Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2010, 10:32 PM

Muffy's Story

Hey guys,

Im a new member joined today and have just been reading through seperate sections and love the fact you have a full section dedicated to rescued dogs, so thought I would share Muffins story.

After I sadly lost my little boy BenJay (Border Collie) I was hurting for a very long time and the prospect of not owning a dog for another x amount of time was tearing me apart. My gran then sadly passed away, I found out about her illness when I was at a friends house. After my Gran sadly passed away (RIP) I was round at my friends house again for comfort and was speaking with her and her Mum. She owned two dogs Deisel and Muffin, Muffin sat with me the entire time I was there asking for cuddles. which they said was odd for her. It was at this point her mum offered me her for free as she could see how well we connected and that she was going to the dogs trust if they couldnt find a home for her. We were given Muffin the next week.

My friend had been asked to look after Muffin for another one of her friends as she had 2 other dogs and couldnt look after her. She was only meant to be with them for two weeks and ended up with her for months. Her previous owners had had a difficult split with her partner who used to beat Muffin. This lead to Muffin having a deep fear of men alone and she would show aggresive to men only because of this. They also received harsh letters and threats regarding Muffins barking (due to her seperation anxiety)

These people had received Muffin from Dogs Trust. Dogs Trust found Muffin as a pup by the side of a motorway tied up and left for the worst to happen to her, beaten and starved.

Thankfully she has now lived to the rife age of 14, although you wouldnt be able to tell! A vet advised me before we found out her age through her microchip details that she looked around 5, when she was actually 13!

She had had no training before other than basic command sit, and has severe seperation anxiety. Through desensitizing I have tackled her fear of men-she now loves my partner Haig whereas when we first got her she would be entirely aggresive towards any man. We have tried to work through her seperation anxiety however have found no "cure" other than my second dog Totts who we got 3 months ago and stops her barking She also now trains at an advanced level in obedience with a small amount of agility. We started her training at 13 and she advanced from beginner to advanced within a few weeks. Just proves theres life in the old girl yet I know she should really be retired but when she was first enrolled we were under the belief she was 5 and when we found out her age I felt there was no need to stop her doing something the excelled and enjoyed.

Would definitly look to give another rescued dog a home in the future. Couldnt ask for more from my girl, cant imagine my world without her

Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Awww, Muffin sounds like she has finally found a loving home with you and is being given the chance to show just what a super dog she is.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks How no-one else wanted to give her the loving home she deserves I will never know! Just glad Im the one to give her her forever home
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
What a lovely looking girlie. Proves you can teach an old dog new tricks!
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Ah crying my eyes out!
She's a beautiful girl and you should be so proud.

Em x
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
What a lovely looking girlie. Proves you can teach an old dog new tricks!
Thank you, we've actually had more people ask about bringing they're older dogs to class since Muffins been going, shes still the oldest in the club though. I forget all about her age tbh lol.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
Ah crying my eyes out!
She's a beautiful girl and you should be so proud.

Em x
Aww sorry her story made you upset. *hugs* Thank you and I couldnt be prouder of her. Just wish I had found her sooner and could have more years from her. I tend to think shes invincible then have to remind myself she is getting on. Just going to make every day I have with her count
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Ah bless her and bless you too for rescuing her! It's so wonderful rescuing a dog in need of love and a forever sofa. I've rescued 4 and the pleasure I have seeing them blossom is just the best.
Good for you....she really is beautiful