register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Does your dog like to dig?
Yes 30 60.00%
No 8 16.00%
More than one dog - some do, some don't 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2009, 04:52 PM
No mine don't dig, well Frankie does but only in search of lost treats under the radiator covers
litma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
None of mine have shown any inclination.

I was thinking of teaching Stumpy so she could help me out with some holes that need digging for some new plants, but then I thought better of it ....don't want her deciding to dig up the whole garden.

So then it got me thinking - is the like for digging breed related?

I'd like to hear which breeds do and don't dig (though I can't cover all breeds on the pole, so just a yes no for that)

if you want a good digging dog get a utonagan i have no grass left well not much and big holes all over the place, they even dig out tree stumps lol lol
my dals dig very little and tess dont much only if you play getting her to dig
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I voted some do, some don't

Jack only very occasionally, when he thinks the lawn (and I use the term 'lawn' loosely ) has got in his way and he's annoyed at it but my old boy Tom also a BC was an obsessive digger, it was his 'thing' especialy on the allotment, he'd be right there beside you digging, giving it all he'd got, and just like the characatures of dogs digging, his bum was in the air and soil flying out from behind him type of thing that was my Tommie, but he also used to bite the heads off flowers and pick the green tomatoes from the vine and spit them out
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Mo loves to dig on the beach and comes up with a nose covered in sand
In the garden she will have a crafty dig until she knows she is being watched and then she slopes off as if to say "it must have been that cat again it wasn't me!"
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:08 PM
No none of mine (BCs) or Johns (BSDs)
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Pepper, my Schnauzer, likes to dig, she tries to dig under the fence to get to next door's bunnies, she like to dig on the other side just in case there is something interesting, she likes to dig under the bamboo, she likes to dig under the trampoline and she like to dig in our excuse for a lawn, I daily expect a small child to break an ankle in one of her traps. She also likes to try and dig up carpet, doormats and duvets.

Gozo will join in but I've never seen him initiate an excavation.

I'm saving up for artificial grass! That'll sort her!

J
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
They will both dig the odd time in the garden but Beau goes mad on the beach. He gets a glazed look in his eyes and just goes for it
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Mine don't dig..They EXCAVATE!!

We have now completely slabbed over the mud
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Louise - OMG!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Pepper, my Schnauzer, likes to dig, she tries to dig under the fence to get to next door's bunnies, she like to dig on the other side just in case there is something interesting, she likes to dig under the bamboo, she likes to dig under the trampoline and she like to dig in our excuse for a lawn, I daily expect a small child to break an ankle in one of her traps. She also likes to try and dig up carpet, doormats and duvets.

Gozo will join in but I've never seen him initiate an excavation.

I'm saving up for artificial grass! That'll sort her!

J
Oh yes Mini's are often enthusiastic diggers as are most rodent catchers .
Luckily Chloe is not too bad or should I say I let her dig in the field rather than on my lawn .

I have a large Badger set near my house and Chloe decided it might make a good digging spot because the earth was already soft I managed to remove her before she did too much damage
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >