Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 08:52 PM

Dog Mating

Lana is currently in season and as I was walking along the road got to thinking about what if a big dog decided he fancied her and she was in one of the receptive days. If big doggy took no notice of me saying no and they got together what then happens.

I've heard stories about buckets of water being thrown over dogs as otherwise they couldn't seperate. Is that true or would they simply be at it and once he was finished they would seperate and that would be that.

I'm certainly not intending for this to happen and not expecting it to happen but got to wondering what would one do in such a situation.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 08:54 PM
NOTHING will stand in the way of true love. Remember there is always the morning after pill! LOL
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
NOTHING will stand in the way of true love. Remember there is always the morning after pill! LOL
That's very true! Even dogs have one - it's the Alizin mismate injection. If more people knew about it - do you think there would be fewer 'accidental' litters....?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:10 PM

Oh deary......I have this image of you standing there nonchalantly whistling and reading a book or something whilst praying that nobody comes around the corner to witness your predicament! It can all take some time you know

Probably best to carry a couple of buckets of iced water with you every time you go out - or a tent to preserve modesty (not for the dogs, YOU could hide in there until they had finished).
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:24 PM
LOL I realise if it was a big determined doggy I wouldn't be able to stand in the way of true love haha but what happens. I have no idea about doggies doing it, do they do it and then stop, would I have to stand there whistling while they were at it and just wait for them to finish or would I have to phone for someone to bring a bucket of water.

If it were ever to happen Lana would be right at the vets for the morning after pill

I have the money all saved for August when she will be getting speyed. No chance of little puppies here no matter how many idiots say you should let her have pups I'll have one of them. Have you ever noticed that the people who say that are the ones you would never hand over a puppy to anyway

bitkin, just read yourpost and notice you mentioned the standing around whistling as well haha
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:30 PM
I would be very careful about walking her. When my bitch was in season (she had her first before she was spayed), we stuck to private fields where I knew we wouldn't come across other dogs. If I didn't have access to them then I would probably stick to antisocial hours (mega early or mega late) and/or just drive to enclosed places, e.g. fenced in tennis courts. Not worth the risk really. I know some people who are happy to go to the extreme of not even walking the dog when she's in season, sticking to games in the garden and plenty of mental exercise to tire her out instead.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I had been wondering if a bottle of water would do, save me the hassle of carrying the buckets

Isn't it funny the things that go through your mind when you're walking the dog. Only had one dog come up to us in the park and I knew him. Each time he came near I said no and told him to go and get his mummy. As Lana didn't like him sniffing at her he eventually went away but then got to wondering about the above and what happens.

It's good to be prepared for every eventuality I presume they must be able to seperate naturally or else surely at some point in my life I would have seen two dogs stuck together
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
I presume they must be able to seperate naturally or else surely at some point in my life I would have seen two dogs stuck together
You've just been lucky, that's all! There really IS no way to separate them without causing serious injury once they are, erm, stuck in.... so to speak!

Not sure if you're familiar with the ins and outs of canine courtship (no pun intended!) but the male has a large swelling on his penis that literally locks into the female for about half an hour (or more).

To try to separate them once this has happened could be fatal.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:41 PM
you take her out at non popular dog walking times(middle of no where is best lol),and keep her onlead(warn anyone u do see with an offlead dog before it gets to u).......oh and dont leave her in the garden unattended,then u shouldt get into that situation....simples really
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:43 PM
krlyr I've had no problem with walking Lana. I time it in the mornings to go to the park when there are very few or no dogs there and most of the dogs in the park are done but I can be in the middle with Lana offlead playing with her ball and get a great view if anyone comes into the park. She gets put on her lead and we walk the opposite way to them staying well clear unless I know them.

There was only the one day when I went to the park at 4 o'clock, never been at that time and loads of dogs were there which is when the one came up to us and although he wanted to, Lana said no and so did I and he's a very obedient border collie so not really a problem although I did feel sorry for him. I rushed through and went out the bottom gate and won't make the mistake of going at that time again.

I remember stories from years ago about dogs come running from miles away after a bitch in heat but I think that's all they were, stories. I've never experienced it and neither have any of the other bitch owners that I've spoken to. Maybe it's because so many males are done now or Lana doesn't give out much smell.

But I still want to know what happens
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >