View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2008, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=stolen_wing;1313604]Its so sad when people ruin a breed just to 'meet with demand' so to speak. So many breeds have succumbed to it. I'm fairly proud to say taht whenever I get an animal or breed in my head i will alwayas do as much research as possible before I even consider getting one. As a results I (fortuntately) dont have endless amounts of tortoises, mice, chinchillas, fish and so on!! Though I have owned a fair few animals! Anyway.... i'm digressing :S

Do any of you know if they are good with small animals? Cats for example? Most dogs are fine if they are brought up with them but just to check.[/QUOTE]

Yes as long as they have been socialized with then.... one of my friends has a cat, the dogs respect her, she is the boss.

the other (breeder) has horses, /chickens/ ducks cats and a Westie an Pom, the Vizsla respect all of the above.
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes as long as they have been socialized with then.... one of my friends has a cat, the dogs respect her, she is the boss.

the other (breeder) has horses, /chickens/ ducks cats and a Westie an Pom, the Vizsla respect all of the above.
Thank you so much for all your help! So far they sound like the type of dog Ive been looking for for ages! I cant wait til we move now!!

Any more views or advice still welcome, thanks.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I dont have a HWV but I do have something very similar and he is a very difficult dog to handle.

He is extremely loving and would be my constant shadow if I let him. He thrives on human interaction, is great fun and is very much a dog which wants to be involved in everything you are doing. Although it's good because it means he's very loyal and dedicated, it also gets a bit too much because he can make a nuisance of himself and the constant reasurrance he wants from you does get tiring.

On the opposite side of the coin, he's got a very strong mind and can be willful if he gets an idea into his head. I've read that GWP's, HWV's and the like need sensitive handling. I did bear this in mind when I first got Flynn but he's virtually bomb proof and has a character so strong that he's virtually impossible to break. It became apparant that sensitive handling wasnt the way to go with him. I also know one of his litter mates and he is the same.

As for energy, well, he would keep running until he dropped down dead. It's almost like he has OCD about exercise! I've lowered his protein levels and it makes no difference, he's constantly on the go. If HWV's are the same, and I suspect they are, they definately require vigorous and lengthy exercise as well as a job/activity to do.

They are very people orientated dogs, all gundogs are, so make great family additions and are easily trained but they definately arent a breed for the lazy and do need a task if they are to be mentally and physically fulfilled.
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2008, 01:43 AM
A couple of pics of my Vizslas for you...
Magik

Magik

Lil
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by Foo View Post
A couple of pics of my Vizslas for you...
Magik

Magik

Lil
Oh I'm in love: 007:,they are gorgeous,you lucky so and so,xxxxxxxxxx
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2008, 07:19 AM
they are so lovely
Pebs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi,
When we were looking for a dog I wanted a gundog, having been brought up with labradors which were trained as gundogs, I wanted something a little different. The two breeds which were on my short list were, Hungarian Viszler (smooth haired) or a GSP ( German shorthaired Pointer). They both have a very good temperment, and are very loyal
( our GSP is constantly following me around). They take a lot of time,as they don't like to be left alone. Luckily I work for myself and she likes nothing more than riding in my van,and meeting all my customors.
We wanted to buy a GSP because it just tipped the balance for us.
Pebbles has a lot of exercise. She loves running round the local fields. She'll do 30 laps of it before you've done even one.
I'm sure that a Hungarian Viszler would give you as much love, exercise and loyalty as our GSP does. If you have the time and energy for Him/Her I'm sure that you'll have some brilliant times together.
Please let us know if you do buy a Hungaian Viszler.

All our very best,

Pebs
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks Pebs, thats really lovely. I'm hoping to start working for myself so hopefully I will be able to take the dog out with me in the future too
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2