Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Gastroenteritis ?

My dog has got gastroenteritis. ? my poor thing still off his food, can understand as his tum must be sore, what can i give him to tempt him to eat? he hasn't eaten since Friday.or shall i wait another day to tempt him to eat?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
My dog has got gastroenteritis. ? my poor thing still off his food, can understand as his tum must be sore, what can i give him to tempt him to eat? he hasn't eaten since Friday.or shall i wait another day to tempt him to eat?
Maybe a little scrambled egg, see if you cant tempt him, if not try again tomorrow.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Maybe a little scrambled egg, see if you cant tempt him, if not try again tomorrow.
yes thanks will do.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I find the safest thing to do is to be guided by the dog, if you are sick do you feel like eating?

Drinking is most important.

After that repopulating the gut with good bacteria

So live yoghurt (ie yeo valley)
If he is hungry add some banana, manuka honey and tree bark powder and blend into a smoothie
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2012, 09:58 AM
I too was going to mention about fluids being more important than food. When Harley had this, I had to syringe feed him dyorilyte (sp?). It helps replenish their elecrolytes.

I don't know how true it is, but I remember reading about egg being bad to give with upset tummies as it helps harbour the bacteria. As I say, I don't know how true it is as we used to give scrambled egg to our old Westie when he was ill and it did him no harm that we were aware of, but I'll always opt for chicken or fish now instead
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I`m sure the OP understands about fluid intake, and will have been advised by the vet.

If a dog was without fluids for this amount of time, I suspect it would be in the vet by now on a drip
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2012, 11:05 AM
TBH, if it was me I just wouldn't feed the dog anything until it wanted food.

Having had gastroenteritis myself, eating is the last thing you want to do.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I usually boil some chicken breast (no skin), add a few potatoes and a couple of carrots, then mash it up, blend it all and that way, he'll be getting all the fluids as well that he needs. Best served warm coz the smell will tempt him hopefully.

Boiled fish is the easiest on the tum, add some mashed potato, but whatever you do, always use water in those eggs and mash, never milk or butter, but you probably already know that.

All the best, nothing worse than seeing them suffering like this, I've been there a lot with mine.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I`m sure the OP understands about fluid intake, and will have been advised by the vet.

If a dog was without fluids for this amount of time, I suspect it would be in the vet by now on a drip
yes you're right he's drinking fine on his own now after syringing him all day yesterday, bought some yogurt and will try him again later in the day when its cooler. definately no milk. i bought some mash so will see how we get on.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2012, 07:34 AM
well several trips to vet and 5 days on , he's still not eating properly. had a couple of pieces of chicken and a slice of ham yesterday but thats it. Vet gave me some tabs for him to get his appetite back but still not eating. Drinking fine, going for small walks . vet wants to xray today for blockage but he has passed a small soft poo this morning.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >