Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
My sentiments exactly

And I am not an absolute knumbskull, but for me, something about this whole story just does not sit right with me.

Same with Maddy Mccan, neither did any of that add up right for me.

JMO and my 'gut feeling', not saying it was or was not a fox because I DON'T KNOW, I wasn't there, and nor was ANY SINGLE PERSON here, so NO ONE can say that it WAS or WAS NOT without a shadow of a doubt, only what they PERSONALLY feel is likely.

And as with Maddy Mccan, the truth is left for 'joe public' to speculate, because it makes news, and sells papers, the fact there was even a programme on it, I feel, is ridiculous. My concern is primarily for those 2 baby girls, they are the true victims in all this.

JMHO
Very good post indeed, though I am not sure how it will be received by some. There is something that does not sit right with me either and no I was not there, either. Perhaps it was a fox, perhaps it happened exactly as stated, but perhaps not, none of us know.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Ok, so JMO, but it's our fault these foxes are coming into towns. Things like this story will only become more common until we clean up our act and stop leaving food around for them to have. As has been said before, they are wild animals and should be treated as such. The fact that our towns are now growing and encroaching into their natural habitats means that these foxes may not have anywhere else to go, and - as opportunists - are adapting to life with us. I do not really have an opinion on the original story but I would not say that it is not true as I do not know, I wasn't there! But I will say that we need to promote a safer relationship with these animals. We cannot banish them from our towns and cities, that's just not feasible, but surely there is a way for us to cohabit these places without major dangers being present for either the animals or members of the public?

I don't like the fact that a major cull would be undertaken because of humans. Just because we are the higher species, it does not give us the right to wipe out the urban fox population. JMO!!!

Sarah xoxo
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I saw it. The Foxes that were shot were down instantly, superb marksman.
Indeed he was, I was amazed actually about how quickly they went down, the pain and stress was mimimized for the Foxes, and the neighbours need not of known what was happening either.

Originally Posted by random View Post
My sentiments exactly

And I am not an absolute knumbskull, but for me, something about this whole story just does not sit right with me.

Same with Maddy Mccan, neither did any of that add up right for me.

JMO and my 'gut feeling', not saying it was or was not a fox because I DON'T KNOW, I wasn't there, and nor was ANY SINGLE PERSON here, so NO ONE can say that it WAS or WAS NOT without a shadow of a doubt, only what they PERSONALLY feel is likely.

And as with Maddy Mccan, the truth is left for 'joe public' to speculate, because it makes news, and sells papers, the fact there was even a programme on it, I feel, is ridiculous. My concern is primarily for those 2 baby girls, they are the true victims in all this.

JMHO
I feel though that whatever you feel about whether or not it happened as its said the amount of Urban Foxes and the over population is clear to see, the fact that six were caught in the garden of these people, and the fact that yesterday the pest controller on what I was talking about had over 20 Foxes in one night one area shows that Foxes are not acting normally in a urban enviorment, a Vixen with cubs yes they will be in the same place, but not the amount that there has been in these areas.

Also because of people helping animals when they are sick this also has a impact on animals, this was touched on in the documentry yesterday, they said that before I think it was around 95% of the urban fox population was wiped out because of mange (I think that was the number, not entirely sure, or of the year) but now people are helping sick and injured animals its leaving more to live and bred, its no longer survival of the fittest, its survival of the fittest and ones who live closer to people. People are trying to help, I've only just started thinking of it this way tbh, but in trying to help they are not allowing nature to take its course, and can have a negative impact on species by helping as by people going out just to have a negative impact on a species through over hunting etc.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Also because of people helping animals when they are sick this also has a impact on animals, this was touched on in the documentry yesterday, they said that before I think it was around 95% of the urban fox population was wiped out because of mange (I think that was the number, not entirely sure, or of the year) but now people are helping sick and injured animals its leaving more to live and bred, its no longer survival of the fittest, its survival of the fittest and ones who live closer to people. People are trying to help, I've only just started thinking of it this way tbh, but in trying to help they are not allowing nature to take its course, and can have a negative impact on species by helping as by people going out just to have a negative impact on a species through over hunting etc.
I must say I agree with this too! It's not our place to cure everything and we do need to let nature take its course. Surely they would only be able to over-populate an area if there was enough food there for them all to survive? I think an equilibrium would be reached eventually without us needing to get involved. I must admit to sometimes thinking this about the human population too though... We try so hard to cure everything that we no longer let people die naturally. But thats a different matter entirely...

Sarah xoxox
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah & Mike View Post
I must say I agree with this too! It's not our place to cure everything and we do need to let nature take its course. Surely they would only be able to over-populate an area if there was enough food there for them all to survive? I think an equilibrium would be reached eventually without us needing to get involved. I must admit to sometimes thinking this about the human population too though... We try so hard to cure everything that we no longer let people die naturally. But thats a different matter entirely...

Sarah xoxox
They're surviving so well because of us, because people are feeding them, bin bags with left over food in are easy to get too, people having pets like rabbits, chickents etc in places where Foxes can get in to to kill them (but not neccasarry eat), we are making life too easy for them, but if we just change, and make life tough for them many will starve to death because of us, and I believe honestly that thinning numbers out so that there is only enough for a area of land to sustain naturally is a way to help the Foxes suffer less because of us. We have allowed them to get this way, and whatever happens I think Foxes are going to suffer because of us, so I think to try to bring and cycle to a stop we may have to do one more unnatural thing, and then leave the animals to themselves by changing oursevles to be less accomidating to them, that way there will be a more healthy number where people and Foxes have more of a chance of living in harmony.

Hopefully one day humans will take a step back and see what they are doing to the world, maybe one day distruption to wildlife because of us will be minute, maybe one day nature will run the world again, and we will just look on happily without trying to intervene, maybe one day this will happen, but I don't think that one day will be any day soon.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Haven't managed to read all the replies yet but wanted to give my pov on the story.

I find it very hard to believe this story. I'm not saying it wasn't a fox, in fact it looks like it must have been and as the parents refused a DNA test being carried out I guess we'll never know. What I am saying is that I find it very hard to believe it was a fox, especially one that chose to bypass left over BBQ in a downstairs kitchen, creep up two flights of stairs, past a loud TV and 3 humans, into a room where there were two sleeping babies. It then jumped into on cot, mauled one baby, moved into the other to do the same, also trying to pull it's arm through the cot bars and THEN the humans heard it all?

So odd. My instincts say something is not right and I will stand by that.

I also am disgusted at the knee jerk reaction in killing 6 foxes, just in case. Barbaric behaviour imo! One of them was even thought to have cubs nearby but I don't know this for a fact.

I also think the parents are vile. It reminds me of Madeleine McCann all over again. The story doesn't seem quite right, yet the parents are all over the press. Mrs Koupparis gave an interview the next day, dressed up and chatting away to the press. I would be beside myself with fear and would not leave my babies side!!

So, was it a fox, or not? We'll never know, but those without a voice and the ability to defend themselves are taking the blame anyway.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I watched it last night,

I do believe the kids were attacked by a fox, the only part that I find strange is the time it took for the parents to get to the kids { or maybe foxes just do a lot of damage in a very short space of time}

I did find it concerning that the urban fox has a life expectancy of 15 months where as there country cousins can expect 8 years. Clearly city living is not working for foxes, One of those foxes captured was riddled with mange,
I also found it a tad concerning that people could state if the foxes caught should be killed or taken away to the 'country' and set free, would an urban fox really be able to adapt quickly enough to survive?

I feel so sorry for the parents of these children, so many horrid things have been said about them.

the photos on the tv last night did look like an animal attack to me, but im no expert,
Though I would think the medical experts involved would have quickly spotted injury's not consistent with the story, that and the police investigating it would have soon spotted anything out of the norm.

Dawn.......I was also very impressed with the accuracy of that marks man, I have to say, hes the best I have seen.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I watched it last night,

I do believe the kids were attacked by a fox, the only part that I find strange is the time it took for the parents to get to the kids { or maybe foxes just do a lot of damage in a very short space of time}

I did find it concerning that the urban fox has a life expectancy of 15 months where as there country cousins can expect 8 years. Clearly city living is not working for foxes, One of those foxes captured was riddled with mange,
I also found it a tad concerning that people could state if the foxes caught should be killed or taken away to the 'country' and set free, would an urban fox really be able to adapt quickly enough to survive?

I feel so sorry for the parents of these children, so many horrid things have been said about them.

the photos on the tv last night did look like an animal attack to me, but im no expert,
Though I would think the medical experts involved would have quickly spotted injury's not consistent with the story, that and the police investigating it would have soon spotted anything out of the norm.

Dawn.......I was also very impressed with the accuracy of that marks man, I have to say, hes the best I have seen.
What was on TV last night?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
What was on TV last night?
urban fox attack, which showed amgounst other things a Fox on someones bed, and also the pest controller said that he had heard of other children being attacked by Foxes in their beds too
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
urban fox attack, which showed amgounst other things a Fox on someones bed, and also the pest controller said that he had heard of other children being attacked by Foxes in their beds too
Oh Lord!

What channel?
Page 9 of 13 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »