Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dtburton75
New Member!
Male 

22-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Ultimate dog toy inventor.

Hi everyone, I have designed the toy and I would like to get input from other dog owners. So if anyone could help that would be great.

In case anyone is wondering what I have designed, it is a human free tug of war toy. I call it" Tug A Dog."
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a good idea for dogs left home alone all day. I would be happy to give you input.
dtburton75
New Member!
Male 

22-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Here is a link a short clip of my final prototype.

Tug A Dog First test with NEW dogs.: http://youtu.be/NIpLVqh4RwQ
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Hello Doug please note we don't allow user submitted advertising on the forums but as you are just asking for opinions and not selling anything I guess that is ok.

I would say your device is not really new, it is a short version a 'flirt pole'.

The gorgeous Archie sadly no longer with us

Flirt Pole Fun! (Wire Fox Terrier)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2015, 08:04 PM
dt - looks great fun ... would it be "wolf" proof though - my dog is a low percent wolf cross, weighing 45 kilos with incredibly strong shoulders and teeth - I am thinking he would destroy it in seconds, but it does look great fun for smaller dogs.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Oh well done!
Was really wishing the other dog would get a turn
Looks like great fun
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2015, 11:30 PM
That's something I would change about it. It needs two sides, or perhaps the owner could just install two toys in the yard. The other consideration for my dogs too would be how strong the ball and attachment are.

The only toys my pups don't shred immediately are Kong Ballistics and I think they're made of something similar to Kevlar. The bull breeds have some serious teeth
dtburton75
New Member!
Male 

23-01-2015, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have had fun making this toy and I believe I have something strong enough to withstand any dog pulling on it. A dog can only pull it's own weight and the products used to create this tug toy are strong enough to hold up walls.

We have installed 2 toys at once before but then it becomes tug of war between 2 dogs just the rope stays in one place. One thing we did notice though is the dogs did not get agresive with each other like they normally would. Is it because it was stationary or new? Time would tell but I took it back home for my dog to play with.

Meg, this isn't designed to be a flert pole it is a tug toy designed to hold up to some serious play. I will post a video of a hard tugger for you.. some fresh footage I got today.

gnasher I would put this up against a wolf any day.. hahaha

Enjoy the clip folks!

Maddy tugging hard: http://youtu.be/3EV79NTKakg
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Dt ... The northern breeds can pull many times their own weight, and I would think that many others too. My wolf cross/mal/husky could pull my husband on his bike weighing 13.5 stone up an incredibly steep hill at the canter! Alaskan malamutes can pull incredible weights
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by dtburton75 View Post

Maddy tugging hard: [url]http://youtu.be/3EV79NTKakg[/url]
Hello Doug I would be concerned that a dog regularly pulling with that force might eventually damage/loosen its teeth.
When playing tug with a human the play period is restricted because the human gets tired.

There is also an element of continuing training in the dog/human interaction in a game of tug as the dogs learns to 'give'.
I play tug with my dog, she 'gives' when requested and her reward is praise and a continuation of a game. All this continually reinforces the 'give' training so that if she gets hold of something she shouldn't have (which she does on a daily basis) I can quickly retrieve it from her with ease.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >