Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 10:38 AM

Reasons why I hate going to the vets

Plan for this morning was to go to the allotment, however one of my cats Colin, has a bad eye so I thought take him over to the vets first. But I hate going to the vets because

Reason 1) I got there (only over the road) just after 9 and it was packed

Reason 2) I only like to see the good vets (yes they have a bad one) so I had to wait for him............got to see him at 10 past 11.

Reason 3)Whilst waiting two guys(in thier late 50's early 60's) came in with a young Rotti, I heard them ask if they could go straight in and the nurse told them she would vacate a room for them, I was even stroking this Rotti.........when they came out, they came out without him, had him PTS because they couldn't manage him and he'd growled at the neighbour I thought that was rather shocking, and it upset me.

Reason 4) The hugest chocolate labrador I have ever seen in my life (and I've seen a number of labradors) the rolls of fat down it's legs were revolting, the vets tried weighing her and determined she was 4 times her normal weight. When they came out of the clinic the nurse said ''right no more cream cakes, chocolate bars, biscuits etc., your to only feed this and we will weigh her next week''

The reply...........can you ring my Mother and tell her this as she will not believe us, and she has a large victoria sponge waiting for her on her return home How it reached 4 years old eating like that is a mystery to me
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 10:44 AM
I hate days like that at the vet too Steph, some how I always manage to get an appointment when the crematorium van is there and it brings back all the bad memories...
Some days I like waiting cause you see so many other cats n dogs ect, but when your faced with people being so stupid with their beloved pets like the lab you saw it just beggars belief, how the staff cope with not handing out the odd slap I really don't know ! x
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 10:44 AM

That is just appaling

No wonder you hate the vets - though I know what you mean about the "good vet" there are 2 at my vets that are great and 1 that, well I just can't stand!! Thankfully in the last year or so I have only seen the good ones

Poor Rotti and poor lab
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
HI Stph,

That's terrible about the rottie and lab. Any vet worth his salt wouldn'yt destroy a dog that COULD possibly be rehomed and raised proeprly int he right hands. Why on eareth couldn't those guys have taken the dog to a rescue? OK it's not ideal, but there would've been a chance for him.

And that poor lab. It disgusts me when people come out with stupid comments like that. Clearly they don't car much for their dog if they feed it crap all the time. Bet he doesn't get much exercise either!

If you want to see the good vets, can't you make an appoint,ment to see someone specifi? We have a choice where I go and I only see one of 2 (of the 4 vets there). I make appointments purely to see them on days when they're in the surgery and unless it's an emergency or I have absolutely NO choice, I will wait rather than see one of the other 2.

Which vets do you use?

Laura xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
oh my word, no wonder visits like that depress you.

How sad for that rotti and for the lab
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I hate days like that at the vet too Steph, some how I always manage to get an appointment when the crematorium van is there and it brings back all the bad memories...
Some days I like waiting cause you see so many other cats n dogs ect, but when your faced with people being so stupid with their beloved pets like the lab you saw it just beggars belief, how the staff cope with not handing out the odd slap I really don't know ! x
Me neither, and do you know what really got me, those guys the way they just walked in with the Rotti, why not try a rescue centre if they were finding him to hard to manage, he looked to me just to be exciteable....I stroked him, he was loving it.
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post

That is just appaling

No wonder you hate the vets - though I know what you mean about the "good vet" there are 2 at my vets that are great and 1 that, well I just can't stand!! Thankfully in the last year or so I have only seen the good ones

Poor Rotti and poor lab
These kind of days get me....
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
HI Stph,

That's terrible about the rottie and lab. Any vet worth his salt wouldn'yt destroy a dog that COULD possibly be rehomed and raised proeprly int he right hands. Why on eareth couldn't those guys have taken the dog to a rescue? OK it's not ideal, but there would've been a chance for him.

And that poor lab. It disgusts me when people come out with stupid comments like that. Clearly they don't car much for their dog if they feed it crap all the time. Bet he doesn't get much exercise either!

If you want to see the good vets, can't you make an appoint,ment to see someone specifi? We have a choice where I go and I only see one of 2 (of the 4 vets there). I make appointments purely to see them on days when they're in the surgery and unless it's an emergency or I have absolutely NO choice, I will wait rather than see one of the other 2.

Which vets do you use?

Laura xx
Our vets don't do appt, it's walk in all day long, I think the vet who handled the Rotti did have a lengthy chat, but they seemed unbudging, so sad too as he was still so young
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
oh my word, no wonder visits like that depress you.

How sad for that rotti and for the lab
So sad, yet sat next to me was a guy with a 18 year old BC, who he said was deaf, going blind and had arthritis, I asked what she was in for, and he said ''just a check up'' How sweet is that
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh that poor Rottie what a shame, how can people just calmy walk in and do that, Wonder what the vet thought???
I would have been devasted if I'd known that before they took him in.
And the Labrador What!!!!! some people just don't deserve to have dogs. they think there being kind, but I think this is abuse and total ignorance
Hope Colin is ok.....can't you change your vet if your not happy with them?

Just out of interest Steph, how old would you have said the Rottie was? I'm surprised the vet allowed it Surely he could have tried to persuade them to find a shelter or a rescue or some kind to take the poor thing.
Beggers belief hun

Elaine xxxx
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm really shocked at the Rotti , I agree with Elaine , there must have been another way.the stupidity of the Labs owners is shocking too. I am not fond of going to the vets either, although we have a good one, just had a postcard this morning to remind me my twin cats Buzz and Murphy are due their boosters so I guess i'll be off to the vets soon at least we have apt times and you can choose which vet you want although they are both good, I think its more the cost of it all that makes me feel the way I do!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Oh that poor Rottie what a shame, how can people just calmy walk in and do that, Wonder what the vet thought???
I would have been devasted if I'd known that before they took him in.
And the Labrador What!!!!! some people just don't deserve to have dogs. they think there being kind, but I think this is abuse and total ignorance
Hope Colin is ok.....can't you change your vet if your not happy with them?

Just out of interest Steph, how old would you have said the Rottie was? I'm surprised the vet allowed it Surely he could have tried to persuade them to find a shelter or a rescue or some kind to take the poor thing.
Beggers belief hun

Elaine xxxx
Since my row with them over Reah, they really pull out all stops for me, so i have no beef with the vets themslves, only with (sorry to be so blunt) aging guys who obviously had no knowledge of handling a young Rotti (he was around 2) with nothing wrong except a few misplaced manners. God I have a few misplaced manners myself, but i wouldn't expect Pat to have me PTS for them......... Ok I agree he was a bull in a china shop and they had problems holding him, but I saw no agression only ''YIPPEE'' I'm here and Bruce does that everytime I take him to the vets, plus shows me up with his lack of ''I'm too excited to listen to you'' once we're there. I had the cat on my knee and he made no attempts to grab the cage or see what the cat was doing, it was THIER lack of guidance that was making the problems.
I know that vet who did the dirty deed wasn't happy, but if you own a dog and sign it over for PTS thier hands are tied.
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
I'm really shocked at the Rotti , I agree with Elaine , there must have been another way.the stupidity of the Labs owners is shocking too. I am not fond of going to the vets either, although we have a good one, just had a postcard this morning to remind me my twin cats Buzz and Murphy are due their boosters so I guess i'll be off to the vets soon at least we have apt times and you can choose which vet you want although they are both good, I think its more the cost of it all that makes me feel the way I do!
The labrador's owner wants shooting too in my opinion (not that I'm upset and annoyed, can you tell) mind you the person who brought it in was told that if they didn't comply with the advice they would be reported to the RSPCA.....so that was something.....absolutely disgusting, the poor thing could hardly walk with the fat....and pant, it sounded like a steam train
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
The last two times i've been to vet i've found that most the people in there are really judgmental. They've looked at Monty like he's about to kill something any minute. He's 7 months old and had never even remotely attacked anything so why assume because he's a big breed he will kill everything.

I'd expect that at the park where children play but at the vets where animal lovers are?!?

I also hate the way people look at me with the dog at the vets because i'm young and look a lot younger than i am. Its the kind of "she's not old enough to have a dog" or "why have her parents sent her to the vets with the dog" type look.

Really riles me. And your story about the rottie is horrible, how can people do that. Surely there were other options before it came to that.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >