Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Important information Crufts

Important information for all dog show exhibitors about displaying exhibit/bench numbers

The Kennel Club has announced an important new requirement which will affect exhibitors competing at Crufts next month, and all other dog shows with immediate effect.

The General Committee of the Kennel Club has approved a recommendation which requires exhibitors to display the exhibit/bench number on their crate, cage or container at all times. This is particularly important when cages etc are not on benches, and at unbenched shows.

Each exhibitor is responsible for providing their own crate or cage identification and should note that the original exhibit/bench number card, as provided by the show society, must not be used for this purpose.

This requirement follows a recent meeting of the Show Executive Sub-Committee’s Benching Working Party, where it was agreed that it is important to be able to contact exhibitors and identify dogs where a dog may be in distress or where the crate might be blocking a gangway.

At benched shows soft crates may only be put on benches if they are the appropriate size for both the dog and the bench, and the crate can be securely attached to the bench.

Both of these points have been introduced with the safety of all in mind, but most importantly that of the dog, and to minimise potential incidents and injuries.

Exhibitors should note that the above requirements have been introduced with immediate effect and will therefore apply to exhibitors attending Crufts.

The Kennel Club would also take this opportunity to remind exhibitors that Show Regulation F(1).17 requires that dogs should be present on their benches at all times except when being judged, prepared for exhibition or exercised.

ENDS
[046.12]
16th February 2012
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't see this working particularly well, I don't know my number at open shows until I am in the ring. It would be a more sensible option to have your name and breed on a tag on the crate which would be a constant rather than changing for every show.

My dog is not particularly happy on the bench, what do I do have an unhappy dog crated (stressed) or a happy dog off of the bench.

Who will police this, will they time each dog off of the bench, I very much doubt it.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't know how it will work at open shows and even breed champ shows. The way things work now will have to change.

More courious is why so close to Crufts they bring this out.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Because the public pay to see the dogs at Crufts, we pay even more to be there!

I can't see this working, some people wont leave their dogs on the bench at all.

Will wait to see what happens next!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:33 PM
It says if the crate is nor on the bench they still have to have ring number on it but not allowed to use the one that is on the benchprovided by the show.

I think if it was a matter of the public getting their monies worth it would hae been announced ages ago.

I think it is something else but don't know what.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:55 PM
I can see what they are trying to do. Having crates identified so that they know who they belong to. For the safety of the dog it is a good idea. However for ages. I have always had a tag which says in case of emergency please call, then my mobile number. As someone said earlier, half the time at Open Shows I don't know my exhibitor number as i don't buy a catalogue. Bit pointless anyway, as the number i supply on my entry form is my home number, so obviously i wouldn't be there. So I shall stick to what i do now.
The bit about the soft crates on benches are good. The many times i've pushed crates back onto the bench where the dogs lunged forward and tipped the crate forward. Not sure how you are going to be able to secure the cages to the benching. I certainly would't be able to with mine. But then i won't use them on benches anyway

The reminder of the rule of dogs being on their bench has always been there for Crufts. No one sticks to it but it's a reminder. I'm grateful for the benching. It's somewhere my dogs can be safe from grabbing hands and busy feet. The only thing i won't be told to do, is your not supposed to cover the crate up. I was told off one year at Crufts, to which i said you keep me and my dog here until 4pm, for his health he is having an hour of piece away from prying eyes. Never heard anything after that, after all the welfare of my dogs are more important than the public wouldn't the KC say lol
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Well we will see how it goes I have my patent application in for a wipable board that fixes to crates
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Well we will see how it goes I have my patent application in for a wipable board that fixes to crates
Good idea, I have a mini chalk board somewhere or might just laminate a square of paper and zip tie that on and take a whiteboard marker
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Have just seen a q & a on another site, any form of identification will be acceptable at open shows where the number is unknown prior to going in the ring. Why not at all shows.

I don't think this has been thought through properly.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 11:33 PM
The KC have clarified that as long as crates have the exhibitors name, details and mobile number on, this is acceptable. The whole idea is to locate the exhibitor quickly if there is a problem with the dog ie, it's distressed etc.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >