View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GoldenShadow1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2011, 09:34 AM
This is partly why I'm glad Rupert isn't ball obsessed, a lot of dogs around here are and I think we would get mugged all the time!! I do however often have a large amount of treats on me because that does make him tick, and I get mugged for those quite a lot.

I've had people tell me to put the treats away its like they are in my bag but I've got two in my hand for my dog because I'm trying to work with him can't you just get yours away..? Get proper mugged sometimes as well, jumping up and I had one dog nick my bag of crisps that I was eating whilst walking Roo about four weeks ago now. Sure all dogs like food but Rupert is incredibly greedy and he would never leap up and snap at someone's hand for food

If Rupert was that way inclined he'd be onlead as soon as I saw other people food or not so I could ensure all feet always stayed on the ground, else I'd go get him first sign of trouble but some people just let their dog leap up at me until I get Rupert together and go, they don't seem to care.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Perhaps the owner has never owned a dog ??

My dog is a nightmare on the lead when not with my other family members if I walk her on her own she she decides she doesnt want to go anymore she lie down and she isnt tired then i get loads of people going awwww she is tired -.-

If only they knew! My dog is such a drama queen too if we come across other dogs she usually kicks up a right fuss I just have to apologise and explain she is young still she is friendly just nervous of everything that isnt in the house or the back garden o.0

I find the dog world with more experienced dog owners how very judgemental they can be of others and not very understanding its like their dog is perfect theirfore everyone else should be the same!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=pippam;2318277]Perhaps the owner has never owned a dog ??

My dog is a nightmare on the lead when not with my other family members if I walk her on her own she she decides she doesnt want to go anymore she lie down and she isnt tired then i get loads of people going awwww she is tired -.-

If only they knew! My dog is such a drama queen too if we come across other dogs she usually kicks up a right fuss I just have to apologise and explain she is young still she is friendly just nervous of everything that isnt in the house or the back garden o.0

I find the dog world with more experienced dog owners how very judgemental they can be of others and not very understanding its like their dog is perfect theirfore everyone else should be the same![/QUOTE]

With respect, I don't think it's a matter of having the perfect dog (leave that one for the obedience world and suchlike), it's just training them up to have some basic, good manners around other people and other dogs imo?! That makes for an easier life for people like you and me who sometimes has a bit of bother with whatever, people who have taken the trouble to train their own dogs and be dog aware, make life a darn site easier for the likes of people like us.

When you take on any dog, it's your responsibility to train the basics, and deal with any issues that you can't train, so that you don't interfere with other people who just want to have nice walk out with their dogs, that's how I see it anyway Simples! You wouldn't expect somebody to get in a Ferrari and drive it up the road causing chaos if he couldn't drive it would you? That's just not fair on other road users, and to me, it's the same with our dogs, we have to have respect for other people, but a lot of people just don't care, it's me, me, me, same as some of those idiot drivers! Happens in all walks of life I suppose doesn't it!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by GoldenShadow1 View Post
This is partly why I'm glad Rupert isn't ball obsessed, a lot of dogs around here are and I think we would get mugged all the time!! I do however often have a large amount of treats on me because that does make him tick, and I get mugged for those quite a lot.

I have a ball obsessed dog, he does not take other dog's balls UNLESS they are thrown into the water near him at the same time he has been thrown his and then he DOES make a contest out of who can get there first.

However I just remove them, give them back to the owner etc.

I've had people tell me to put the treats away its like they are in my bag but I've got two in my hand for my dog because I'm trying to work with him can't you just get yours away..? Get proper mugged sometimes as well, jumping up and I had one dog nick my bag of crisps that I was eating whilst walking Roo about four weeks ago now. Sure all dogs like food but Rupert is incredibly greedy and he would never leap up and snap at someone's hand for food

If Rupert was that way inclined he'd be onlead as soon as I saw other people food or not so I could ensure all feet always stayed on the ground, else I'd go get him first sign of trouble but some people just let their dog leap up at me until I get Rupert together and go, they don't seem to care.
The bad behaviour is not due to the fact that a dog is food or ball obsessed, it is due to the fact that the owners have no control.......
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I never get this. If another dog grabs our ball Daisy flies at them roaring and they let go and run away while Shamus checks the owner for edibles. I stand about looking vague and they go away.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Ive had someone be dragged over by their dog just so their dog could snap in his face. I have no idea why.

People on here go on about the 'he's friendly brigade'

I meet the 'be niiiice brigade'

oh well....
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I never get this. If another dog grabs our ball Daisy flies at them roaring and they let go and run away while Shamus checks the owner for edibles. I stand about looking vague and they go away.
that made me laugh
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post

I find the dog world with more experienced dog owners how very judgemental they can be of others and not very understanding its like their dog is perfect theirfore everyone else should be the same!
I see what you are saying and sometimes people may not realise that a dog could actually injure theirs for approaching or that their toy may be too small and if their dog takes it could choke....little but important things. I think we are all inexperienced at some point as you need to start somewhere but I do agree with Helena that once you are aware of these things it is good manners....
Sometimes people may come accross as 'knowing it all' but in actual fact they may actually be trying to prevent harm coming to other peoples dogs.....or they are constantly bombarded with strange dogs when out and are just a bit fed up with it.
[QUOTE=Helena54;2318282]

I find the dog world with more experienced dog owners how very judgemental they can be of others and not very understanding its like their dog is perfect theirfore everyone else should be the same![/QUOTE]

With respect, I don't think it's a matter of having the perfect dog (leave that one for the obedience world and suchlike), it's just training them up to have some basic, good manners around other people and other dogs imo?! That makes for an easier life for people like you and me who sometimes has a bit of bother with whatever, people who have taken the trouble to train their own dogs and be dog aware, make life a darn site easier for the likes of people like us.

When you take on any dog, it's your responsibility to train the basics, and deal with any issues that you can't train, so that you don't interfere with other people who just want to have nice walk out with their dogs, that's how I see it anyway Simples! You wouldn't expect somebody to get in a Ferrari and drive it up the road causing chaos if he couldn't drive it would you? That's just not fair on other road users, and to me, it's the same with our dogs, we have to have respect for other people, but a lot of people just don't care, it's me, me, me, same as some of those idiot drivers! Happens in all walks of life I suppose doesn't it!
I do agree, sometimes its not about others thinking they are better or knowing it all its just about manners etc. If a pup comes running up I am aware that 'stuff happens' but when you have DA dogs running over etc you do start to get a bit fed up with it.....the other owners believe it or not seem to think that its acceptable....or people want my dog as a stooge and dont let on that theirs is unpredictable so allow them over etc......even on lead, I know it isnt easy but I do not want my dog being barked, snarled and snapped at!! and I have been on both sides
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I've got a ball-stealer (he'll give them back but he likes to pop and strip tennis balls and he's very very good at it) - he goes on the lead when another dog with a ball is around.

Doesn't stop them letting their dogs charge up to him, ball in gob which they promptly drop to have a good sniff though - so I just can't win.
Dizzi I sympathise with you there. If Lana did that I wouldn't demand I get the ball back as I would feel responsible for the other dog getting it.

I get annoyed with the people who know their dog will steal the ball and chew it to bits but alllows their dog to come running up, not shouting any warning or anything and then shrug their shoulders when you ask for it back. I used to be really polite and say it didn't matter but after losing 4 or 5 balls in a week got fed up so I don't let them off lightly now

I usually have one or two old balls in my bag for when dogs I know chew them up, when I see them in the distance I swap balls with Lana so the other dog gets the old one and can do what they like with it if the owner can't get it back.

It really only needs a bit of consideration from all owners to make things work. One woman whos dogs demolishes balls always stands in the distance with hers onlead until I notice her, I swap balls and wave and she lets her dog of the lead to come and play with Lana. Her dog sounds like yours, can demolish the balls so quickly you wouldn't believe it

Well my dog certainly isn't perfect and neither are the other dogs who come to the park I go to. In most situations we're not asking for perfection from the dogs, we're asking the owners to control their dogs. If the owner can't do that even if they have their dog on the lead, such as allowing the dog to go up to others when they know if will steal the ball, or snap at the dog or anything else, surely it's not difficult to hold onto the lead and keep the dog where it is instead of allowing it to go up to the other dog, simply following it and not even trying to hold it back.

What's the point of a lead if you're not actually using it to keep your dog away from what you know will allow it to do those things.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:18 AM
I'll add (to outweigh the "experienced dog owners are judgemental" comments)... Layton's my first dog, Nancy's the second and I've only owned a dog for 7 months.

Yet I know Layton's a ball-popping scoundrel, I warn other owners that Layton's a ball-popping scoundrel and I put him on the lead so he can't be a ball-stealing and popping scoundrel... yet still they let their dogs charge up and I end up with my foot on the other dog's ball trying to kick it away so it doesn't get nicked.

As for letting balls go - stuff that lark - the ones I buy for Layton (I don't always take them out with us) are flipping expensive tough ones - I'm not handing them out as freebies when they're £6 or so a pop! I go up and ask for them back - I put a joking tone of voice on and use the kiddie-type phrase "can we have our ball back" - but it does wind me up no end (there's a particular GSD - whose owner also doesn't scoop up any of it's poo which is another annoyance - who is dreadful for it where we are).
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >