Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerberos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2012, 10:06 AM

SBT 12 week puppy

Hi, I am thinking of having another Staff pup who would be 12 weeks old when I have him. I've raised a pup from 6 weeks before -- early, i know -- and albeit he was a nightmare for a few weeks, he turned out to be a rather well-balanced and well-behaved dog. My issue now is what preparations would I need to make for a pup twice that age? Is crate training likely to be easier? Any particular issues (including the niceties) would be appreciated, so do impart the collective wisdom, if you will, y'all!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Samson is 19 weeks now and it was really just going back to basics after losing Anoushka at xmas, it will all come flooding back i'm sure, I've never crate trained but used stair gates and he sleeps in the kitchen and we used paper for toileting but put him out a few times a night as well. He is doing really well but was a little nervous and gets upset very easily resulting in upset tums, He knows the word No very well and it stops him in his tracks but we kept most things out of the way of him that he wasn't allowed, It's just like having a baby crawling around the place again but with sharper teeth
Is he coming from rescue or from his mum? should have a better bite inhibition if stayed with mum longer.
Kerberos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Samson is 19 weeks now and it was really just going back to basics after losing Anoushka at xmas, it will all come flooding back i'm sure, I've never crate trained but used stair gates and he sleeps in the kitchen and we used paper for toileting but put him out a few times a night as well. He is doing really well but was a little nervous and gets upset very easily resulting in upset tums, He knows the word No very well and it stops him in his tracks but we kept most things out of the way of him that he wasn't allowed, It's just like having a baby crawling around the place again but with sharper teeth
Is he coming from rescue or from his mum? should have a better bite inhibition if stayed with mum longer.
Yeah, he's coming from his mom. Thing is, I lost my pup around the same time as you. Mine was a bit different, though. He's still alive, thankfully, but he's just living with someone else; somehow it actually makes it feel worse. I was going for a security job and got rejected for the licence, so I figured I was going to have to go back to work long hours for almost zero pay; of course, in the end the SIA finally informed me I just had to wait till this year to appeal. Of course, this was almost 2 months after I'd rehomed Girfter... of course, I am happy with myself that he didn't go to a shelter, but I still have to admit to still having pictures around (for a guy, that's bad) ;] It's a pain of a thing, but I'm settled in now, and still have pups on my mind. Am trying to take it easy and give it some time, but generally I know myself very well, and when I am sure I am sure... I am, however, sleeping on it for a couple of nights, as it were. I'm really interested in seeing how feasible it is getting my stuff together within the next two weeks to have him. Have a hard time getting by without dogs.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2012, 01:28 PM
We got Samson because we felt the same and really missed having a dog around, would it be at all possible to have your old dog back or is he well settled in the new home?
Kerberos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
We got Samson because we felt the same and really missed having a dog around, would it be at all possible to have your old dog back or is he well settled in the new home?
He's too settled. I did my best to rehome him as early on as possible so he wouldn't have any adjustment issues... didn't find out about the SIA till much later.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2012, 03:27 PM
It's really only food toys bed and bowls you'll need and crate if you are going down that route so no big problems to overcome really, But i do know Samson did not cope too good when left alone early on, was a bit whiney but he soon learnt that we'd be home soon and the night times i still put him out once to save him messing indoors.
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2012, 12:21 AM
He may be already crate trained when you get him. Yes, crate train him and use the crate. At night, put the crate next to your bed. If possible, come home at lunch and walk him. It's hard that age to be home alone all day, and he probably won't be able to hold it that long.