Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jayneybabe15
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Soft lump/swelling on dogs neck ??

i found a soft like swelling/lump onthe back of my dogs neck where its loose( like where the mother picks them up when theyre puppies)...its not a hard lump but feels soft like its full of liquid or something...im bit worried..does anyone have any idea what this could be??
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Think a vet check is best for all lumps and bumps. better safe than sorry. Good luck xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Jayne - if the lump is soft and movable under the skin it is quite probably just a fatty lump and nothing to worry about - when are you taking your girl back for her check-up after her emergency spay and stiches/staples out? Or has she already been?

If she has not, mention it to the vet when you take her. If she has and you are really worried, telephone your vet when you can and ask his/her advice.

xx
jayneybabe15
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2013, 02:38 PM
shes back at the vets on the 5th dec to have her stitches out..i only found the lump yesterday..just when things were going so well..more worry..shes been through so much and i dont want to keep want to keep distressing her ...shes not the best patient ,just feels more squishy then hard lump
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Hello Jayne , could it be the site of an injection , Daisy may have had a number when she was ill recently .

I would keep an eye on the lump for any signs of leakage/heat which could indicate an abscess.

If there is no change you can get the vet to check it on the 5th or earlier if you have concerns.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 03:15 PM
As Meg said, this could be due to an injection among other things. I don't think it will hurt to leave it until your appointment as it is not painful and obviously not bothering them. Scruff of the neck is a favoured injection site with some vets.

My old Cavvy got a 'reaction' to every injection she ever had. Some turned like moles and were grainy - one had to be removed later on.

But I had a cat who had a big soft lump like that on his neck (but at the front) and the vet drew some fluid out to show me it was just clear and it was harmless and it did actually just 'go away'. He said at the time it could be 'stress related'? I've not a clue. Stressed me out a bit!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I too immediately thought of an "injection lump". They are very common, and whilst they are alarming they are absolutely nothing to worry about.

I suspect, and hope, that this is what it is given the recent history at the vet.
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2013, 12:39 AM
It could be a lipoma or a fatty tumor, they are usually benign. It could also be the start of an abscess, from an injury or bumping against something. And like the other girls suggested it could also be an injection site reaction. If that is the case you can gently massage it for the next few days and the swelling should go down. My little Chihuahua always swells like that when she gets Her vaccinations. I would just keep an eye on it and show the vet when you go see him again
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Jayne, the lump has gone hard? If you are worried, don't be afraid to contact your vet. They won't think you're a wussbag, really.

Fatty lumps or cysts are very common in dogs. If they move about, not being anchored to muscle tissue, and if they don't cause your dog any discomfort, it's likely one of these, but if you are at all concerned about a lump, it is worthwhile checking it out, especially if it has changed lately.
jayneybabe15
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2013, 07:34 AM
hi everybody,thanks for all your advice ,daisys swelling seems to have gone down over last day or so and shes absolutely fine and back to her normal self,i'll leave it till im back on 5th with her at the vets and ill mention it...shes dying to go out for a run now and keeps whining at the door but cant take her out properly yet till shes had her stitches out bless...i will keep you posted
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >