Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Large Dogs Kept In Apartment

On Dogsey this is a subject that has come up before,but it resulted in a neigbour being mauled to death,The owner didnt call the police and blamed the neighbour for not going back into her apartment when she spotted the dogs,
She locked herself in the apartment with her dogs but police did find them,and took them in custody, as they were not present at the time when the police arrived on scene,People tried to save one of the dogs but they were still pts.

But this case has a twist the pedigree of the dogs were traced to a supremist white group,but I have a couple of links,but in my mind the dogs are not at fault,it is the people who should be charged with murder,and what about the apartment I thought that a check is made and such large animals shouldnt have been allowed to remain in the apartment.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91888&page=1

http://dianewhipplecase.blogspot.co.uk/
Gemini54
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here, we have dogs in our flat, my neighbours had two enormous GSDs last girl died a couple of years ago.

We all manage not to kill our neighbours by being careful how we exit the flats. Always on lead waiting to go up and down stairs until others have passed.

Generally being polite and courteous. When we had Duncan he hated people so I had a dog carrier I would pop him in to carry him down stairs so he couldn't get the neighbours only releasing him once we were in the open area outside.

So keeping dogs in a flat is fine as far as I am concerned.

If these dogs were aggressive then the owner should have taken more care is all I would say from the story.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 03:03 PM
I lived for a year in a flat with 2 GSDs & 2 Collies-one of my GSDs was over 34 inches at the withers & trained for Schutzhund, he managed never to attack or kill anyone(neither did my other GSD)

This is an old story from the USA about dogs that were neither treated right nor looked after correctly. Put the owners down not the dogs
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I think it's the dedication of the owner to making sure the dog has the proper care that is important. I am sure there are dogs living in big houses but who are confined to the utility room, whereas another may live in a small flat but spend its time sitting on the settee with its owners, and be taken out regularly.

As long as the dog is cared for I don't see a problem with it living in a flat. Must be hard work though - it's much easier first thing in the morning and last thing at night just being able to let them out into the garden!

And if dogs are dangerous, they could just as easily scale a fence or escape from the garden of a big house, so I don't think the fact that these were apartment dogs is relevant.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 04:05 PM
You do have to put more thought into it true. When we had a garden it was easier but it's worth the effort IMO
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 05:24 PM
The stories you have 'linked' to are at least FIVE YEARS OLD and regularly shown on the cable TV channels. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here?

It has feck all to do with dogs being kept in APARTMENTS!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2013, 05:25 PM
I have passed people who live in flats to have a dog, some high rise, their dogs were better looked after, had more attention, were better trained and had more exercise than many who had gardens and just turfed the dogs into the garden.

If I rember right those 2 dogs were trained to attack people and there had been lots of complaints about them being out of control.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have passed people who live in flats to have a dog, some high rise, their dogs were better looked after, had more attention, were better trained and had more exercise than many who had gardens and just turfed the dogs into the garden.

If I rember right those 2 dogs were trained to attack people and there had been lots of complaints about them being out of control.
Correct and as I recall the owners were lawyers and thought they were 'above the law'. The programme about this comes on all the time on cable and sat tv.

I live in an apartment and gave MORE THOUGHT to what sort of breed of dog I should get this time than I've ever done before when living in a house with a garden.

But even when in a house and garden I take my dogs out EVERY DAY for a long walk and at least 2 times after that for them to pee.

Gawd whatever next? Are we going to hear that married couples living in apartments shouldn't have kids? That would cut out most of mainland Europe!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 07:48 PM
I had a fox hound cross when I lived in a flat, so he was medium sized. We didn't have a garden but did not have a comunal entrance so that was a bit easier.

Actually, come to think of it, the first couple of hers we had Tonks we were living in a flat, but a ground floor flat with a garden.

It's much easier now that we do have a garden and a house.

I wouldn't have a very large breed of dog in a flat, but that's because I think of flats as being on the smaller size but then I'm sure you can get bigger properties to. Similarly I wouldn't have a very big breed of dog in a small house either.

Having a dog and no garden was a bit of a pain, mostly because Lenny had colitis so was prone to sudden bouts of diarrhoea which meant donning clothes and running him up the road to the nearest patch of grass ...rather than just standing naked at the back door like I do now!

I don't think having a big dog in a flat can be linked to a risein aggressive behaviour...or other behavioural issues, unless of corse the dog isn't being exercised enough..which people in houses can be just as guilty of.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I had a fox hound cross when I lived in a flat, so he was medium sized. We didn't have a garden but did not have a comunal entrance so that was a bit easier.

Actually, come to think of it, the first couple of hers we had Tonks we were living in a flat, but a ground floor flat with a garden.

It's much easier now that we do have a garden and a house.

I wouldn't have a very large breed of dog in a flat, but that's because I think of flats as being on the smaller size but then I'm sure you can get bigger properties to. Similarly I wouldn't have a very big breed of dog in a small house either.

Having a dog and no garden was a bit of a pain, mostly because Lenny had colitis so was prone to sudden bouts of diarrhoea which meant donning clothes and running him up the road to the nearest patch of grass ...rather than just standing naked at the back door like I do now!

I don't think having a big dog in a flat can be linked to a risein aggressive behaviour...or other behavioural issues, unless of corse the dog isn't being exercised enough..which people in houses can be just as guilty of.
Note to self....Catrinsparkles doesn't wear any clothes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >