've been a great help :smt023
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Good luck today - give it to them between the eyes!!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Give me strength

Arrrrrrgh
It's like hitting your head off a brick wall,the roofers have been out again this morning,the roof looks fine & they don't seem to know how & where the water is coming in
So we have a sparky calling this afternoon to check the electrics & take the light fitting down,the roofers want the ceiling boards down so they can see exactly where the water is coming in but they can't do anything till Monday,so I told them what I thought,(not the roofers the silly moo on the phone in the office)not pleasant but I didn't swear at them believe me I felt like it!

The Inspector is also coming out,so if no satisfactory outcome is forthcoming on Monday then as I told them I will be contacting solicitors and persue action under section 82 of the environmental health act 1990.I also told them I think the court would take a very dim view of the still outstanding repairs & we have photographs to use in court as evidence if necessary.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2