View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Found a dog to adopt but realised she's deaf- what to do?

I have been on the look out for another dog and to cut a long story short I have been trawling the rescues. Earlier today I found the perfect dog - a nice size, looked away when she came face to face with the resident cat. So we take her for a walk with my dog & they were absolutely great together. She's advertised as an English Setter but I would say she's got a bit of Saluki in her too.
Thing is I realised she's deaf, the rescue says she's about 2 (according to vet) I looks like she's had a litter or 2 because 4 of her nipples are large. She does pull and her nose takes over a bit when she gets a scent. I gave her a good run much to my OH's amusement. This made her more responsive. She has such a gentle disposition & I've really fallen for her but I haven't got the foggiest where to start with the deafness. The rescue didn't realise she was deaf - she'd just come over from the pound in Ireland.
Unfortunately someone might have reserved her, so I won't know till tomorrow 9am if I can have her. What do I do?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Deafness is no big deal, it's just one less distraction for them!! Go for it You can get vibrating collars for deaf dogs so you can get their attention, and then you just have to train using hand signals which is no different from using your voice. I've not had a deaf dog myself but would love to some day. Patch made a really good post about deaf dogs here if you want to look; http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...39#post1654639
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that thread. Very insightful - so much so I've taken the plunge & left a message with the rescue saying that I'll have her if she hasn't got a home yet. eek!!! just wish I'd read that thread before I went to the rescue because she could have been mine now. Doh! I've got a night biting my nails till I find out!
I know she's the right dog. Never in my dreams would I have thought I'd go for a Setter. Everything about her is perfect, she's so serene. Beautiful.
Scroll down to the English Setter.
http://www.scarc.co.uk/adoption.htm
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
As a family pet when I was a child we had a Dalmatian who my mother bought when he was 6mnths old. The breeder,did not tell her that he knew the puppy was deaf,until she had got him home and we realised the fact. He was not a registered breeder,just doing a pet mating. How could we part with the spotty baby!!!! Hand signals work,and he coped until he was 9yrs old.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
She is beautiful, I hope you get her.

There are a few people on here who have had experience of deaf dogs, I am sure they will be more than happy to share advice with you.

Best of luck x
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't think I can wait till 9am! I'm going to have an early night & hopefully wake up at 8 - enough time to wait for Mouse to get up (she's up at 8.30am and not a moment before!!!!). So then we'll be able to go out on a celebration or commiseration walk on the park. I think I need a drink......
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Nerve-wracking stuff!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, she is gorgeous!
pumpkinpie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
OMG she is a jaw dropper Hils. Fingers crossed for you I think I am getting up very early so please let me know if you get her.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Aaaaagh they're not answering the phone!!! I didn't sleep a wink last night lol
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:08 AM
There is a book you can buy for training deaf dogs called Hear Hear.
Becky
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >