View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 12:01 AM
I dont show but at my first visit to Crufts last year I was on a Discover Dogs stand , there was a poor doggie vomitting 2 or 3 times in a crate on a bench opposite the stand , we couldnt find the owner for at least 40mins , at least if there was a number of some ID we could have maybe got her quicker , so seems a sensible idea to me.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2012, 07:00 AM
I dont show but at my first visit to Crufts last year I was on a Discover Dogs stand , there was a poor doggie vomitting 2 or 3 times in a crate on a bench opposite the stand , we couldnt find the owner for at least 40mins , at least if there was a number of some ID we could have maybe got her quicker , so seems a sensible idea to me.

if it was in it's crate on the bench then it would have already been identifed by it's ring number ( which always stays on the bench ) - to be honest if the Kc enforced their 'all dogs must stay on their benches' ruling then then there would be no crates blocking gangways, no unidentified crates round the ringside and no need for this new initiative at all .....!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 07:08 AM
I have overcome the problem! I have just ordered two identity discs to clip on the crate.

One side has my initial and surname and mobile number (which the show secretary wont have) the other side has the dogs show names, which of course the dogs don't know.

Not ring numbers but as my crates are always on the bench not going to be a problem, no time will be wasted searching for my number in a catalogue either.

My dog is generally only on the bench alone if I have gone to the loo and can't take him with me.

Have also added I am microchipped (which there is talk of making compulsory reported in this weeks dog paper)
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
if it was in it's crate on the bench then it would have already been identifed by it's ring number ( which always stays on the bench ) - to be honest if the Kc enforced their 'all dogs must stay on their benches' ruling then then there would be no crates blocking gangways, no unidentified crates round the ringside and no need for this new initiative at all .....!
Disagree, most of the time it's other exhibitors that see other dogs in distress and help out.90% of the dogs i've helped have been dogs left unattended on the benches. The bench number doesn't really help at all as either people with hold their details, like myself or half the time people put their home numbers, again no help at a show. It's not about identifying the dog but identifying the owner that's the important thing. The PA systems half the time are barely audible so even calling out the name and breed wouldn't help. Having an ID with a mobile number on would be far better. Also apart from the main champ shows, open and a lot of Breed Champ shows, there are no benching. I think it's more the point, that you don't leave your dog unattended at a show or if you do, you get someone to keep an eye on them for you, whether on the bench or not.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I have overcome the problem! I have just ordered two identity discs to clip on the crate.

One side has my initial and surname and mobile number (which the show secretary wont have) the other side has the dogs show names, which of course the dogs don't know.

Not ring numbers but as my crates are always on the bench not going to be a problem, no time will be wasted searching for my number in a catalogue either.

My dog is generally only on the bench alone if I have gone to the loo and can't take him with me.

Have also added I am microchipped (which there is talk of making compulsory reported in this weeks dog paper)
Exactly, simples!
What i don't get is that this news from the KC has caused so much discussion, not so much on here but on other sites. I find it interesting as i've had my emergency details on my crate for the last 10 years. I thought it was common sense.
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2012, 01:02 AM
I would rather see benches made bigger for the larger breeds and cage fronts on all the benches. This would ensure more safety for dogs left on benches (While the owner nips to the loo) and for show owners who take their dogs past other dogs which are on their benches and they get a little to close for comfort. Also it would solve the problem of small children touching dogs which might not be suitable with the smaller child as some parents forget to ask if the dog is okay. What do others think?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I think you can buy those cage fronts for the benches your self. They work like a baby gate with the pressure pads on the sides.

Smaller dogs have to provide their own crates.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:28 PM
We have a limited show on 3rd March & KC have confirmed we have to apply this rule as it comes into force 1st March.
I have prepared blank cards & a felt tip so our members can comply though we all know most of people who bring cages, & the cage area is near the ring anyway. Mind you good job I saw it on another forum & asked KC as they had not let us know.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Luggage tags.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I've just ordered some rather nice fancy ones with the Breed on as a gift for a friend for Crufts.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >