Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2010, 12:08 AM

I'm an irresponsible dog owner - apparently

I've always said how lucky I am in the park I go to with Lana, how everyone is friendly. Got a young couple moved here recently who have a dog who they have no control over. No recall, no getting anything out of it's mouth.

Sunday was the 3rd time this dog of theirs swallowed one of Lanas balls, thin latex squeeky ball. Now where we were playing they couldn't avoid seeing us so why when they know their dog steals balls and swallows them did they come near us, it's a huge park and very easy to avoid dogs/people you don't want to meet.

They totally ignored me and their dog taking the ball so I shouted after them and asked if their dog had swallowed the ball. Yes they said and it was my fault. You are a f****** irresponsible dog owner they said. It's apparently my fault that their dog swallows the ball. I shouldn't have balls that their dog can swallow. I said they should train their dog. They need to have some sort of control to recall it and get stuff out it's mouth, or they need to avoid me.

Well the next thing this big tough guy, 6'3" or 6'4" early 20's, stood right in front of 5' me 56 years old leaned over me and started cursing and swearing it was my fault and how irresponsible I was and then told me to f*** off. So I stuck my middle finger up and said f****** swivel. You should have seen his face.

I was walking up the hill and turned and said again they needed to train their dog so he came after me. I took the lead out my pocket to wrap it round my hand with the metal bits out just in case he was going to hit me, I was going to make damn sure I got him back. Not sure what his intentions were but he saw the lead in my hand so just stood over me again shouting about how irresponsible I am and about me buying cheap f****** balls.

This couple don't shout on their dog, don't shout that they are near or give any warning, have actually no need to come anywhere near us so I can't believe they think it's my fault. There are other dogs in the park who steal balls, some rip them to shreds but if they are coming anywhere near the owners shout out either to their dog or to whoever has the ball so the owner can pick it up out of harms way. This couple do neither. Why not train it, keep it on a long lead, put a soft muzzle on it or stay over the other side of the park.

Maybe they want to intimidate me into buying expensive toys for my dog so that their dog can come along and steal them, this way they get the toys for nothing. Heaven save us from people who think everything is always someone elses fault and not theirs.

Will be keeping an eye out for them again and phone my son. We'll see if the big tough guy is so tough when someone about his own height is around. Personally I'm betting he'll sh*t himself.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Argh what is wrong with people?

That sounds like a horrible experience, stupid small-minded man!
Well, unfortunately, I'm sure their dog will only have a few lives left before swallowing one of your balls results in an obstruction and very scary time/lots of money at the vets, hopefully they might then take training their dog seriously ... or maybe then they'll decide it's your fault and be even worse
Beggars belief really, their attitude.

Someone once decided to intimidate Kev when we were out with the dogs - soon decided not to approach too close when the dogs cottoned onto his intentions and stood next to Kev bristling! Not so much of a big man then
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Personally I would report this to the Police. Yes I very much doubt the police will do anything but it's useful to have it on record incase anything happens in the future to you or anyone else.

I had one last year who got abusive and threatening because he said I didn't pick up after my dog. I stated that Harley had just had a pee. He said male dogs don't pee like that. I just said as always Harley has always pee'd like a girl (which he has and I always pick up anyway). Anyway to cut the story down he got verbally abusive. So the following day I reported it to the police. They cam round that afternoon. They then went to visit the man and came back and told me he wouldn't bother me again. I saw him out a few days later and he immediately turned and walked the other way.

I must admit though our Police aren't exactly overworked here, but I think it's always worth getting incidents logged even if nothing is immediately actionable.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 02:02 AM
OOhh where do they walk??? I will come over and see if they want to talk to me like that LOL
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Shame i'm not still in fife - i'd have come and met you on a walk and brought Monty - then we'd see!!!!! Big man, wee dog - nah, big man would lose.

You should report him though - thats no way to behave. I hope you don't have to see them too often.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Thats awful - There is only one man on our top park we dont get along with and another on our bottom park we dont get on with (us dog owners) the one on the top park has a bearded collie who he spends most of his time shooing other dogs away and shouting at his dog - the dog clearly just wants to play. The man on the bottom has two GSD's one is blind so never leaves his side on or offlead but he got a pup last year and wont let it play with other dogs - making it dog aggressive and wouldnt let anyone pet it or anything...and he lets her off lead to play with her ball and we have a farce every morning - me and Lola's owner - to put our dogs on whilst he walks past - his wife however encourages her to play with other dogs - the dog only barks and growls - she tried it with a staffie and I was like this is going to end in tears - it didnt

But yes, report them - and buy a ball on a string that way if the dog swallows it you can pull it out lol - doubt that would work though - god can you imagine if they picked on the wrong people - how rude.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Wow, that was definitely uncalled for and you handled it very nicely. I'd LOVE to see a man or anyone for that matter, try getting anywhere near me in an agressive way. Luke doesn't like people too close to me lol.
I don't think we're allowed to bring dog toys to our local dog park, but it's to prevent resourse guarding or dogs fighting over them I think. I don't take Luke there after the first two times we went, too afraid of something going wrong. I've heard good stories and bad about it, and alot of people have so many horror stories about dog parks I'm kind of paranoid. I have Luke socialize with dogs and owners I know and trust in smaller groups where should anything happen we can alteast try to contain it. It's hard though, because alot of times you can't train a dog to behave perfectly around other dogs in a park setting unless you actually GO to the park...which takes time to train. So if you're just starting out, you're going to have dogs that aren't perfect yet, atleast that's what I've seen anyway. I don't think it's always the owner's fault..even Luke does things out of the ordinary at times where I'm standing there blushing saying OMG he NEVER does that!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 07:57 AM
I`d just turn round and go the other way when I saw them. It`s really not worth getting into these sort of arguments. They`ll pick on the wrong person one day...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-11-2010, 07:57 AM
How scary I agree it might be worth letting the police know people shouldn't be allowed to get away with this kind of behaviour it is anti social.

Ollie likes other dogs tennis balls he doesn't swallow them though but he does try to walk away with them, once he managed too and unusually I had a spare one out I don't usually take one as he rarely plays with it. I just gave Ollie's ball to the other dog and everyone was happy.

The person who has a dog and a tennis ball knows him and throws the ball in the other direction and if Bramley does get near Ollie he warns him off the ball anyway and I make sure Ollie does not steal balls again.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Wonna borrow suki she doesn't like men at the best of times lol.
But on a serious note I would report it just so it's on paper. Some people want stringing up. Hope your okay?!
ATD x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >