View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Bitch refusing to eat Raw food that she has eaten before both raw and cooked? Help!

Zuki is being a bitch, I slave away preparing yummy food and she turns her nose up she did not eat her lamb yesterday and will not eat her liver tonight she happily ate her turkey mince and veg and also her chicken wings and thighs, the thing is she has eaten them both cooked recently do you think she prefers them cooked? I have been putting it down and taking it away after 20min, but obviously this could get expensive Would it be better to try everything once and then stick to what I know she will eat? I am concerned that she wont get all the nutrients needed if I do it that way Is there anyway in which I can make them more tasty? I have tried sealing it in the pan and giving it to her that way but still no joy Also could someone list all the meats that dogs are allowed just for reference, I am feeling really low about this because Baku has eaten everything put in front of him, even though its his first time with it all and he is a little unsure as to how to eat things

Please help
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 08:40 AM
maybe she is just not hungry?

My raw fed dogs dont eat every day - sometimes they have a 'fast day'.

relax - your bitch will eat when she is hungry, and if she is otherwise healthy, there is no need for concern.

maybe its her way of tellign you to stop slaving

thandi
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 08:55 AM
i agree with thandi when feeding raw you wil often reach a full point where they are still digesting as it is a normal rate compared to "fast food" sorry couldn't resist the pun xx
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
maybe she is just not hungry?

My raw fed dogs dont eat every day - sometimes they have a 'fast day'.

relax - your bitch will eat when she is hungry, and if she is otherwise healthy, there is no need for concern.

maybe its her way of tellign you to stop slaving

thandi
Thanks Thandi, you are right she isn't that big an eater anyway and she will not over eat, hopefully she'll like the fresh sardines I have for her tea
Donna xx
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I am not in any way suggesting that you ought to follow suit, or that my way is any better for your animals (I would only ever assume to know what works for my own) - but I wanted to show you something, that hopefully will give you food for though (scuse the pun ) and get you to chill out a bit.

Many years ago, when I first started out feeding my dogs other than on a commercial diet, I would worry and fuss, and add things, weigh things etc, to the point where I was spending far too much time on it - time better spent with my dawgs frankly

Years down the line I am settled into the 'franken prey' model/approach and this site illustrates it perfectly!

enjoy

http://www.RawFedDogs.net/

click on 'recipes'.

thandi
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks again that was really informative
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 12:59 PM
There are some things Keena just wont eat raw, these are whole mackerel and liver and kidney when it's on it's own, she also doesn't like pig heart raw but loves ox and lamb heart!...So I give her different fish and on days when she is having slabs of meat and no mince to mix in the offal I just chuck it in a pan and cook it up a little so save messing around (offal is one of those things there isn't anything to replace it with unless you want to start supplementing etc, so I don't mind cooking it up when it can't be mixed in every now and then) With the heart I give her mainly ox heart and when she has pig heart I make sure it's on a day she is having tripe or mince or something so again I can mix it in as she will then eat it.

There is no doubt about it that a raw diet suits dogs the most but even so they are just like us and different from one another as to what they like and don't like.

Takoda since being on raw food can get a little lazy with his RMB meals sometimes...It's not that he doesn't like it he just sometimes can't be bothered as he is a little lazy...or maybe it's just that he is more satisfied on raw...In actual fact when Kody was on kibble he was like a little pig with his food! but he has calmed down alot with his raw food. either way...I give him a chance then I will take it away and offer it again later...He ends up eating it. I find I have most success if I feed him an hour or so after his exercise when he has built up his appetite.

You can tell when they really hate something and you know when you wont have much luck with something by the look on their faces...lol (Keena looks as though she will hurl as soon as look at whole mackerel now!) equally you can tell when they have simply just had enough to eat and don't want anymore but will have it later.

How much are you feeding your girl?

As for what meats...All of them so long as they are all in their natural state (not flavoured or anything for humans) I feed beef (inc' Ox), pork, lamb, chicken...mainly...but if it was cheaper I would feed them all sorts including venison etc (but that is out our price range!)
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Remember there is no harm cooking up her liver for her, but try chopping it real small and disguising it in tripe or something cuz that usually does do the trick...but obviously you can't cook anything with the bones in.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I am really lucky with Zuki so I go by how much she eats to how much she gets because she just doesn't over eat. Do you know how to work out the dog weight to food ratio? Baku I have been feeding by eye, although that can be difficult when Zuki lets him finish off hers if I'm not looking
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
I am really lucky with Zuki so I go by how much she eats to how much she gets because she just doesn't over eat. Do you know how to work out the dog weight to food ratio? Baku I have been feeding by eye, although that can be difficult when Zuki lets him finish off hers if I'm not looking
Adult dogs = 2 to 3% of body weight

Puppies = 2 to 3% of estimated adult body weight

(daily...remember to split puppies food up into smaller meals as usual)

Both to start as a guide and then increase or decrease from there as suitable.

Takoda for instance was 40kg when we started out and I feed mine 2.5% (40 x 2.5%) = 1000g or 1kg. He is up to 42kg now but I am staying with feeding him 1kg as he doesn't need more than that at the moment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >